“Best All-around Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Almaty

You added The Ritz-Carlton, Almaty to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, Almaty
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Esentai Tower, 77/7 Al Farabi Avenue, Almaty 50040, Kazakhstan   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 62 Hotels in Almaty
Arlington, Virginia
“Best All-around Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

I've been coming to Almaty for 5 years now about 6x per year for a week or more. This is the best all-around hotel, period. The service and breakfast are outstanding and the best of any of the hotels I've stayed in here (Intercon, Royal Tulip, and Hyatt before it turned into Rahat Palace). The hotel is new, modern, and very well appointed. Location might be a little further from city center, but it makes up for it by being right next to Essentai Mall so you have a number of choices for food within a 2 min walk if you can't afford 5 star hotel food every night, plus shopping, movies, and the river (aqua duct) walk. And b/c of their partnership w/Marriott, you get Marriott points (which I've found to be one of the better point systems when staying outside of the US).

Room Tip: Mountain view is the best and that's about 2/3 - 3/4 of the hotel. If you happen to have the no...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

So far, I have never been disappointed by a Ritz, and the way Ritz Almaty can deliver its usual five stars is all the more impressive, given its surroundings.

Pros:
- beautiful new room, comfortable and practical, everything in place
- outstanding, kind and professional service
- the club room on the 26th is brilliant in its self-controlled luxury
- the view is world class, to the astonishing mountains around the city
- the food is truly excellent and varied

Cons:
- the locations will be excellent, but not yet, the new financial district is just being built. The only place one can reach on foot is the Esentai Mall, which is pretty useless except for luxury, and also pretty empty. everything is by car, 15-30 mins. Yet again, this is Almaty :-)
- the club room for some strange reason only offers dinner until 8 pm.

All-in-all, easily the best hotel in Almaty, impeccable 5 star and a good value, too.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Mumbai, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

This is a swanky new hotel with very well appointed modern rooms (a first in Kazakhstan after a number of years im told). Stayed here 5 nights over 3 stays in the past 3 weeks. The hotel is part of a large real estate development which has apartments, offices and a high end mall. Hotel itself has a lobby on the 30th floor and rooms on 22-28 th floor. I am told this hotel was long in the making with a number of operators changing hands before ritz finally opened it, The reception and other common areas are therefore not typical of a ritz. Lobby is strange and small and the bar in an isle leading to a small lounge area which in turn connects to the coffe shop. The other restaurant is on 29th,

Nice, large, clean and well appointed rooms all done with modern designs etc which was very very required in Kazakhstan. The best part about the rooms and some portions of the lobby is the ceiling to floor windows giving a spectacular view of the city and mountains from 22 plus stories. The club lounge is very special here. I took the advise of a fellow reviewer and paid extra for lounge access which I found to be value for money. Its quieter and nicer to have meetings and has 4-5 different meal service through out the stay. This is only part of the hotel where service is outstanding. They lounge manager insisted on getting their chef to make something vegetarian for me each service. They try very hard. The other great thing about this hotel is that its fully non smoking. Brilliant given kazaks love their smoke and shisha

The trouble with this hotel is that it is facing some serious teething issues (and I hope thats all that is to it). Service across the hotel (other than the club lounge) is a problem. They cant seem to get it right. I can say this with confidence because I have stayed 3 times over and have faced trouble with service including some repeat issues.

Lets start with reception - checked in but my key folder dint have a key. Came back up to get one. Had a very early flight one of the mornings and requested an airport drop at the concierge in person the night before in addition to having a written confirmation before I arrived at the hotel) but no car at 5 am . I was told I got lucky by the door man as one car just happened to be around. On another stay, the concierge called asking if I would like a morning alarm given an early morning flight which I though was a nice gesture but no alarm rang. Thankfully I had an alarm on my cell phone.

I ordered take away breakfast each time I had an early flight and specifically asked for a vegetarian omelet (egg white) and toast, mustard and potatoes. The first time I got yellow omelet cheese with bacon, no toast and mayonnaise. The second time I got an egg white with half a toast (?) and bacon again. Not sure which part of vegetarian they dint get.

On one of the nights I asked the concierge for recommendations to a vegetarian restaurant. I was escorted in person by the concierge to an oriental restaurant in the mall below which had two vegetarian options both cold (salad and veg California role sushi without the fish).

On two evenings house keeping did not do the evening service / turn down of my room. The first time I called and requested that they do so and stepped out for dinner. 3 hours later no sign of this.

I could go on. I hope the hotel is able to get its act together and fix these issues. The intercontinental has rooms that are dated but the hotel functions superbly and in the 2-3 months of spring and summer has open air restaurants etc which is special in this very cold country.

The breakfast spread in the lounge was limited but okay. Anything extra (tabasco for eg) took a long time to bring since they had to go down to the kitchen I suspect. The breakfast spread in the main restaurant was better and larger but again not typical of ritz. Service slow.

Other than CNN and BBC no english channels on the TV.

Overall I would still recommend this hotel for the quality of its rooms etc and hope that they fix their service issues.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton Almaty earlier this year while I was on a business trip. While I have generally always been pleased with Ritz Carlton hotels, I'm a pretty picky traveler and was nervous as this is a newer hotel. However, I am happy to say that I was beyond pleased with my stay.

Service: Very helpful staff. From check in to room service to the concerige, everything was flawless. I went through the concerige for a driver to my meetings. The driver was on time and very professional. Further, I wanted to do a "tour of Almaty" but they didn't have an official tour package so two of the staff members, Natalya and Gauhar, arranged a driver and took me around themselves on a complimentary tour! It was SO nice and beyond what I would expect from any hotel. Not only were Natalya and Gauhar incredibly friendly, they were amazing tour guides. I was amazed by how much they know about their country/city. They even arranged snacks for me so I was able to try some of the hotel's pastries and sandwiches at the end of my complimentry tour. The best surprise came when I was checking out -- during the tour, we had taken a group photo up at the mountains. Natalya and Gauhar had it printed for me for my departure. Very sweet and thoughtful.

Food: I read a review that the food isn't good. I disagree. I thought the food at the hotel was very good. I dined at the buffet which was extensive and I also dined at the restaurant off the lobby, which was good. When I'm traveling, I like to have a variety of options and this hotel certainly had that. At breakfast, I could have a healthy/light meal while also trying some of their many pastries. Plus, everything was beautifully presented.

Rooms: Very clean, beautiful, modern. No complaints. They also put complimentary dried fruit and chocolates in my room.

Spa: I didn't end up getting a service but did a tour of the spa. It's beautiful and the staff was very sweet.

Gym: Had modern equipment and was light/airy. Would be a nice place to work out.

If you're traveling to Almaty, stay at this hotel! I cannot recommend it enough.

Room Tip: I had a city view. I imagine views of the mountains are better but the view from the dining room was...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Chandigarh, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I have stayed for 3 nights. It is ideally located and just next to top mall of almaty. The hospitality is too good in all respects. The best part is High speed WIFI (40MBS) in all parts of hotel and it was free for all guests. The lobby and restaurant on 30th floor offer excellent view of snow capped mountains. The breakfast served is very good. The staff is too cooperative in all respects. I had stayed on 21st floor. The room had all amenities to make the stay comfortable.

Room Tip: Corner room to Have 2 sided view.
Florence, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

What a great experience. The rooms are fantastic, all the personnel is very helpful and professional. Great breakfast offer with a great view.
Only disappointment is that the noise from the traffic can be heard up to the rooms.

Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Brande new hotel, everything perfect in the rooms. Service still in the early stages, but lots of goodwill. Flexible on check in (flights from Europe land very early) and check out times. Much better than other options, in all aspects.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Almaty? Share your experiences!