“Recommended” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Samburu National Reserve, Kenya   |
Reading, United Kingdom
“Recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed here one night as part of a 14 night tour of Kenya. It may not be as exclusive as some but then it is not pricey and seems to absorb the larger number of guests comfortably. The room was huge, clean and comfortable, The swimming pool is also clean and well maintained. The staff were incredibly friendly and couldn't do enough for you. They were always willing & keem to hear everyone's excited tales of what they had seen on safari that day even though they must have heard it all many times before! The only criticism I have is the food could have been a little better and the beer was the most expensive we came across but then I suppose we were in the middle of nowhere. I have read criticisms of the location of this lodge. Certainly it would be more scenic by the river and perhaps there would be more to see but they have a waterhole which had its fair share of visitors.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same but some will be quite a long walk from the public areas.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

This was the first out of 4 lodges we stayed at during our Kenyan safari. We have never been on safari before and we unsure what to expect but were totally blown away by this place. Our room was HUGE with a sort of open ceiling that are covered in mesh so it gives u a feeling of being outdoors whilst offering the protection against Mosquitos and other bugs. Food was amazing, I am a fussy vegetarian and had no problem. Good variety and excellent service. Wifi bit slow but ok for 200ksh for the length of your stay. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed July 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I was at Samburu Sopa Lodge for 4 nights a few weeks ago and cannot recommend it highly enough! Fred the Manager there is attentative as are all the staff there. From the moment I arrived, all the staff knew my name and the man on the security gate is quite simply the happiest, proudest man I have met in Kenya to date. The food is some of the very best I have had at any lodge in 4 years of travelling to Kenya. Everyday the staff made me feel special and I miss them all already. Peter the Barman, Nicholas the Pool attendant and all the others.

There are some myths associated to coming to Kenya in the 'Long Rains' - no wildlife, raining all the time etc... This is simply not true! Indeed it does rain....but it is nomally for a few hours and then it clears....mostly it is at night. The weather was hot and the rains do not spoil the Safaris as far as I am concerned. As for the wildlife not being there...this again is not true....where do they go? They do not take a flight to another country. They are there all year round and i took thousands of photos to qualify this.
Please go and visit this amazing lodge and region and put your fears aside. After all this is probably the best place to see the eluusive Leopard!
To all the staff at the lodge - Thank you my friends...I cannot wait to return.
Cheers!
G

Room Tip: I had room number 3 if my memory serves me well. It is near the main Lodge and has wonderful views o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in early April which was low season by then. Only 11 guests were there so the staff ratio to guest was high. The staff were attentive and friendly. We enjoyed the pool very much one hot midday. Still, the pool needs some attention as the tiles are stained. They do clean it, just needs some refreshing. The same is true about the furniture in the huts. Both beds squeaked and resonated a strange hum. Someone needs new beds. However, the place is immaculately clean. Same is true for the dining room, super clean. The food was okay but not inspired although I loved the crepes for breakfast. The meat was tough at dinner and lunch and you could tell they had recycled the meat from dinner the night before in a new guise... or disguise. Vegetables were tasty and fresh. Soups were from a mix and the consomme was again recycled from dinner to lunch... just some different name and seasoning added. I'm not saying to waste food, but maybe having less food to match the number of guests and then making fresh is an idea?
The manager stopped by to make sure we were happy which overall we were. It was a pretty place but not up to the usual Sopa standards. We stayed at the Serengeti, Ngorongoro and Amboseli Sopas before this one, so there is a basis for comparison.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter they are all the same.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Unfortunately, we only stayed one night in this lodge as our flight to Nairobi was cancelled, and we had to miss a day of safari. The lodge was situated in the reserve and had the African feel to it. Love the thatch roof. The room & bathroom was clean and we had a nice little veranda, where we sat and watched the Dik Dik's grazing in the morning.

The staff were friendly, and the food was good. Not much variety, but it was adequate. We had a lovely stay. Special mention to Caesar, who waited on us. Very friendly and attentive young man.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We stayed here two nights during our seven day Kenyan Safari. The dining room has an amazing feel, both view and design. Loved the expansive thatched roof. The thatched roof continued into all the guest rooms. Our room was spacious and comfortable, although the lack of nets was a negative-- I was kept up all night with buzzing in my ear and woke up to two huge welts on my face. So, to avoid this, bring a net and have the staff set it up. Other than that, the "backyard" view from our room was spectacular. The pool is also really pretty against the Samburu landscape.

The staff is friendly and not awkward! The only big negative would be the food. I was pretty surprised, since the feel of the hotel was semi luxury. We truly thought it was terrible. I assume a lot of food is frozen, but this tasted like it. The sauces tasted like they were pre-packaged with tons of preservatives. I wanted to starve. Breakfast was the saving Grace. Oh yeah, there was one t-bone steak dinner that I felt was average and not completely inedible.

Room Tip: My room was not facing any other rooms or structures and provided an unobstructed view of the landsc...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

we just returned from a 8 day safari in kenia and stayed in 5 different hotels and parks. we found the stay in Samburu Sopa Lodge the most enjoyable in terms of having constantly the feel of being in the bush while dining in the open, or sitting on the little terrace after our lodge watching the dikdik passing by, spotting the most beautifull hornbills and other special birds while walking to the reception, and this all combined with the luxury of a good shower, comfy beds and clean crips sheets. we liked also the staff the best, they were friendly without being eager on having us drinking bottles of wine instead of glasses, and without chasing for the luggage to get tips as in almost all the other -expensive- lodges. also the park was great, we spotted all sorts of antilopes, the little dikdik being our favourite, the mighty lions, elegant giraffes, elephants, all kind of beautifull birds and even a leopard.

Room Tip: any room is in the open wild with a terrace from where you can have a nice view and if lucky see som...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Samburu Sopa Lodge? Share your experiences!