“Terrible” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sai Eden Roc Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Malindi
Sai Eden Roc Hotel
You added Sai Eden Roc Hotel to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   P.O. Box 350 | Lamu Road, Malindi, Kenya   |
Ranked #23 of 27 Hotels in Malindi
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

Terrible, do not stay there. The staff were rude and attitudinal and could not care less, the rooms were so old and dated, expensive. The hotel was empty, needless to say we left after 1 night.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

My husband and I took the advice of a friend and stayed at Eden Roc. We checked-in and signed a contract agreement concerning the rates and services. We pretty much wanted a Bed/Breakfast since we'd be out all day on leisure activities. We got a double room even after we'd mentioned we were married and decided to just let it pass.We were told we had to pay for breakfast for the first day and again we didn't mind at all.
The room was ok but we couldn't get the water temperatures right in the shower.It would be scalding hot water one minute then cold all over sudden.
The service was fine and the pool soo relaxing.
At one time, a guest was checking out and was upset about the charges he'd been imposed upon. We brushed it off thinking it was a random case where applicable taxes might have been high. However it also happened to us.
We told the staff on the eve of our checking-out that we wanted to check-out pretty early since we had to travel to Nairobi.Well we show up at the reception and the cashier is running late. Also they overcharged us and when we mentioned our contract, they somehow seemed to have "misplaced" copies of the agreement. The receptionist "Jackson" was also rude since he knew we were in a hurry yet kept stalling time. Later, we were told by the manager that the additional fee was due to lunch which was absurd since we hadn't had lunch there during our stay.Thank goodness we had extra funds so as to rush out feeling ripped off! Worst hotel experience ever!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

There were almost 30 of us that were apart of a mission group that stayed at Eden Roc. The rooms were clean with small balconies that overlooked beautiful gardens. The beds had mosquito netting. We did have warm showers; some of our other group members did not have water in the mornings. Maybe it was because we were all using at the same time in the morning? Food and service was excellent; we were well cared for during our stay. The grounds themselves were very expansive with beautiful pools, large gardens, and areas that would be perfect for large parties. The walk out to the ocean is very pretty. There are guards on the premises that keep an eye out for you so I did feel safe. We had a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
palermo, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

I had the most AMAZING time while in Malindi. The staff at the Eden Roc was the BEST I have ever had at any hotel/resort! Lucy was my housekeeper, and she went above & beyond while doing her daily duties. I had taken the opportunity to leave her a package of gum as a "thank you" for cleaning & getting other essentials that I had requested and she left me a message iwritten out with blades of grass & flowers! The front desk staff(sorry I don't remember their names) were so helpful with exchanging my money, explaining different culture manners, etc. The food was exceptional! A vary wide variety for any taste or diet. James, my server, was awesome! He remembered my drink choices, was very attentive, and encouraged me to try different foods by explaining what they would taste like, and what to combine with them.The pool & grounds were spotless, and the view was breathtaking. The only thing that was lacking in my opinion was the entertainment, but I think it was off-season.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at Eden Roc in January 2009 for one night as we could not stay any longer.
I had been there years ago and remember it to be one of the best hotels in the area. However, this time round, I did not experience it in the same way.
The service was great - made friends with the waiters who were very helpful.
The room we were put in had three single beds, although we had booked a double room. When we were moved next door, the room was not much better. Granted we got our double bed but the state of the room left much to be desired. I attach a picture of the shower head, which disgusted me the most. As you will see, I refused to spend another night there.
The location on the other hand is perfect, with its own private beach and three pools and additional sporting facilities. This much we enjoyed during the day. The food was lovely and we had no complaints.
I had been told that the president stays at this hotel when visiting the area and I wish we had been afforded the opportunity to stay in a lovely room but because of the rooms we were given, I have decided never to return there.
We moved to Oasis Village as most hotels were fully booked it being right after New Year; but we finally spent the rest of our stay at Coral Key Beach Resort, which was milestones better than Eden Roc.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2007

A lovely hotel with big spacious cottages, big beds......on a cliff overlooking the sea.Faithful enough to collect one from airport if requested. Service ok but very biased especially for Africans-you can be literally ignored! The evening entertainment programmes (boring at times)are conducted in both italian and english but at times italian only.Our complain went unheeded for one evening for change of language and we had to leave it.Otherwise, an above average hotel,at average prices to high prices.

Stayed October 2006
Bergen, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2007

After travelling around Kenya for almost 2 weeks we stumbled across this lovely hotel very central in Malindi.

We stayed at first at a friends place privately in Malindi but due too
many bad surrcomstances we needed a hotel room in a hurry.

This hotel ended up saving us and beeing a real haven!

The two of us girls had a great time.

We payed 5800 shilling for a middel class double room. It had no tv wich was a dissapointment since we had been in the bush for 2 weeks and longed for news and tv sapping. But it had a nice balcony and ok bathroom and AC. lovely!!!!!

The room could have been cleaner but we gave the cleaners some tip every day instead of the last day. I always does that while travelling. That trick does it every time. The room was suddenly much cleaner and it stayed clean.

It also had lots and lots of large ants that visited every evening. A bit discusting but quite normal in Africa and it was not too much of a bother. We stayed for 8 nights and after 2 days we got a "pet " salamander in our room. It stressed me a bit until I realised that it got rid of all the ants and evening mosqitoes.

The hotel has at least 2 pool areas. Someone told us there were even 1 more but we never saw one

The upper pool area has a large pool and sunbeds with and whithout shadow. There are one restaurant just by the pool plus a pool bar.

Going down in the larger hotel garden you felt more free and had more possibility to retreat and be left alone still there where a small pool there and a bar. It also of course has nice sunbeds under the many big palms.

A small stone path leads to the beach. There are hotel guards patrolling at the path.

Once on the beach you are on your own...

This is a hotel with mainly German guests booked through German travel agencies and I understood that they rarely had drop in guests like us. Most prebooked guests has buffet dinner. We did`nt. which ended up beeing a problem since the hotel does not serve dinner after 0330 pm. The buffet dinner starts at 7 pm and there is nothing but the buffet to order other than bear and wine. As long as you know this you are fine and can take a
toko toko to a restaurant in town. just remember that most eat outs in Malindi close between 3 and 7 pm....

Most of the african staff spoke German and I fond it a bit strange to be adressed in German every morning from the reseption....I speek a bit german but prefer English. but it did not bother us much.

The hotel has entertainment most evenings and you can sign up for tourist events outside the hotel.

If you need a ride to the city centre just fatch a toko toko outside the hotel. Any ride should not cost more than 50 shillings even at night time. Be aware of con men and africans aproching you in the streets. They ALWAYS wants your msongo money in some way or another......`

just next door from the hotel is the dico Club 68 I think its called.
A fun place with lots of lokals

We had a great time partying with some nice russian chopper pilots working for the UN. "slodem godem" Olexander and Nicolai : - )

Stayed January 2007

Been to Sai Eden Roc Hotel? Share your experiences!