“Dream-like.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Diamonds Dream of Africa

Save Saved
You added Diamonds Dream of Africa to your Saves list
Diamonds Dream of Africa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Casuarina Road | P.O. Box 68, Malindi, Kenya   |
Ranked #6 of 25 hotels in Malindi
Newcastle
“Dream-like.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We - my girlfriend and I - extensively consulted traveller reviews before booking a fornight at Dream of Africa (DoA). We came to the conclusion that the very occasional very bad reviews were the exceptions that likely proved the rule, and are happy to report that this was indeed the case. Some of the reviews here are very hard to comprehend, so unlike any aspect of our experiences are they. DoA is characterised by outstanding staff, food, and facilities, and when the cost of the holiday was broken down, was extraordinarily good value.

Best features:
1. Food. Not only plentiful, but also of very high quality, much more so than expected: good restaurant quality. There were five courses for lunch and dinner, including a buffet for starters and desserts, although the number of guests became so few that starters and desserts in time were prepared to order. There are even snacks and hot meals to order in between meal times, all inclusive. Drinks are much as one would expect at an All Inclusive resort, and were absolutely fine, and certainly plentiful, though I struggled with the house red. Other wines are available to purchase.
2. Staff. Without exception models of friendliness and helpfulness. The manager was around everyday and always asked when passing if we were happy. I hope the company realises what tremendous assets they have in the staff, with the names of whom - Lucas, Newton, Victoria, Edward, Mubarak, Moses, Hosea - we became very familiar during the course of the stay.
3. Size. DoA is small - only around 70 guests can be accommodated - although when we stayed there were never more than a dozen or so. Even with greater numbers, the atmosphere would remain one of informality and intimacy.
4. Facilities. Not only do guests have DoA, but also access to the three other hotels of the chain; the DoA bracelet one wears allows access and food and drinks from the other hotels, but guests from those hotels are not able to access DoA, which is a self-consciously luxury resort. We visited the others, but only once.
5. Condition. The entire resort is spotless and the quality of provision - rolled flannels for drying hands in the beach lavatories, cotton tableclothes, the pool and pool area, pre-dinner cocktails and snacks, etc, etc - is of a uniformally very high quality.

Worst features (and these are minor issues which even taken together don't amount to a serious criticism):
1. Location. The beach isn't a selling point. The sea is contained in a shallow lagoon, in which seaweed predominates. The 'beachboys' are neither unpleasant nor threatening, but are a nuisance if one wishes to be left alone on the beach, particularly close to the hotel (security guards very effectively keep the hotel's own raised beach area free from anyone but guests). DoA is part of a four-resort chain, all of which are bunched along the beach, with DoA at one end. The largest - Tropical Village - is the closeset, and much more family-orientated, with 'animation' and group activities; the music from various pool-based activities and the evening entertainments can be slightly intrusive.
2. Wifi. Wifi provision is good - and usually reliable - in the bar and restaurant lobby (only available there), but it would be a major asset if it were present in rooms, particularly as the TVs have only seven channels. The TVs are good for international sport, but I personally missed very much BBC World and/or CNN and would recommend that DoA obtains them.
3. Some may complain - we didn't and don't, but did overhear one such complaint - that the resort is both very quiet and very international. There were only two other British couples there during our stay, with other couples being Russian, Belgian, Dutch, American, Italian, etc. The Malindi tourist area is very heavily Italian in character, and the vast majority of tourists one encountered anywhere outside DoA were Italian. These points probably need to be known.
4. Children. DoA is an ideal resort for adults and couples; there are more suitable destinations for those with children, and the three children who were there during our stay were conspicuous.

Some recommendations:
1. If you're spending many days at DoA, the safaris bookable from the lobby ares very highly recommended, and better value - and much more convenient - than many available in Malindi. The accommodation on our safari was good, but nothing like as good as DoA.
2. Don't book excursions and trips from the beachboys.
3. Take pens and notebooks for children on the street and on safari - too often they're given sweets by tourists. The conditions in which some of them live are very poor, though the investment in schools is obvious - more so than in dentists - so pens and paper are much appreciated.
4. US dollars required for entry and exit from the country at the airport.
5. Plentiful, and potent, anti-insect sprays and potions are required. One of our party (me) had never been so ravaged, even in the tropics.
6. Tipping is a slightly awkward affair. No tips are expected - or offered - during the stay, but it's clear that staff hope for - and most certainly deserve - gratiuities as guests prepare to depart. Whether one disburses these to individuals or leaves a general tip in the box by reception is a decision we wrestled with: staff clearly prefer the former, but not all staff were present on the day of our departure. We rather sheepishly left a collective tip at reception as we left for the airport.

So, DoA is a wonderful resort, which we were sad to leave. We won't be going back, purely because there are so many other places in the world to visit; we can, and are very happy, however, to recommend DoA without reservation, as it were. It's very hard to imagine how it could possibly have been better (the points about location, above, being beyond the powers of even the most helpful manager). Our only misgiving is that we've been spoilt, and everywhere else after this will be compromised by comparison.

Room Tip: Rooms on the reception side of the hotel will be quieter, as those on the other side are closer to t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

160 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We have been having a lovely time at Dreams of Africa where the universally attentive and charming service has been a delight and really making our stay a pleasure . The hotel is very tasteful on all levels, with an understated but sophisticated decor - our room had a canopied bed, is very spacious and quietly luxurious. There is room internet access with a cable, and wireless in the lobby and bar area so many opportunities to keep in touch with base. The food in the restaurant has an italian edge to it which we enjoy (plenty of very good pasta) and is uniformly delicious and beautifully presented, with more than we can eat to be honest. I am at a loss to understand any reviews with complaints about it - particularly portions! Breakfast has lots to choose from whilst lunch and dinner has a choice of food over 5 courses so there is no going hungry and the chef manages a very varied and tasty menu which changes daily and includes plenty of lovely local fish. We are enjoying it too much if anything and once the wine and cocktails have been factored in we're in danger of being rolled onto the plane when we leave!

The hotel is quiet and peaceful which is what we like, though we have access to the facilities and entertainment of the more boistrous place next door so activities and organised entertainment are 2 minutes walk away should you want them. I would agree with the comments about the beach boys and they are annoying but this seems to be a local issue and out of the hotel's control, and we are doing our best to ignore them. Otherwise I cannot recommend this place too highly and it is the perfect spot to unwind after a hot and dry safari (which was amazing) to be pampered and spoilt in sight of the palm trees swaying in the breeze of the indian ocean. Bliss.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms have their own patio area with loungers and tables which is a nice option, th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Liedekerke, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

After a bus ride and a flight from Europe(Belgium & the Netherlands) to Mombasa remains about one and a half hour drive to Malindi-town, so we arrived around 23.00 in the evening. The food on board the airplane(Arke-fly) was not really great, so we felt hungry. Lucky for us, after check-in we found inside the spacious room a choice of fresh fruits, cookies and prepared sandwiches.The room had a private terras with sun-loungers, the bathroom was equiped with a double washbowl, jacuzzi in the tub, separeted toilet and shower clean and well maintained, exept for the windows which needed some attendence. The next morning at breakfast in the restaurant a table was assigned to us as long as we stayed so you do not need to look around for a free table, which pleased us. The meal services are partially buffets; mostly the hot dishes were served at the table after ordering from the two-choices-of-each-course-menu, that changed every day. We found the offered dishes to our likings: fish, lamb, beef, chicken, pasta, etc. and on wednesday the African dinner with local food. Everyday around 18.30 a coctailparty was organised which we could participate. Wi-fi didn't work in the room, but this we were told on arrival, around the bar-area the connection is good. After dinner this hotel becomes very quiet and peacefull which is to our thought part of the concept being a small luxury hotel with 35 rooms. The Coconut Village hotel next door is only a few steps away through the garden and since we were guests in the Diamonds we could take part in the activities: schow, dance, sports, etc. even the drinks there were all-included. From day one we had a good connection with the staff-members, a simple "Jambo"(=Hello) opened many doors and some of them became even our friends. On several occasions the manager came to greet us and asked if everything was allright. The hotel has is own protected private beach,but to go close to the sea-side you must go past de "Beach-boys",these are businessman trying to make a sale, if not intrested the best thing to do is ignore them because if we said "Thank You" they thought we were trying to get a better deal and a lower price. We learned to accept that some things and actions needed a little more time on the African continent than we are used to (=Hakuna Matata). On the question would we go back to this hotel if given the opportunity ? Without a doubt.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

I'm really enjoying my stay at Diamonds - Dream of Africa, the rooms are great, the staff are really friendly and there is a great variety of quality food. I've seen write ups complaining about wi-fi and food not being available, but I've had no problems. If there is one draw back its the hawkers on the beach, but once you've learned to ignore them it's no worse than elsewhere in Kenya..
I'd stay here again....

• Stayed July 2013
Suceava, Romania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

After 3 days of game drive we`ve been dreaming about our stay at Diamonds. So we arrived after a long round. The first impression was ok. The room was clean and very nice. With everything you need for a good stay. The wifi didn`t worked in our room although in tThere is a small pool in the right side at the Mvua Spa, but you can not use it unless you pay, so I found this pretty wired.In the first day we had opened buffet, and the food was excellent, seafood fish and a lot of fruits. From the second day we experienced the most dissapotinting meal. So the breakfeast was poor, and the same food everyday, just some bacon and beef sausages, one kind of chees, didn`t look very good, some tomatos and eggs to order, the yougurt only with fruits, if you want one natural you should us for one. i asked and she brought me after I finished my breakfest, so....The lunch was open buffet some salads, poor salads....one or two kind of fruits, and to order from the menu something like this: 2 kinds of soup, 2 kinds of pastas, 2 kinds of main cours and one vegetarian. the desert was poor also and if I had luck I could eat something before it`s finished. the same thing was for the dinner.The portions were small, like for a woman, so my husband had to eat a lot of salads lol. I like very much the melon, so I asked for the first time and the guy put me in my plate 4 pieces of melon, trust me really small pieces, the next day put me 3 pieces, and the next day put me 2 pieces, so maybe if I asked for another day he would gave me one piece of melon, and for another day non. So The 5* hotel is a dissapointing max 4* for the location and the rooms.The bathrobe was pretty old and used. the food was very good in the first day, but starting the next was really dissapointing. Everybody there sleeps at 10 pm so if you want to drink something after 10 you should pay some tip to the guy from the bar to not go to sleep, although the bar is open till 12 pm. I gave a tip to the reception, a great tip....to get a ground floor room, but I got a room at the first floor. So do not give them tips, it`s worthless. Better don`t go there, choose another location for the same money everybody could try better.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I am a firm believer in keeping your word and living up to your reputation, however this hotel did neither! First, they advertised that they had wireless in every room, but it turns out that they only had it in the lobby and restaurant area. They do have wired in the rooms, but was only told so after complaining that they said one thing to get us there, but offered something else; then I had to ask for the internet chord. After a long day of traveling from Nairobi to Malindi, I asked what were the times for meals since I had not eaten since earlier in the morning due to delayed flights. I was told that dinner was only 1 hour and 45 minutes long and it was 4 hours away. I stated that I could not wait that long to eat and was told that it was my only option, but I can have a "snack"! Sarcastically I asked if I was 5 years old or if I paid for a "5 star resort" that was "all inclusive" only to receive a shrug of the shoulders and a look that I can only interpret as " I dont give a F@#$". The final icing on the cake came the morning of check out. I told them that my flight was at 4, however I planned on checking out at 12. I was told that I had to leave at 10 since they had a full house ( the hotel was empty because it was offseason) and they were expecting guest. I asked how can they be expecting guest, since the flight that I was leaving on, was the only flight of the day and everyone will be coming in on the flight?! There were several other guest in the lobby that were " kicked out" of their rooms also ( I overheard their conversation with the front desk and other guest).Their staff was subpar and seem uninterested in anything that involved customer service (except for Raphael and Mark who works in the restaurant and were always polite and helpful). The food was also nothing to write home about.

I typically always look for the positive in anyplace that I visit and although the hotel itself was nice and quiet, the staff needs a big lesson in customer service especially in the hospitality field. I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone and although another trip is planned for Malindi, I will stay at another resort that at the very least values your business....

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

stayed there with my man and i wished we could simply live there. great beach access. nice, clean, white sand. rooms are nice and cosy. like a second home. and the service was wonderful. another nice place to stay while in malindi. very beautiful especially at night.

Room Tip: bottom rooms, i.e, on the ground floor r the best.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Diamonds Dream of Africa? Share your experiences!