“Probably better than other hotels in JB but still not good enough.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of KSL Hotel & Resort

Save Saved
You added KSL Hotel & Resort to your Saves list
KSL Hotel & Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   33 Jalan Seladang, Taman Abad, Johor Bahru 80250, Malaysia   |
Ranked #17 of 76 hotels in Johor Bahru
Singapore, Singapore
“Probably better than other hotels in JB but still not good enough.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Given that it is the 2nd day of Chinese New Year and most families are doing staycation from Singapore and other parts of Malaysia, it is probably the busiest time of the year for them. But it does not give them the excuses for the below:

1. We arrive at around 430pm and it took us more than 1 hour to get our rooms. I overheard conversations that some of the guests were still waiting after 4 hours. In the end, we got 1 room and we got the 3 other rooms at 7pm.

2. The first room quilt cover was dirty. Note that we came to the room late and there should be ample time to change it.

3. When we were at the lobby at ground floor at 8pm, we were hit by a sudden whiff of stinging sensation which cause us to cough non-stop. Many of the guests at the lobby experienced the same and the staff quickly opened the door. I am very concerned that the smell would get into air con system.

This is one of the newer hotels in JB city and I had higher expectations. That being said, I will try another hotel next time when I come back JB.

• Stayed February 2013

625 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

I paid RM284++ for the night of 5 Feb, which comes up to around SGD120, so I'm comparing with 3-star hotels in SG that came in similar price range.

Location wise, it is near the customs and indeed a 5-min drive from the causeway. Taking a cab or bus should not take much longer. The hotel is strategically above the KSL City Mall, which is convenient in my opinion. I went there to do shopping; I could shop at the mall after nights fall, so I would be free from the worry of JB's high violent crime rate. In the day, there is shuttle bus to City Square; other popular malls are also nearby.

Check in was indeed through taking a queue number, and it was weird I had to wait at the lobby (decorated with plush gold-ish sofa) for 5 min when there was no one else. The staff was friendly and fluent in English. She asked me what language I preferred for my morning papers, but that paper did not appear even after I checked out at 12pm...

The room was decent. There were standard amenities like toiletries, hair dryer and complimentary coffee, typical of a 3-up star hotel. They did not have the weird see through toilet wall like some new hotels do. The safe did not work, but I did not bother to ask the staff to fix it since I was only there to sleep. The sheets were clean, with some stains on the outside of the quilt cover (which I would not touch anyway). The air con was strong, no musty smell. The TV had good reception; I only watched Ch U, cos too lazy to switch. There is no ironing board.

Breakfast was at infusion Cafe at G floor. There were 2 main buffet lines, serving local and western delights. The highlight of the local line was nasi lemak, nothing fantastic, but up to standard. There was sambal sotong, buttered vegetables... The western line, and the standard fare of cereals, salad, fruits and omelette was so-so. The pastry was good. There was dim sum; I tried the siew mai and har kow, which was edible. Overall, the breakfast would not satisfy a gourmet, but sure can feed a layman who is lazy to venture out of hotel for breakfast.

The service at the cafe was so-so. Collection of plates were prompt, but coffee and tea is self-service. I'm a coffee addict, so I thought their coffee was bland and skippable. I found hair in the curry, but as said, I'm not a gourmet, so I just skipped the dish. The dish cleaners also know which utensils to wash clean. Those i found dirty were not those I would put food on (like the plate for holding coffee cup).

For a good location, 3-up star service, cleanliness, this is sure a value for money hotel. I would definitely stay here again for my future shop-escade.

• Stayed February 2013
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

KSL resort is the newest thing in Johor and it is very well positioned to most things in Johor with fabulous restaurants, Hawker stalls and shopping mall and the rates are very reasonable. However it is not 5 star. For being brand new there are many faults found in your room such bath drains that leak across the floor, no mini bar condiments just 2 bottles of water, very average TV reception and no English global channels like BBC, Al Jazeera, CNN or any of the sports channels. There is one Singapore channel for morning news. There is a mediocre gym which is tiny but you have to walk through a bar and grill to get it. There is no club floor And club lounge and in the morning breakfast session coffee is mass produced and self serve from Army style field urns. Everyone seems to be a smoker yet every time I book a non-smoking weeks in advance they seem to be taken which leads me to the last point. A 5 star hotel that takes a reservation based on customer wishes would never not honour reservation and treat you like a walk-in customer. Convenient, value for money but not a 5 star experience.

Room Tip: Always insist on a non-smoking room if you booked one, don't let them tell you otherwise
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, null, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Was apprehensive about staying here due to the bad reviews but was pleasantly surprised... checkin was a breeze at 5 mins and checkout was just as fast. The rooms were clean, wifi works, bed comfy and location is fantastic for short jaunts about JB. Cinema at the connected KSL shopping center is a real plus and you have tonnes of food options.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Consider as one of a resort city mall hotel, we would say it was indeed a bad first impression. Front office -no greeting / unfriendly / no further guildlines on what soever about the service that might be provided for us / no explaination and information given to us. . We have added information on our trip regarding on our stay since this is also our honeymoon trip but there were no extra effort and service given to us. . Anyhow, the bellman was friendly as he shared information for us especially taxi fare and suggested our trip to town.

• Stayed January 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Looking at the pictures I thought it would be of standard. Nope. Why?
1) I paid for a room for 3 pax. They only provided towels for 2. And when I called house keeping for an extra towel because obviously I would need it, they gave it on a RM100 loan. It came with a receipt stating that if I didnt return the towels the next day I would be charged RM 100!!
2) The towel came stained *rolls eyes*
3) The stupid shower (too high to reach) was pointed to the glass door. So whenever I took a shower, the water ran along the glass door.. leaking out.. leaking into the room!
4) The stupid airconditioner was not adjustable.
5) The lobby was confusing and you had to take a number to check in.

It was overall a terrible experience and I would never recommend anyone to stay there

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
KL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Hubby's friend booked this hotel for us but I was truly apprehensive after reading so many bad reviews of the hotel. But I'm happy to say that we had a good experience at the hotel. We got a room with a queen bed and single bed, which sleeps 2 adults and 2 children comfortably. Perhaps because of that, our room didn't have the coffee table and sofa. Our only grouse is that the bathroom was a tad too small, and stains were spotted in the shower cubicle.

Check-in and check-out was a breeze as well - they have a queue system where guests can wait comfortably at their lobby lounge while waiting for their number to be called. Apparently refreshments are also served for the waiting guests but since we didn't have to wait, I cannot verify the refreshments bit.

All the staff we encountered from the front desk, concierge, bell boy, housekeeping and restaurant staff were generally courteous and polite. We requested for extra towels and iron/ironing board, and all came promptly.

There was a good spread at breakfast, with local foods like nasi lemak, rendang, mee goreng, roti canai, porridge, dim sum, alongside the standard items like selection of bread/pastries, cereals, ham and sausages, waffle, egg, salad, fruits and yoghurt.

A big area of improvement would be in terms of security. There was no control in terms of access to room floors, despite the hotel being next to a large mall so outsiders could have easy access to guest rooms. So if I were travelling alone, I would likely NOT book this hotel. I would have rated this hotel higher if not for the security.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to KSL Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!