“Could be better” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thistle Johor Bahru

You added Thistle Johor Bahru to your Saves list
Thistle Johor Bahru
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Sungai Chat, Johor Bahru 80720, Malaysia (Formerly Hyatt Regency)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
SAVE 10% ON ROOM RATES!
Ranked #8 of 78 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Hungary
“Could be better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We currently stay in the hotel. The only bad thing I can mention is the Internet service. The paying cabled one is simply not working - if you charge for it make sure that it does work.
The free wifi in the lobby is also very shabby - these days it is unacceptable. Personnel is a bit bored. The tv channel selection is rather poor.
Breakfast is good, except the coffee, which is rather awful. I think it should be made fresh for every guest if you want to call yourself a 5star hotel.
Pool is great though the opening hours are ridiculous. Most hotels in Europe keep their pool open until 11 p.m. - people coming back from a daytrip or meetings have to rush back since pool closes at 9 and a boy just calls you out of the pool when it is the nicest

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
JBGM, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for choosing Thistle Johor Bahru on your recent visit. Your thoughts are important to us.

I appreciate the time you have afforded to detail your comments and I am very disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectation on this occasion.

Rest assured I have highlighted your comments for immediate rectification and assure you that every effort will be made to ensure that there will not be a similar reoccurrence on your future visits with us.

Whilst not an excuse, I can confirm that I am currently working on a Wi-Fi solution for the whole hotel which will take effect early 2013. I can confirm the system difficulties with the current cabled service has now been rectified and normal service has resumed.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your breakfast.

Your comments with regards to the coffee and pool operation hours are noted and will be looked into.

I hope you will visit the Thistle Johor Bahru hotel again, and I would be happy to assist with the arrangements to ensure an enjoyable stay. Please contact me directly.

Edward and team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Milan, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We spent 2 nights having book 2 connecting Executive rooms for us and the kids.
Convenient to reach, not close to anything but it has a nice view and the building has a good modern look.

Dinner at oasis (close to pool) was ok.

We were very disappointed about cleaness of room (stains on carpet and chairs), the breakfast is terrible with limited selection of food and not fresh croissant and pastries (same at the executive lounge). In our room (not the kids one) many Tv channel we're not visible.
Finally, I cannot accept that an hotel of this level does not provide in-room wifi.

It could be the best hotel in Johore but It is far from being acceptable

• Stayed November 2012
JBGM, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for choosing Thistle Johor Bahru on your recent visit.
Your thoughts are important to us.

Thank you for your positive feedback with regards to the hotel layout, ambiance and the location.

I am delighted you enjoyed your dinner at the Oasis.

Rest assured, I have followed up your feedback with the team highlighting the areas that require immediate improvement. Focus will be given to our housekeeping standards and assure you that every effort will be made to ensure that there will not be a similar reoccurrence on your future visits with us.

Your specific comments about the room cleanliness, breakfast selections and TV channels are noted and will be addressed.

Whilst not an excuse, I can confirm that I am currently working on Wi-Fi for all rooms and public areas.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I stayed at Thistle twice. The first time I came was on 24/06/2012 and 6/10/12. The frontline staff definitely needs to be trained on their guest services as it is obvious they do not understand the meaning of being a frontliner at the hotel reception. No smile, no greeting and they did not even have eye contact. Maybe because I am not blonde and was staying a border away. They were too busy looking down at the computer and they don't bother telling you the reason the delay during check in. Was very disappointed with the entire service and the entire front office staff. Thick make up and good looking personnel does not compliment the service at all.

The room needs upgrading, furniture was in a bad shape. The toilet was not properly cleaned as there was scums every where.

Room service order taker and knock knock call centre was rather abrupt. They rushed through every call. I requested for normal teabags through the call centre but only received jasmine tea after the 3rd attempt. They ALL have a couldn't be bothered attitude and they find guests a nuisance.

The only good thing I can say about this hotel is the food, swimming pool and the gym.

If Thistle Management is reading this, I hope they do something about the staff because their attitude can really deter guest to return.

Linn Salleh

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
JBGM, General Manager at Thistle Johor Bahru, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear reviewer,

I appreciate the time you have afforded to detail your comments and I apologize for the upset caused. Clearly what occurred is not acceptable.

There can be no excuse for what you have experienced. I apologize for the manner in which the Front Desk team facilitated your check in. I can assure you that we are not complacent in our approach to guest service. More focus will be given to the team's skills training particularly on customer service and maintaining the standards in our guest rooms. This will include re training for our Knock Knock team.

Thank you for your positive comments with regards to the food, swimming pool and the gym.

I fully understand the poor perception created, however I do hope you will visit the Thistle Johor Bahru hotel again and I would be happy to assist with the arrangements personally to ensure an enjoyable stay next time. I would be grateful if you would contact me directly.

Kind regards

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay even it was only for a night! The front desk, the concierge, the outlet (lounge, coffee house) staff were very profesional in their way to greet their guest! The hotel cleanliness, my room was quite spacious & the walkway to the room smells good.
Food.....was excellent & varieties! Setting of their buffet line was well setup & most of all i must say thanks to Mr Jai ((Outlet Manager) who was actually greeted me & wife while we were waiting for our room to be ready he was eventually offered us for having some refreshment in the coffee house! Thumbs up to you Mr Jai for being nice to us & made us felt so welcome there! You are a good example not only for your hotel but other hoteliers should be proud of having you threre!
Overall......me & my wife are very pleased to say that Thistle Hotel is the place where we should come again whenever we are in Johor Bahru & i will make sure that we will stay more than a night!
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK & EXCELLENTIES ARE ALL FOR YOU!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
Dear reviewer,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your positive feedback with regards to the front desk, concierge and food & beverage team, hotel cleanliness, spacious bedroom and our food selections.

Your compliments to our Outlet Manager Jai, will definitely be shared with him and the rest of the team members. Your positive feedback will further motivate the team and we will continue to improve the service levels at the property.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Johor Bahru and I would be delighted to facilitate any future reservations.

Please do not hesitate to contact me.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

I had a very great experience with Thistle Hotel (JB)! Thanks to the events and banquet team!!

I just had my wedding party held at Thistle (JB) last Thursday & I had to compliment on the great services provided by the event and banquet team!

They didn't disappoint me with the quality of their food and all the helpful services provided throughout the wedding party.

Although the expected time the party was suppose to end was around 11pm but the team did not discontinue their services till all my guests left.

The guest room was also very clean and tidy to comfortably sleep in!
Room services was fast when we ordered food in the middle of the night.

All friendly staffs from Front desk and team and event & banquet team to f&b team and manager! All ready to help out when in need!!
Great experience!!

• Stayed October 2012
Dear reviewer,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for your positive comments. I will share it with everyone.

Please contact me directly when you are planning your next visit. I will personally oversee arrangements to ensure a pleasant and comfortable stay.

Kind regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Went for a Conference for 4 days at Thistle Hotel. Was quite impressed by the spread they served during meals (Breakfast & Lunch at Fresh! and Dinner at Steps), but being a picky eater, I noticed several repeated dishes that I would not have had again. Food was not bad with meats well cooked. Had utilised the Orchid 3 Ballroom for the Conference which often dripped water from the air conditioner and was often freezing cold. Seemed like a popular hotel with many business activities and sometimes the noise was a bit intolerable. Nonetheless, beds were comfortable and rooms were spacious. Requested for an additional towel as they only provided one for a double room which was odd but they were prompt to respond to request. No free wifi available but if youre a Singaporean traveller, one should be able to receive Singapore network from certain spots in the hotel (which thus makes it ideal for holding Conferences).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear reviewer,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your positive feedback with regards to the buffet spread during breakfast, lunch and dinner, the comfortable bed, spacious room and our attentive team members. Your positive feedback will further motivate the team and I to continue to improve the service levels at the property.

Your comments with regards to the repeated dishes and dripping water from the conference room are noted.

Please do not hesitate to contact me.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I went to thistle.com/johorbahru site and booked an executive room which would mean executive club facilities and free internet access. Upon check-in I showed my email confirmation to the staff but was given a deluxe room without my knowledge. When we wanted to go up to the Club floor, the card acess for the lift was not valid so I checked it at the front desk. I only found out then my booking was not an executive room despite having an email on my mobile to prove it. The duty manager informed me that the error was because I had used a 3rd party website for the booking. When I clarified that I had gone to the thistle site, he said that was a 3rd party site! When I went up to the Club lounge I had to explain to the staff about the problem with my booking. When I called up for free internet access I had to explain to another staff. Very frustrating. After seeing the duty manager about my frustration, he asked me what I wanted to do about it. I want to be on the executive floor not on the 7th floor and not have to explain myself to all the staff!
Very frustrating. Every time I've stayed at Thistle JB, the booking is a mess. I only come 1x a year now. Next year, I doubt I will be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

Clearly what occurred is not acceptable.

Edward and team

Been to Thistle Johor Bahru? Share your experiences!