I know this location well as I live in Beirut and I come to ski most weekends. I have also stayed in the hotel over summer, which I must say was also rather disappointing. I however had some family flying into Lebanon for a week and thought they might enjoy getting out of the hustle and bustle of Beirut and experiencing a little of the mountain air and skiing. We accordingly booked two slope facing roooms on a Sunday and a Monday night in February. The following was our experience:
(1) Check-in: We arrived on a Sunday afternoon, as everyone was leaving from their weekends and morning skiing. We expected it to be a little crazy, but it seems the counter staff were harassed and understaffed. It took us well over an hour to check in, which we didn't really mind as we simply enjoyed a drink in the bar. However, I would not expect this kind of service from an Intercontinental 5 star hotel;
(2) Rooms: These were actually lovely. Comfortable beds, great view of the mountain and nice balconies. The temperature however appeared to be a little too high, such that it was necessary to sleep with the balcony door open. Another issue, which did not bother me too much as I am a heavy sleeper, but the buffet breakfast area is in an open space below the rooms. The noise woke up my family members on both nights.
(3) Food: Other than breakfast (which was very good), the food was TERRIBLE. Outside of the weekends at Mzaar, there are no other restuarants at which to eat. As such, you are forced to eat at the hotel. First night we ate in the lobby, and ordered soup as well a main course pasta. They brought both dishes together, and the waiter expressed surprise when we asked that the pasta only be brought once the starters were finished. The waiter furthermore appeared a little annoyed at this, and when we did eventually request our main course it was luke warm and reminicent more of a pasta that one would serve for a school lunch than at a top, expensive, hotel;
(4) Service: Apart from the slightly rude waiter mentioned above, the staff at the hotel are generally nice although not particularly efficient. The ski rental people were very accomodating, and having at least two or three ski places within the hotel is really convenient;
(5) Skiing: It is great to be able to ski directly from the hotel, and like all ski places it really depends on the weather.
(6) Other hotel activities: The spa was pleasant, and as we were unlucky enough to have bad weather we had to use the pool and games room (bowling!) more than we would have expected. This actually was not bad, and rather fun, if not slightly expensive.
(7) Other notable points: The car valet people seem to be EXTREMELY disorganised. In fact on our arrival the traffic jam outside the hotel was entirely caused by their poor 'system' in place for parking the cars. Really this could be simply solved by making keeping a lane open for cars to travel on and an area for people to put on / take off their gear.
On a whole, my two days at the hotel - including food - cost approximately US$800. I definitely did not receive US$800 of value.
The slope facing rooms, in winter, are wonderful.
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I am sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret you were not satisfied with the check in, the temparature of the room and the food served in the lobby. We have taken note of your valuable comments regarding the service staff in the lobby and the valet parking and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of product and services we offer to our guests.
Thank you again for your feedback. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.
InterContinental Mzaar Lebanon Mountain Resort & Spa
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.