“thought and passion” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Golf & Country Club, Beach Road, Malindi 80200, Kenya   |
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Malindi
“thought and passion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

The moment you step up the stairs into the resort's light and airy reception area you start to realize how much thought and passion was poured into this project. As you go through check in formalities your gaze can not help being drawn back across the lawns to the blinding white beach and ocean beyond. The beauty of this corner of Malindi is perfectly framed in the design of this resort, and from this point starts your pampering. You will find hard to leave the wonderful garden suites where everything, from linen to the toiletries, has been carefully and painstakingly selected. The two pools and a fabulous SPA for your relaxation will only be overshadowed by the simple excellence of the resort's kitchen. The pasta "aglio olio & peperoncino with vongole" is a gem and the pizza quite simply the best in Kenya. Don't miss it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I travel about 6-8 times a year and stay at a variety of places. Usually 5* hotels.

Ocean beach has got to be one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at. We went in August 2012. Seemingly low season as the hotel was quiet. We did not mind this. We had one of their bungalows and it was very secluded with a little garden.
If you are expecting Four seasons luxury, quilted slippers and a fluffy robe then this is not for you. However, if you are looking for minimalist, chick, colonial, elegance then great. They also offer a turn town service.

We went for half board and breakfast was cooked to order as well as fresh cakes, juices and fruits available on the Buffet.

Dinner was nothing short of mouthwatering. Lobsters, fresh seafood and although a size 8 I have a huge, huge, huge appetite and dinner was always a 4 course meal. Each was divine. This is coming from a self professed foodie.

Lunch was adequately priced, circa £15-£20 for a meal, fresh bread and drinks.
They always prepare fresh coconuts for you if you ask. We had about 4 per day between us.

Staff are super friendly, not intrusive but would always welcome the opportunity to converse.

Love the spa although its more aligned to European prices.
The Italian owner and his wife and mother are also super friendly. Again they go out of their way to make you feel welcome.

There was no gym when we went, but as I am lazy this was not an issue for me. If it is an issue for you then may I suggest you use the beach and run.

Not too much to see and do in the local town. A visit to Hell's kitchen is advised, the hotel can organise this for you. The hotel is 15 minutes from Malindi airport.

We went with our 10mth old and it was all great.

If ever in Malindi again we would 100% go back. Wish I could dot this hotel around the world.

Room Tip: Bungalows are great. Perhaps request once close to pool, beach and restaurant. Shorter walk you see.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I were actually staying at a small bed and breakfast but wanted to spend a few days in the resort lifestyle. The management were very helpful and welcoming to us at Ocean Beach resort. We told them we wanted to come for the day, have lunch, get a massage, and lay out by the pool and beach. The service was impeccable. The food was worth every penny. My husband had the club sandwich twice and I had the raw vegetables salad with breaded feta. It was delicious. The grounds are well kept and the furniture in pristine condition. The bathrooms were a modern marvel. Bloody Marys were bot on the menu but tey made us some anyway. They were superb. Everything you would expect from a five star resort. Definitely the nicest we saw in Malindi and we wandered the beaches for quite some time. Our advice, stay somewhere that might be cheaper and come pay the nominal 500 ksh for the bed by the pool at Ocean Beach Resort. It was lovely! Quiet and breezy! We will definitely be back maybe even to stay the night.

• Stayed December 2012
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Great team doing their job very well. I was thoroughly refreshed. 4 days and not enough time to sample all tempting activities on offer.

Very exclusive facilities for the discerning traveler. Unique spa facilities and excellent dining and accommodation. Staff very professional and friendly.

Good job. keep it up.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

This is one of Malindi's hidden treasures, and I think I like the fact that it is hidden. I had never heard of this place until last week, and I am glad i stayed here.
The facilities are awesome. The customer service is on point. The beach is beautiful - quiet, clean, no beach boys (YAY!!). It was great to actually go to the beach and not experience harassment from beach boys and "tour guides" - just sand and sea.
The staff made it their business to ensure clients' comfort. I felt like I was waited on hand and foot.
If you are looking for a quiet place to just gather your thoughts, or bond with a significant other, free from the noise of the world, this is the place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

As a resident of Kenya for the past 9 years, I have had the opportunity to stay at a number of resorts on the coast. Of all of my experiences, my stay at Ocean Beach Resort ranks at the very top. The resort is situated on a lovely stretch of deserted beach with miles of white sand to enjoy a sunset or sunrise walk. My room was absolutely gorgeous with a four poster bed, plenty of natural light and the roar of the ocean in the near distance. The bathrooms were large and beautifully crafted with Italian touches. I actually came on business but plan to bring my husband here very soon! It is perfect for couples and families. The food was delicious and the chef often chatted with guests to get feedback.

Thanks, Hodan H.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I came on business but my wife was there for leisure and please. We have found the perfect place to relax and enjoy in Malindi. My wife enjoyed the beach as well as myself with early morning walks and evening strools with wind blowing in your face which is made so easy since the hotel is on the beach front. In fact, we had a view of the beach from our terrace off of the room. We were in walking distance of main reception, food and the beach. The breakfast was wonderful and full of variety and if you did not find what you wanted you just order it. The hotel is secured with lighting on the grounds with two swimming pools for those who want to relax off the beach. The services were excellent and if you requested some thing it was done immediately with a smile. The airport is just minutes away but away from the crowded streets of Malindi. I found it a perfect place and in fact I would consider it for honeymoon because of its quiet environment. Furnature and landscaping so nice. Lastly we could hear the waves pounding on the beach at night, that is how close the Hotel is to the beach which is what we were looking for. When we come back to Malindi we will definitely stay at the Ocean Beach Resort and Spa, there is no other place like it even in Nairobi.

Room Tip: Get a room with the view of the ocean
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ocean Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!