“A normal hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Silka Johor Bahru

You added Silka Johor Bahru to your Saves list
Silka Johor Bahru
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Masai Lama | Mukim Plentong, Johor Bahru 81750, Malaysia (Formerly Dorsett Johor Hotel)   |
Ranked #31 of 82 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Kuala Lumpur
“A normal hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed here due to no room in the other hotel. Front desk staff not really friendly, the bellmen even friendy than them. Small room and the bed location make me feel uncomfortable. Towel was not ready up check in and have to request for it on the next day. The food terrible and very limited selection.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
DorsettIntl, Director of MarCom, Dorsett Hospitality International at Silka Johor Bahru, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Marquess W,

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback and please accept my apologies for the shortcomings.

As a value-led hotel, we are constantly striving to improve our service standards and we appreciate your feedback. With regards to the size of our rooms, we do have different room categories of varying szies to cater to the varied expectations of our guests.

Rest assured, I will personally address the shortcomings as highlighted with the departments concerned and sincerely look forward to another opportunity for us to provide our level of service to you in the near future.

With best regards
Christina Toh
Area General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Selangor
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I have been a regular guest since it was Dorsett. All the while I have nothing much to complain to warrant an official review. I was at the hotel from Sunday 19/5/13 until 21/5/13. On Monday 20/5/13 I ordered a room service (Silka Signature Beef Burger) and it arrived at about 7pm and it was nice until 2am when I started to have stomach ache and nausea. In short I purged not less than 4 times from 2am-6am and vomited once. When I checked out I told this misadventure of mine to the receptionist. Guess what was the answer "REALLY?" not even apologetic nor sympathetic. I even had to ask where do I convey this misadventure, only then they made an effort to look for the complaint form. The form was not made readily available and it took them some time to get it. I just could not understand that there was no automatic response to my complaint even when I asked who was the Chef. After filling it up I was told the "MANAGER" will get in touch with me. There was no 'SORRY' from any of the staffs as if nothing happened. I waited the whole day yesterday until TODAY, no one call me to give an explanation. I wonder whether the form really get to the Manager or the Manager simply do not even care. Until today I still purged and I have lost count of how many times. What really disappoint me is that none of the staffs felt it was a serious case to be taken up and I am not complaining about service or cleanliness. This is a about food hygiene and the misadventure could be fatal. I guess someone must have died first before it is taken up as a serious issue by the management. I wonder whether it ever cross the relevant person's mind that this could be a litigation matter? The incident had caused me not able to deliver my work yesterday, had to go to clinic twice and many other inconveniences in particular I live in KL. After this I would tell my friends to think twice before deciding to stay there. I am expecting the Silka Management to CONTACT ME ASAP AND INVESTIGATE WHAT REALLY HAPPENED! It happened to me and could happen to some other guest too. I'm writing this because at the front door of the hotel there's a signage of Tripadvisor.

Room Tip: Should anyone decide to stay here, make sure you ask for a room that has a window if not you will fe...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
DorsettIntl, Director of MarCom at Silka Johor Bahru, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Noriha

Thank you so much for your continuous support and indeed, it distresses us to note that you have had challenges during your most recent stay with us.

However, I am to understand that the issues as mentioned have been resolved with our Front Office Manager on 23 May and if I or any of my team member can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Loyal guests such as yourself are of paramount importance to us and your feedback is of equal importance as this enable us to continually strive for service enhancement.

Rest assured, we will do out utmost best to ensure that there will be no similar re-occurence of such nature and hope that you will continue to support us; and to accord us the opportunity to prove our services to you on your next trip to Johor.

With best regards
Christina Toh
Area General Manager
Johor, Johor, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

i will make this review easy to understand based on my honest opinion

The Good:
1. Nice Decoration
2. Very comfort bed
3. Free Wifi
4. Welcoming drink
5. Good location for business trip in pasir gudang. beside tesco and giant

The Bad:
1. Parking. need to climb the stairs to level 3 or 4 and it not connected to the hotel. Can get wet during raining season
2. Fridge plug not compatible with switch. request for adapter but take more than 1 hours for action after follow up.
3. not suitable for family trip to JB town/singapore.more than 15km to CIQ but the traffic make it a long journey (peak hour)
4. no facility for baby (e.g: baby cot)
5. Feel like a apartment
6. Swimming pool by the apartment next door

Overal: The staff very friendly especially in the checker cafe however the facility is terrible. I think it can be value for money if the hotel lower the price by 10%-25%. For now i would say it overprice hotel. The hotel now in the process of renovate the room so expect improvement by year end in term of room quality. the location near pasir gudang make it ideal place for business trip.

Room Tip: the standard room did not have any window.because this is a apartment, not all deluxe room size the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Ramanesh N, General Manager at Silka Johor Bahru, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear LatiffDanial,

Greetings from Silka Johor Bahru.

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

We have duly noted your comments and your suggestions of improvement have been highlighted to the hotel’s management.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Gaborone, Botswana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Rooms are a bit small for couples, bathrooms are definitely for singles only.
Breakfast is generally NOT included in price.
Kapitan Corner restaurant ajoint is no good and overpriced for what they serve.
Maybe a suitable place for light travellers and backpackers !

Room Tip: Suria JB Hotel offers better deals overall !
Dear roha288,

Greetings from Silka Johor Bahru.

Thank you for staying at our hotel and communicating your feedback to us.

As a value-led hotel, we are constantly striving to improve our service standards. We have different room categories namely, Standard, Deluxe and Business Suite. A minimal upgrade charges is applicable for guests who wish to upgrade their room experience.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope that our shortcomings will not place us in your permanent disfavour and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel whenever your travel brings you back to Johor Bahru.

Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I booked 3 nights in a deluxe room at the Silka for my son (11) and I. We were visiting JB to go to Legoland and Universal Studios. We trusted the Silka website which promotes both and advises it's only 20 mins from the city/Singapore border and 35 mins from Legoland.
On arrival, I was surprised to find how isolated the hotel is. It's closer to 40 mins from JB city on a good day.

We were assigned a room on the main road. Apart from being very noisy even in the afternoon, the room was minute with barely enough room to walk around the bed and nothing in the room seemed to work. The phone didn't have a cable to plug it in, the kettle didn't work, fridge plug broken, safe not working, toilet leaking and door lock not working. I went downstairs to report these problems and seek assistance and was told someone would come and fix them and by the time I returned to my room, the access card had deactivated. A replacement phone arrived, fridge plug 'made' to fit, someone arrived to fix the safe but the battery on his equipment was flat so said he would return in an hour.

The room was very basic budget, not the self rated 4 stars, and in great need of some TLC. The pool and other facilities are not even on the same premises, but located at the adjacent apartment block and shared with the residents. Don't be fooled by the information or photos on the website as nothing we saw even vaguely resembled what was promoted. And on Wotif, "Deluxe rooms are lavishly deigned with added space..." translated to very old, tired, grubby and smaller than most hotel rooms I've stayed in over several visits to Malaysia.

Whilst waiting for the room facilities to be attended to, I tried to find out from staff about Legoland and Universal Studios, neither of which they were able to help with at all apart from advising Tune Hotels offer a package and both are quite a long distance away. There was simply nowhere to go from there without spending more than the cost of the room getting taxis (which were only available by phoning and booking). The staff weren’t rude but didn’t seem able to provide information about anything and just responded with a vague look to any enquiries.

With nowhere to go and a very upset 11 year old, I decided to cut my losses and move to a hotel at a better location. The taxi to the city cost me RM75 and took over half an hour to pick us up due to the distance. A return trip each day would almost make up the price of the room.
I advised the hotel I would be leaving without even having unpacked or done anything except try to get information and facilities attended to. I told them I was disappointed with the location and as the reason for our visit to JB was to go to Universal Studios and Legoland, I had decided to move to a location which was more convenient. I was polite, thanked them and asked them to call me a taxi.

While we were sitting waiting for the taxi, the staff member who seemed most senior was insisting I change my mind, insisting they were offering every service and starting to be quite pushy about us staying and really pestering me. That started annoying me as had I been in his position, I would have been very embarrassed about my experience and thought it best left alone while I was being polite about it - and that it would have been patently obvious that I was just being polite and location wasn't the only reason I was leaving.

Might be a convenient place to stay if visiting or working nearby but certainly not an option for tourists.

We moved to the Grand Bluewave and for very little more, the room was very large, well located, great on site facilities, well informed staff, view over the straits, short walk to town and well coordinated and easy access to tourist destinations.
Lesson for me - read the reviews first!

Room Tip: Read the reviews first and know that it's a long distance from city or tourist attractions.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Ramanesh N, General Manager at Silka Johor Bahru, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear colleenhamish,

Greetings from Silka Johor Bahru.

First and foremost, it is with regret that we note the inconveniences that you had encountered during your recent stay at our hotel.

Our associates are duly trained to brief our guests about the Legoland Malaysia and Universal Studios Singapore packages and transportation services are available upon request at reasonable price, and flyers are displayed at the Reception Desk, regrettably that was not your case.

As a value-led hotel, we have different room categories namely, Standard, Deluxe and Business Suite. A minimal upgrade charges is applicable for guests who wish to upgrade their experience. In addition, we are in the midst of refurbishment to serve our guests better in the future and training has been conducted to improve the service standard rendered to our valued guests.

Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Recently we stayed at Silka JB. The 1st impression is out, poor service at Front Desk. Nobody bother to answer the call. We reported to Front Desk Manager he could not bother to handle our complaint. We wonder does he ready to meet clients and assist in any way. Its seems like not confidence at all. The room is totally out better rate for brothel else where. The shocking part is nobody seems to care about clients complaints. Not worth it, better look in website but reality is out.Poor Management System!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Ramanesh N, General Manager at Silka Johor Bahru, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear volankaran,

Greetings from Silka Johor Bahru.

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write your feedback on your recent stay.

First and foremost, we are disheartened to learn that you had an unpleasant experience during your recent stay at our hotel and we would like to apologise for not meeting your expectations.

We are constantly striving to provide hospitality excellence to our valued guest such as yourself. We have taken note of your comments in regards to Front Office service and necessary training has been conducted and issues have been rectified by the management.

We hope our shortcomings will not place us in your permanent disfavour and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

It was my first stay at the place after it became Silka. I stayed here twice back in 2009 when it was still the Dorsett; the first time for two nights, the second time was for two weeks. Why I returned to this place when I could have gone elsewhere? Firstly, it is because of its location and relative proximity to the Johor Port in Pasir Gudang where I normally have business at, and secondly, for it being in a quiet location.

The Silka is as how I remembered the Dorsett was, only better. Although the room layout is very much the same, the reading lights are no longer the dim LED lights. And somehow the unit I get always faces the TESCO. It may not be much of a view, but sometimes you need that kind of view to take you away from the hustle and bustle of a modern city. I know that view isn't going to last long, but there hasn't been much of a change in the four years that I have not returned either. The powerful rain shower makes up for the small size of the bathroom. I always look forward to that powerful hot shower in the morning, and cool ones in the evening. The towels are a bit worn, though, I hope the Management would look into that. There is an electronic safe, water boiler, and the wifi is free. The reception I got was better than during my stays in 2009. Then again, that was the Dorsett. There is TV with ample channels if staying indoors and watching TV is your thing.

Check-in was a breeze, welcome drink available. I read some of the previous reviews which weren't so favourable about the checking-in process, but I believe it was during that super-peak school holidays season. I was there, and saw the chaos. But I must say the front desk staff did a good job holding the fort and keeping themselves calm.

There is a pool, but I've never made use of it. Maybe next time, if I ever get the time to do so.

Parking: it is a multi-storey common car park shared with the residences of the apartments (the Silka was built as an apartment) and you need to park at designated spaces on Levels 2 and 3. Do drop your heavy luggage at the hotel entrance first before you proceed to park your vehicle. No valet here.

There is a lounge with a pool table which I have yet to visit. There is a live band playing there as well. And I always enjoy the coffee house for meals, and especially for breakfast.

Things to do: as mentioned, there is a TESCO nearby, and a GIANT hypermarket a short drive away. Kempas Jaya, which is some 15 minutes away has an AEON JUSCO mall. Just off there, five minutes away, is the village of Senibong where you can enjoy seafood while watching commercial vessel traffic plying the Singapore Strait. Then again, if food is your motivation, then Johor Bahru is the place for it.

So, would I return to the Silka? After my recent four-night stay, a definite YES.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Ramanesh N, General Manager at Silka Johor Bahru, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear John S,

Greetings from Silka Johor Bahru.

Thank you for your continuous support and constructive feedback.

We are very delighted to learn that you had a pleasant experience throughout your stay with us. Your thoughtful words certainly made our day when our sincere services are appreciated by cherished guests such as yourself. The management has taken note of the comments highlighted and immediate measures have been taken for rectification.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having you back for another memorable hotel experience whenever your travel brings you back to Johor Bahru.

Regards,

Been to Silka Johor Bahru? Share your experiences!