“Walking Distance” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 82 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Penang Island, Malaysia
“Walking Distance”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Just a so-so hotel, cant find any justifications for it to be classified as a 4-star hotel. Best fit is like a 2.5star, going by international star-ratings.
Was told that owners are from Singapore, which then surprises me, as most Singaporeans are a tad more attentive to cleaniless and 1st impressions. Lobby carpet/floorings were a disagrace.
Entrance to hotel no better than walking into a 7-Eleven store.
Buffet breakfast would had been acceptable, if the people working in there, pays a little more attention to empty containers. I see people walking all over the place, none paying attention to food being served in the counters. I walked out and had my breakfast at the Nasi Kandar shop nearby (at least the people there were more than happy to serve!!).
No car park facilities, no one apparantly paid any attention to this requirement
4-star hotel with this kind of room tariffs pitted against the toiletries provided dont equate. Hotel would be better off reclassifying her ratings - people would appreciate honesty a lot more.
Dont know where they get their coffee packets from - trying opening it without a knife or blade.
Plus side - within easy walking distance from JB Sentral and to CIQ - a breeze.

Room Tip: They typical choice to go up higher applies here.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

CitrusJB, Hotel Manager at Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Dear showardpark,

Greetings from Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru!

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel via Tripadvisor. I am absolutely delighted to hear that you found our location to be simply idyllic! It is always an absolute joy to receive such comments from our guests. It was and always will be an immense pleasure, to assist and serve you during your stay.

I regret to hear that the state of our carpets in the lobby was not acceptable and I agree that it should have been much better. We are glad to inform you that the hotel lobby is currently undergoing refurbishment and there will be an immense positive change to the ambience, within the next few days.

I can imagine your frustration as well as your anxiety of having to park your vehicle away from the hotel. I sincerely do not want to come across as being defensive but we offer several options for parking which are, choices of parking lots within the vicinity of the hotel. This is presented at the moment of arrival and location maps with the relevant parking rates are provided, to assist our guests as much as possible. I do understand the inconvenience of having to park away from the hotel and opportunely, the nearest parking lots are within 200 metres from our lobby.

I do realize your disappointment when the team at our Café was not as attentive and responsive as they should have been. Replenishment of food during the buffet and the service quality should never be compromised. Please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of attention and improper service, you endured.

There is no substitute for a cup of coffee either, first thing in the morning or after a long day and our sachets would have prohibited you from this joy. Fortunately, we have replaced them as it is true, that it would probably take an army to open a single sachet.

We have addressed the shortcomings you regrettably encountered, during your stay and I am happy to assure you that you will not endure this plight again, on your next stay. We thank you for your comments as it helps us to improve our services and this ultimately ensures that every one of our guests has a blissful stay at our hotel.

We are looking forward to ensuring that your next stay with us is a memorable one, filled with many joyful experiences. Please do not hesitate to contact our reservations team via the email below or visit our website to make reservations as we welcome and appreciate the pleasure of having you here, as our guest again.

reservations@citrushoteljb.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Kuching, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Hotel location and cleanliness are great.the downside was,no babycot are provided even when i requested earlier in my booking.com. At the hotel when I call asking for hairdryer, no hairdryer were sent to my room. In my bookingi mention for 2 single bed they gave me 1 queen size bed.other than that,it was ok.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Dear Geraldine G,

Greetings from Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru!

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel via Tripadvisor. I am absolutely delighted to hear that you found our location and the cleanliness of our rooms to be simply idyllic! It is always an absolute joy to receive such comments from our guests and I shall definitely let the team know that you enjoyed our services as well as our hospitality. It was and always will be an immense pleasure, to assist and serve you during your stay.

I regret to hear that we were not able provide you with a baby cot, hair dryer and a room with two single beds as you requested. I can imagine the frustration and anxiety you may have endured as you expected these requests to be fulfilled upon your arrival at our hotel. I sincerely do not want to come across as being defensive but the requests you made are provided based on availability. Our utmost emphasis is to consistently ensure that our guests are comfortable and utterly satisfied whenever they stay with us. I apologize for our inability to fulfil your requests and would like to assure you that they have been addressed accordingly.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights. I would only recommend this hotel if you are looking for a good location which is near the CIQ, town centre area. It is just next to city square, opposite CIQ building. Very convenient if you are planning to travel to Singapore. Cleanliness - only acceptable. No parking for guest with cars. Elevators are small. Bed is uncomfortable & pillow is in a poor condition. Breakfast has limited choices.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
CitrusJB, Hotel Manager at Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Dear scianray,

Greetings from Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru!

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel via Tripadvisor. I am absolutely delighted to hear that you liked our location and the various attractions straddling our hotel as well. It was and always will be an immense pleasure, to assist and serve you during your stay.

I regret to hear that the cleanliness was not as you had anticipated and adding to this disappointment, the beds and pillows were not as comfortable as you needed them to be. I apologize for these deficiencies and would like to assure you that they have been addressed accordingly.

I regret to hear that you found our buffet breakfast to be limited in selection. Our emphasis has always been to ensure that the quality and taste of our buffet breakfast is consistently scrumptious. Our next goal will be to ensure that we emphasize quantity as well. I apologize for the disappointment you would have experienced during your breakfast.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

I went with my friends for a nite Johor trip and Citrus was a good choice,value for money and right smack next City Square.I booked a standard room but was upgraded to higher level which they say its for "Club floor" rooms but i guess made no difference to us cos we just needed a place to rest for the night!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Pamela A,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel via Tripadvisor. I am absolutely delighted to hear that you found our hotel to be of good value and that our location was simply idyllic! It was and always will be an immense pleasure, to assist and serve you during your stay.

I am pleased that we made your stay even more enjoyable by upgrading you as well as your guests to our Club Rooms. We look forward to ensuring that your next stay with us is just as memorable and filled with the same joyful experiences as well.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Visited the hotel with my husband. Had a good stay. The reception team was very helpful and pleasant. We stayed on the 10th floor and were able to utilise the lounge. My husband loves pool so he had a good time with the pool table. The rooms were clean and spacious. Shall definitely be back.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Citragandha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel via Tripadvisor. I am absolutely delighted to hear that you liked the cleanliness as well as the spaciousness of our rooms. I will certainly let the team at the front desk know that you enjoyed their hospitality and service. It was and always will be an immense pleasure, to assist and serve you during your stay.

I am pleased that your husband was particularly overjoyed to be able to use the pool table at the Club Lounge, at his leisure. We look forward to ensuring that your next stay with us is just as memorable and filled with the same joyful experiences as well.

Sutton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

When you drive up from clean and orderly Singapore after a long evening navigating the traffic of the border crossing, the crowed grubby area around the hotel hits your numb senses like a bomb. It is literally in the middle of of everything. Which probably the best part of the hotel.
You can theoretically walk from the border crossing via the mall to the hotel as it just over the road from the old station, there is a mall to the north of the hotel that had some good clothes shops and a few fast food outlets. Further East is the Indian area and street markets with lots going on right through the night. So you don't really need to take a cab anywhere unless you want to go to the bigger out of town shopping centers.

Checking in seemed to take a while, you get the feeling staff behind the counter don't know what they were doing. Promising an overpriced taxi to take u back to Singapore in 10 minutes and then keeping us waiting for two hours did not do much to change our mind.

The rooms were basic, very small but reasonably clean, the 3D wall art features were interesting, we were told we were upgraded to deluxe rooms, I dread to think what the standard rooms were like. Overall the room was not worth the price had it not been for the location. The corridors and staircases smelled of cigarette smoke and were even more basic. They had an old office block feel, which it probably was at one time.

The carpets in the reception and room could do with a deep clean, you won't want your kid eating off the floors or even crawling on it But I noticed that this a feature of most hotels in Malaysian cities even the highly rated swanky ones.

The safe and the phone also did not work.

Breakfast was included was quite extensive and tasty, they had a full English, continental and Malay options in the buffet. Get there early as refilling was a bit hit and miss.

Personally those reviewers who left 4-5 overall rating because of they were happy with the condition of the rooms but complained about the breakfast...I think they really got their priorities and standards slightly messed up.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
CitrusJB, Hotel Manager at Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear shaariq,

Greetings from Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru!

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel via Tripadvisor. I am absolutely delighted to hear that you relished our buffet breakfast and that you found our location to be idyllic as well. I will certainly let the team know that you enjoyed our hospitality and service. It was and always will be an immense pleasure, to assist and serve you during your stay.

I regret to hear that our associates at the front desk were not as swift in checking you in as you had anticipated. Adding to this disappointment, the phone and the safe in the room were not functioning as it should and the carpets in the lobby were not attended to appropriately. I apologize for these deficiencies and would like to assure you that they have been addressed accordingly.

I can imagine your frustration as well as your anxiety of having to wait for two hours and being charged excessively for the taxi services, during your departure from our hotel. As December 2013, was the peak period of the hotels in Johor Bahru; some taxi operators have been known to charge excessively and unreasonable delays is a consequence of this period as well. I sincerely do not want to come across as being defensive but we have made arrangements for only one dedicated taxi operator to assist our guests beginning 2014. This will assist in eradicating excessive rates and unreasonably long waiting periods.

We have addressed the shortcomings you regrettably encountered, during your stay here in December of last year and I am happy to assure you that you will not endure this plight again, on your next stay.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I've booked a standard room for a night stay in JB and was lucky to be upgraded to a family room for free. Room was spacious and clean. For the price, it's definitely cheap & super-good!

Pros
- Mama shop (local general store) located at the Hotel's ground floor opens for 24hrs!
- Coffeshop aross the street served one of the best Roti Prata (or Roti Chanai for Malaysians) and awesome fish curry for late night suppers.
- A Police Post outside the Hotel building (just in case)
- City Square (Shopping Mall) across the street
- 10 minutes walk to Checkpoint (great for those from the other side of Causeway)

Cons
- The Hotel Breakfast Buffet was below Malaysian Breakfast Standards (hehk)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear HilmanHS,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel via Tripadvisor. I am absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed our services and that you liked the spaciousness as well as the cleanliness of our rooms. I will certainly let the team know that you enjoyed our hospitality and service. It was and always will be an immense pleasure, to assist and serve you during your stay.

I am pleased that you found our location, the local delicacies and the numerous attractions straddling our hotel to be simply irresistible! We look forward to ensuring that your next stay with us is just as memorable and filled with the same joyful experiences as well.

reservations@citrushoteljb.com

Been to Citrus Hotel Johor Bahru? Share your experiences!