We didn't originally book this hotel. Three times after the Foreign Office warnings about Mombassa (where we were supposed to go) we reject this place as a viable option as an alternative. When we finally had to accept it, and based on what we really wanted and had booked, we did so with some trepiadtion. One of the conditions that were insisted on, on 3 seperate emails, was that we were given a double bed. to quote "under no circumstances will we accept 2 singles pushed together".
When we arrived at Malindi Airport, we came out to find a man holding our name on a card. He informed us that he was holding it for the taxi driver, who had gone to the toilet. When our driver emerged, it was clear that he is not very good at shaking the right bits, as his khaki trousers had a few large and very noticable wet patches in an embarrasing area!
We got to the hotel to check in, and were given wristbands and towel cards (exactly the sort of thing we wanted to avoid). We were then shown to our room, which in my opinion was the worst in the hotel (see room tips). Worst of all, it had 2 single beds, which they would "put together for us later". Naturally, we rejected this room, and asked for another. To be fair, they happily obliged, but given that the place was less than half full, and clearly double bedded rooms were available, I feel that we should have been given one of these as a matter of course.
However, after a poor start, things got much better!! The staff (especially the restaurant and bar) were really friendly and helpful. The food was of great quality, and variation. Breakfast is a buffet, whilst lunch and dinner are buffet salad and dessert, chose from a menu for the soup, pasta and main courses. Drinks (especially cocktails) were really good as well.
All of the accomodation are suites, mainly junior, but a few larger. They are all well furnished and spotlessly clean. (Again, see room tips for more). The pool and beach areas were well maintained and very clean, but at full capacity there may be a fight for beds!
Not that we were interested anyway, but the website advertises activities all day and evening at "nearby Sandies Tropical Paradise" This was closed for off season, but I feel that this should be made clearer to people booking who wanted the activities for themselves or children.
It should also be pointed out that Sandies is literally 5 yards away. Diamonds Dream is adverstised as a relaxing luxury hotel, and sandies as a much more lively place. I fail to see how, when it's open, the things going on at sandies would not take away form the relaxing atmosphere of Diamonds dream.
All in all, things worked out OK, nice and relaxing after a busy safari, but I would only book this place after careful consideration of what you actually want form your break.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to a resort where the enchanting power of nature blends in with the exotic style of the Indo-Arab buildings to offer you a mesmerizing charm, which in Swahili, is called "bembeleza". Sit in the Balinese chaise lounges on your room terrace and listen to the sound of the wind rustling the palm trees, enjoy the music of the waves and let your heart dance in silence: your Dream of total relaxation has finally come true. Chose to dine on the open air terrace or inside the air conditioned restaurant, overlooking the swimming pool or at the a la carte restaurant serving a selection of seafood menus on the beach. Endowed with a centre of Thalassotherapy, a beauty centre and a gym with spectacular view on the ocean, the Dream Spa is the ideal place for the restoration and the maintenance of global prosperity ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Despegar.com, Orbitz, Odigeo, Fastbooking and Jetsetter so you can book your Diamonds Dream of Africa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Diamonds Dream Of Africa Hotel Malindi
- Dream Of Africa Malindi
- Dream Of Africa Hotel
- Diamonds Dream Of Africa Malindi, Kenya