“A mixed bag” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Thistle Johor Bahru

You added Thistle Johor Bahru to your Saves list
Thistle Johor Bahru
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Sungai Chat, Johor Bahru 80720, Malaysia (Formerly Hyatt Regency)   |
Ranked #8 of 78 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“A mixed bag”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I have stayed at the thistle Johor several times on business. What surprises me how the rooms look and feel very tired . I have been in a deluxe room for the past week , excellent views from the room BUT the bathroom was in a poor state - paint peeling off the walls, mould on the silicone around the bath very dirty ceiling.
As for the room itself the carpet had a number of stains the bed side table had rings on the surface where people had placed glasses

I generally feel the rooms need a good refurb or as a start a good clean.

The good points , the teams in the restaurants and bars have all been very friendly and welcoming especially the guys in the pool side bar and the hive, which also very good entertainment from the local band.

I will be back in a couple of months no doubt and will update my review

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
ThistleJB, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for choosing Thistle Johor Bahru on your recent visit. Your thoughts are important to us.

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us.
Such information enables us to monitor the application of our service standards while simultaneously allowing us to rectify any shortfalls.

Your comments with regards to the bathroom cleanliness, stained carpet and bed side table are noted and shall be looked into.
Thank you for your positive feedback on our friendly team members.

I truly appreciate your kind patronage and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you to the hotel in the near future.

Edward and team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

...The hotel n the surroundigs was great.I had a great time.I would like to compliment about one of your Room Service staff,Fazwan(if i got the spelling right).He is very courteous&friendly.He was quick&fast about his recomandation of the day&recomandation in the Room Service menu.He was fluent&cheerful with me over the phone.He made my dinner,a great dinner with his recomandations.My food was delivered to me,in the time frame.He also gave me a courtesy call,enquiring regarding my dinner.Bravo Fazwan...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear reviewer,

It was certainly a pleasure to read your comments and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our hotel layout and our courteous & friendly team member, Fazzuan.
It is indeed very encouraging for him to know that he played a part in shaping a positive stay experience for you.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

The two large single beds provided in the executive room is definitely worth compliment as its very suitable for family with kids.The exernal cladding needs routine cleaning as we have booked the seaview room yet the glasses are stained and dirty. The pool can be improved with child friendly slides or infant pool. The breakfast variety is quite limited. The upkeep of the cleanliness of the room can be further improved especially the toilet.

• Stayed March 2013
ThistleJB, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear reviewer,

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us.

Your comments with regards to the bedroom glass panel, pool, breakfast variety and bathroom cleanliness are noted and will be looked into.
Thank you for your positive feedback on our beds.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

The hotel was lovely. Great for families as they provide shuttle to legoland. The pool size is just great as it is huge and don't feel cramped up during the holiday season. Housekeeping was wonderful with the regular cleaning and the refills of bottled water daily. We went to the pub at night, nice place to hangout with band performance :)

Room Tip: book a deluxe room and above. the superior room is old and not refurbished.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ThistleJB, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear reviewer,

I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our shuttle service, swimming pool as well as our housekeeping service. I'm also delighted to note that you enjoyed being entertain by our in house band performance. Your positive feedback will certainly encourage us to continuously seek for improvement.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Thistle Johor Bahru and I would be delighted to facilitate any future reservations.

Please do not hesitate to contact me.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

My family and I stayed in this hotel back in June 2012.

Upon arrival there were no bellman to assist, and the reception were poor - check in was slow and cold (no warm welcome) and no smile (the basic requirement of service industry!)

The room is of standard size and housekeeping were not that great - as you can still find your bedsheet with holes, dust in the wardrobe, bathroom were moldy and amenities were not complete.

The breakfast at the restaurant were of local varieties - with lots of oil and salt, as many of them were salty and very oily (it's really unhealthy stuff).

I hope the management will look into the food issues and improve on the menu as well as service training class for the front office staffs.

The only good thing about this hotel are -
1) they provide shuttle service to shopping centers and
2) the swimming pool is really big with adult and kids playing area (but the water quality wasn't very clean) as well as
3) there is a coach service directly to Singapore (Marina Bay Sands and Resort World Sentosa).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear reviewer,

I am most concerned to note of your encounter and I truly regret the inconvenience and negative impression reflected.
Please accept my profound apologies as clearly what occurred is not acceptable.

Rest assured, I have followed up your feedback with the team highlighting the areas that require immediate improvement particularly, our concierge and front desk service as well as the in room housekeeping standards as to ensure that there will not be a similar reoccurrence on your future visits with us.

Your feedback with regards to the team's performance is noted.
More focus will be given to the team's skills and hospitality training hotel wide.

Thank you for your positive observations on our shuttle service and swimming pool.

Your comment with regards to the food quality during breakfast is noted and will be looked into.

I fully understand the poor perception created, however I do hope you will visit the Thistle Johor Bahru hotel again.

I would be happy to assist with the arrangements personally to ensure an enjoyable stay next time and I would be grateful if you would contact me directly.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Checked in at 1.30 in the morning, it was a swift one. The front desk service was pleasent. Had a good night sleep, excellent bed and pillow. Complete range of toilet amenities although had no chance to experience the bath tub. Had to do early check out, 8am after an average breakfast at the restaurant.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your positive feedback on the efficient and pleasant service from our front desk team members, excellent bed and pillow as well as the bathroom amenities.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Johor Bahru and I would be delighted to facilitate any future reservations.

Please do not hesitate to contact me.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I was stay 3D/2 nights for family trip on beginning of March . The hotel looks nice and grand. But, it's a bit disappointed that the front desk officer is unable to give directions to go legoland and puteri harbour. Secondly, I think the bathroom condition & the room eletrical product such as kettle need to be improved. However, my son is really have fun at the swimming pool.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear reviewer,

Please accept my profound apologies as clearly what occurred is not acceptable.

Rest assured, I have followed up your feedback with the team highlighting the areas that require immediate improvement particularly, our customer service, housekeeping standards and in room maintenance as to ensure that there will not be a similar reoccurrence on your future visits with us.

I am glad to hear that your son enjoyed the swimming pool.

I hope you will visit the Thistle Johor Bahru hotel again, and I would be happy to assist with the arrangements to ensure an enjoyable stay.
Please contact me directly.

Edward and team

Been to Thistle Johor Bahru? Share your experiences!