“Very nice French restaurant comparable to even restaurants in France!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chez Papa French Bistro and Wine Bar

Chez Papa French Bistro and Wine Bar
38 and 40 Jalan Jaya | Taman Maju Jaya, Johor Bahru 80400, Malaysia
607-333-4988
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 473 Restaurants in Johor Bahru
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Description: Established in 1999. Traditional French Regional Cuisine. Cheerful and comfortable Bistro decor. Adjoining Wine Bar with cozy ambience. Extensive wine list, large selection of cocktails and International beers by the bottle.
“Very nice French restaurant comparable to even restaurants in France!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012 via mobile

I recently went to Paris on a company trip and dined in a couple of restaurants there both up market and casual bistros. Having done that and comparing the food quality and prices at Chez Papa, I might as well just eat French Food here. The steaks at Chez Papa are always good. I like mine crispy on the outside and juicy inside. My favourite pepper sauce is really to my liking. I also enjoy their version of the onion soup. Their escargots to me taste better (and cheaper) than what I had in France. I've been to Chez Papa many times over the years and am happy they are still around as the food is very consistent. Have to mention their stews as well. It's not on the menu but often on the daily specials. I recommend both the duck and lamb stew. Generous portions and very homely. Would also like to add that the wait staff are always smiling and helpful. My favourite waitress has been working there for a long time and knows my likes and dislikes. The owners are friendly as well.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
“Great french cuisine in JB”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

I decided to write a review about this little gem on Jalan tebrau.
It s my fith times at least to chez papa and i never been diappointed with the food, service, ambiance and a decoration really like those bistrot in france. The staff is very friendly and the french chef always welcome us with a smile and recommended us his specials which i m always delighted to try.
We loved the escargot with the garlic butter and parsley, the onion soup is so yummy with the cheese toast. as for the mains, we had the breaded lamb rack that was tender and fresh and the pan seared duck brust with a green pepper sauce really to make you fall on your knees!! always nice garnishing to contribute to the dish.
Oh Chez papa has a great wine list and liquors. I actually like their house pour that is pretty decent.
We come from singapore and whenever we are going to malaysia we ll try to make a Stop to chez papa for dinner.
Keep it up

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Singapore, Singapore
“Great food that kinda reminded me of France”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

It's a fraction of what you pay in France, cheaper than any French restaurant in SG. The pasta i had was linguine with hickory fish, taste is only ok, but texture is too soggy, like chinese fried nooles. The cordon bleu was great, but would prefer it with mash potato instead of fries. Starters like the mushroom soup taste wonderful, so are the mussels.
Heard they have special menu that changes a week or two. Too bad they do not have risotto and duck confit. I won't know what to order next time cos the original menu is so limited.
Staffs speaks good english

Visited January 2012
Johor Bahru Malaysia
“A restaurant I used to go, but now switched to a better one.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

I stopped going to this restaurant after Grill Bar's open, but I do missed Chez papa's escargo, nothing else. One night, we did asked their boss to recommend, but he totally ignored you, don't even answer you. We went here few times, and we don't find it very nice, compare to Anna's kitchen, I give Anna's Kitchen 9 score, Grill bar 7, Chez papa 5.

One night, I saw the boss from Chez papa having dinner at Grill Bar with his wife, and keep on finding problems and complaining about their food and service loudly, other customers were very enjoyed, and the owner of Grillbar don't know he actually the boss from Chez papa, we have zero complain at that night, but the way he did at that night, really make me disappointed.

• Visited February 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Better than many French Restaurants in KL”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

Last night, I stopped by for dinner with my friends before heading back to KL.
We found out about the place here on "TripAdvisor".
The place is nice, the price is very reasonable and quality is quite good.
About those complaining for parking, I did not think it was a problem. You can park at the Plaza Pelangi, which is just a one block away.
The staff was very friendly and very much willing to accommodate any of our requests.
The onion soup was way better than any I have ever had in KL.
The stewed duck was very good (maybe just a pinch of salt and pepper would make it 10).
The smoked cold cuts were very good.
We also orders some seafood platter "gratin". Although the taste was good, it was a bit to watery. We expected something with bread crumbs and baked in the oven or with a lot of cream.
The escargot were pretty good. At least, contrary to many places in KL, you could not tell it was defrosted or cooked in the microwave.

• Visited January 2012