“Honeymoon bliss” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Archers Post, Samburu National Reserve 74888, Kenya   |
Belfast
“Honeymoon bliss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Without a doubt some of the best service we have ever experienced. The staff are so friendly and dedicated to ensuring your stay is memorable, without being intrusive.
The personal touches in the tents such as chocolates and wine, as well as the delicious four course meals add to this wonderful experience.
The game drives are amazing and our driver made every effort to find all the animals we wanted to see, and we left having seen all of the special 5 of samburu!
The tutorials on the samburu tribes and animals of the reserve added to the evenings.
We also got to experience the surprise of having a monkey in our tent! Entirely our own fault and easily resolved, but adds to the wonder that is this reserve.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Indeed. We are so glad you enjoyed.
The Samburu Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed at Samburu Intrepids mid June of this year. The camp was great and the service and food wonderful. We would get a packed breakfast to eat on the "road" each day and after the first day we wanted different food. The next day they gave us what we asked for except the extra protein we requested. That night we had a sincere apology from management and they gave us complimentary compensation which was unexpected and appreciated. The tents were in great shape and we did not see one mosquito. They did not leave hair conditioners so if you usually use this you should bring your own. They do not wash underware due to cultural beliefs so soap or shampoo were the replacement for this. The 7pm lectures with Tilas were wonderful and quite informative.
The wildlife was awesome and a great variety. The elephants were plenty and very close to the vehicle so I would recommend a lens 55-105 or so for you photographers. I used (3) 32 GIG Cards and (4) 16 gig cards on this trip but it was a 10 day safari.
The roads are bumpy so if there are any back issues I would bring an air disc to sit on to cushion the blow.

Room Tip: Rooms all pretty equal, #26 farthest away but quiet...also seemed hotter than other rooms as airflow...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Guest,
We are glad you were served to your expectations. Thank you so much for finding time to share your comments.
Brighouse, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I visited here for 3 nights at the end of May/beginning of June. I was met at the airstrip by Sebastian, who was to be my guide/driver for the next 3 days. I was the only passenger and the drive to the camp turned out to be one of the best game drives I have experienced. Within minutes of entering the Reserve the wildlife came thick and fast - the birdlife was prolific as was the big game. We came upon a huge bull elephant, quickly followed by another and witnessed the two of them having a dominance fight. Around the next bend we encountered a herd of 2 to 3 hundred elephants crossing the river. A sighting such as this is rare and it was a real privilege to witness it.
Upon arriving at the camp ( very late for lunch because of the great drive there ! ) I was greeted with a welcome cold fruit juice . I was then treated like a VIP for the rest of my stay. I have a disability that affects my mobility and limbs, but I need not have worried as all of the staff members ensured that I was taken care of with exceptional courtesy and kindness. Nothing was too much trouble . Kenneth, a delightfully pleasant young man, was my waiter at my first meals and he made sure that I was comfortable and carried my food choices from the buffet to my table for me.
The game drives with Sebastian at the helm were among the best I have ever experienced in all of my numerous visits to Africa ( though this was my first trip as a disabled person). He was tireless in his determination to find the game, and ensured that we saw virtually everything that we wanted. The highlight for me was seeing the African Wild Dogs which, sadly, are now extremely rare. Our little gang in the vehicle could not fault Sebastian on anything. His knowledge of, and commitment to, the wildlife was second to none. The list of everything we saw under his expert guidance is a very long one.
Back at the camp in between game drives the hospitality and friendliness of all members of staff ensured that my visit was a delightful experience. Cleophas, a charming young man, was "assigned" to me and looked after me royally, not only at mealtimes but throughout my stay. He carried my camera, binoculars etc. for me, helped me to and from my tent and even, on one occasion, prevented me from falling when I was particularly wobbly one day.
Stella, the manager, was always pleasant and charming and took time to talk with me every day. Her smile, like that of all of the staff, lit up the camp. Martin, the barman, served a great Tusker beer for me in the evenings and chatted to me about the day's game viewing . He too helped me get about the camp .
After dinner I was always escorted back to my tent by Dario . He was around during the day and always kept a watchful eye on me and stepped in if I needed help. Joy, who was a waitress and worked in the shop, brought a meal to my tent one night when I was unwell and made sure that I was comfortable.
The facilities were fantastic . The tents, all overlooking the river, were luxurious and extremely comfortable. I had a twin tent to myself and could not fault the cleanliness and attention to detail .
The food was delicious and plentiful . I am a picky eater but there was always something that I could eat, and it was presented beautifully.
All in all I think that this is THE best place to stay if you are contemplating taking a trip to Samburu. The setting is superb, the staff fantastic and the game viewing truly outstanding. Do not delay, book it today !!

Room Tip: As far I as I could see all of the tents have great views of the river.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
We thank you for this wonderful testimony. We are so glad you had a nice time and you felt well served.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed at Samburu Intrepids on our recent visit to Kenya. The camp is lovely and suitable for any age visitors. We were impressed with the quality of the food and the service from the restaurant staff. The tents are well appointed with shampoo, conditioners and soaps provided. Room stewards place hot water bottles in your beds whilst you eat dinner and so when you get back to bed it's lovely and warm.
The wildlife in Samburu National Park is superb. We saw all of the big cats, wild dogs and the plains game. Our driver was good at locating the game.
Although the camp is on a river, there is no game at the river during June. Local people bring their cattle to drink on the river and baboons can often be seen on the riverbank.
The same baboons are around the camp at night so don't leave your tent open at any time.
Wifi is supposedly available in the main areas of the camp, but we had trouble connecting and the staff said that it doesn't work from time to time. My suggestion is to forget it and enjoy the break from communications.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
BeutifulKenya64, COO at Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Hello Guest,
Thank you for this awesome review. We shall fix the Wifi. It is a requirement in this dispensation. Just watch this page.
Lichfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed here on 11/12 June as part of a flying safari, amazing!!! Sebastian, our guide knew everything and such a nice man. Worked very hard to find the animals we wanted to see and he cared about the environment, even to the extent that he spotted some safari ants crossing the track in front of us so he stopped until they had all crossed as he didn't want to harm any of them. Tents were amazing, this is my idea of roughing it. All the staff were helpful & friendly, food was great, location is superb. Only problem we had was on our first night the monkeys were fighting all night and kept us awake, but it's all part of the experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. it is appreciated. I am sorry about Monkies. Unfortunately they have the right of way and so we could not stop them fighting. So glad you visited.
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

This is one of the best places I've ever visited in Kenya!
The service was magnificent! The staff so very helpful, very friendly and always exceeded our expectations.
The welcome was so warm it felt like home.
The food was awesome! Always had Chef Otaro come around to check if we enjoyed our meals........ Then he made us a surprise meal of the his special Githeri!
Our breakfast was always on point, delicious, fresh and healthy.

The drive to the park was unpredictable (in a very good way) everyday as we always learnt something new about the animals...... Not forgetting the very knowledgeable guide that accompanied us.

Everyone ensured that we enjoyed our time!
Looking forward to visit again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Hello Guest,
So great that we contributed to your wonderful experiences. We look forward to having you visit with us again.
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

This is the most awesome place we have encountered, it was so special that i cried when it was time to leave! Set among the trees along side the river. The food was some of the best we have eaten. A lone samburu warrior plays the pan pipe and we awoke in the morning to the distance singing of the tribe.
The Manager and his team knew how to make us feel special. This is a first class lodge and can highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
We are so glad that it worked for you. Thank you so much for making it Samburu.
Regards,
The Samburu Team

Been to Samburu Intrepids Luxury Tented Camp? Share your experiences!