“a great dissaponting” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Diamonds Dream of Africa

Save Saved
You added Diamonds Dream of Africa to your Saves list
Diamonds Dream of Africa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Casuarina Road | P.O. Box 68, Malindi, Kenya   |
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Malindi
Suceava, Romania
“a great dissaponting”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

After 3 days of game drive we`ve been dreaming about our stay at Diamonds. So we arrived after a long round. The first impression was ok. The room was clean and very nice. With everything you need for a good stay. The wifi didn`t worked in our room although in tThere is a small pool in the right side at the Mvua Spa, but you can not use it unless you pay, so I found this pretty wired.In the first day we had opened buffet, and the food was excellent, seafood fish and a lot of fruits. From the second day we experienced the most dissapotinting meal. So the breakfeast was poor, and the same food everyday, just some bacon and beef sausages, one kind of chees, didn`t look very good, some tomatos and eggs to order, the yougurt only with fruits, if you want one natural you should us for one. i asked and she brought me after I finished my breakfest, so....The lunch was open buffet some salads, poor salads....one or two kind of fruits, and to order from the menu something like this: 2 kinds of soup, 2 kinds of pastas, 2 kinds of main cours and one vegetarian. the desert was poor also and if I had luck I could eat something before it`s finished. the same thing was for the dinner.The portions were small, like for a woman, so my husband had to eat a lot of salads lol. I like very much the melon, so I asked for the first time and the guy put me in my plate 4 pieces of melon, trust me really small pieces, the next day put me 3 pieces, and the next day put me 2 pieces, so maybe if I asked for another day he would gave me one piece of melon, and for another day non. So The 5* hotel is a dissapointing max 4* for the location and the rooms.The bathrobe was pretty old and used. the food was very good in the first day, but starting the next was really dissapointing. Everybody there sleeps at 10 pm so if you want to drink something after 10 you should pay some tip to the guy from the bar to not go to sleep, although the bar is open till 12 pm. I gave a tip to the reception, a great tip....to get a ground floor room, but I got a room at the first floor. So do not give them tips, it`s worthless. Better don`t go there, choose another location for the same money everybody could try better.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I am a firm believer in keeping your word and living up to your reputation, however this hotel did neither! First, they advertised that they had wireless in every room, but it turns out that they only had it in the lobby and restaurant area. They do have wired in the rooms, but was only told so after complaining that they said one thing to get us there, but offered something else; then I had to ask for the internet chord. After a long day of traveling from Nairobi to Malindi, I asked what were the times for meals since I had not eaten since earlier in the morning due to delayed flights. I was told that dinner was only 1 hour and 45 minutes long and it was 4 hours away. I stated that I could not wait that long to eat and was told that it was my only option, but I can have a "snack"! Sarcastically I asked if I was 5 years old or if I paid for a "5 star resort" that was "all inclusive" only to receive a shrug of the shoulders and a look that I can only interpret as " I dont give a F@#$". The final icing on the cake came the morning of check out. I told them that my flight was at 4, however I planned on checking out at 12. I was told that I had to leave at 10 since they had a full house ( the hotel was empty because it was offseason) and they were expecting guest. I asked how can they be expecting guest, since the flight that I was leaving on, was the only flight of the day and everyone will be coming in on the flight?! There were several other guest in the lobby that were " kicked out" of their rooms also ( I overheard their conversation with the front desk and other guest).Their staff was subpar and seem uninterested in anything that involved customer service (except for Raphael and Mark who works in the restaurant and were always polite and helpful). The food was also nothing to write home about.

I typically always look for the positive in anyplace that I visit and although the hotel itself was nice and quiet, the staff needs a big lesson in customer service especially in the hospitality field. I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone and although another trip is planned for Malindi, I will stay at another resort that at the very least values your business....

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

stayed there with my man and i wished we could simply live there. great beach access. nice, clean, white sand. rooms are nice and cosy. like a second home. and the service was wonderful. another nice place to stay while in malindi. very beautiful especially at night.

Room Tip: bottom rooms, i.e, on the ground floor r the best.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

nice hotel. stayed one night on business. enjoyed the room, they really went out of their way to make it pretty with flowers and fruit. classy furniture and well maintained. great access straight onto beach. Would have loved to have stayed longer. note: no wifi in rooms (only in lounge/restaurant). hot water was a bit of a problem for the other guests in my party, but mine was fine.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We have just returned from a week here. We took our 9 year old with us. He is pretty good with just a pool/ocean to swim in so if your children need a kids club maybe think twice as the hotel next door Sandies was shut so no kids club at all this time of year.
Firstly in was low season there so at the very most there was only ever 20 ish guests while we were there. However the staff could not do enough for us. A la carte for lunch and dinner and a beautiful breakfast as well. Room cleaned daily, evening turn down service. The room was huge as was the bed. Fully equipped with TV, tea/coffee, hair dyer, safe, air con, towels and toiletries. The outside veranda had 2 sun loungers and a wooden table and 4 chairs. Remembering this is a poor part of the world it's not 5 star European but it is defiantly 5 star in Kenya. There was lime scale on the taps in the bath, the bathrobe had a little hole in it but so what, it didn't impact on our stay.
The outdoor space is beautiful the pool not overly big but warm and 20 meters from the beach/Indian ocean. Pool towels provided every day. Palm trees everywhere a real paradise.
There are beach boys that others have mentioned on here but so long as your firm and polite they leave you alone but to be fair to them, a lady we met from a couple holidaying there went to the beach boys/girls huts to shop with me (so 2 women) and although it was a bit daunting they where actually lovely and we had good fun trying on all the sarongs and handbags. The guard at the stepped entrance from the resort knew where we were but to be honest there was no need to worry. They sell some lovely wooden craved
animals and all manner of other things.
We did a day Safari whilst there called the Red Elephant Safari. We returned the same day we left and saw more than some people who had done 3 days safari. Please don't think you can't safari if you don't book before you go as you can book it all over there with your first choice rep. We wish we took stuff for the locals. There is a lot of poverty there and if we go again we will take sweets, pencils, paper and toothpaste/ toiletries for the locals. When someone asks you to trade a t-shirt for a wooden animal you know they don't have much, trading happens during the low season as they will take anything they can get for their wears but not so much in the high season so we were told. We loved it there not only was it paradise it also made us very humble. TIA DOA,the Harrisons. X

• Stayed May 2013
Hull, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned home from the first of our two planned trips to this amazing hotel this year, and as always we have had a perfect holiday. From the moment you step into the reception at the hotel to the moment you leave, you can be sure of first class treatment from each and every member of staff who cannot do enough to ensure a truly memorable holiday. A special mention this year to Roxy and Giuseppe who were managing the hotel in the absence of Alan;they did an exceptional job, and were present every day to ensure the smooth running of the hotel, and took time to spend with the guests.

This hotel offers a perfect retreat for those who want to be able to relax and enjoy the wonderful location in plush grounds, and luxurious accommodation, with great food, and company, nestled on the Indian Ocean, and "away from the crowd". The hotel also has a superb spa for those who like to be pampered.

We will continue to return to this hotel again and again, and can't wait for or next trip in October this year.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Malindi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The resort has an amazing team of Staff who are always out and willing to listen to you, The service right from the reception, Restaurant, Rooms, Beach is absolutely amazing. The Mvua spa is one of the best, the Gym is well equipped and at the sea front, the boutique is well stocked with variety of latest items on it's shelves, the Garden is ever green and healthy.

Room Tip: The Suites especially S 2 is wonderful.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Diamonds Dream of Africa? Share your experiences!