“Shocking, appauled, violated and ripped off” 1 of 5 stars

Kazahstan
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dostyk Ave., 52/2, Almaty 50051, Kazakhstan   |
Ranked #31 of 62 Hotels in Almaty
Astana
“Shocking, appauled, violated and ripped off”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I stayed in the "superior deluxe" room and was shocked when I arrived. The lobby was of reasonable standard, however when I got to the room I was less than impressed. Feeling the bed was the equilavent to touching the floor, (actually not joking) the room looked dirty and completely un-renovated, and the bathroom looked like something from 1920, with cracks in the walls. There was no aircon in the room, and it being Summer in Almaty the rooms were absolutely boiling especially at night when other things were of serious discomfort. (the bed) On the bed I piled up two dunas to try and soften the hardness however this was of little help. We had dinner at the guns n roses pub and grill which was pleasant as we sat outside next to the fountain. The food was not great however it was relaxing.
The sleep was terrible. I went to bed at 11 and at 2.30 I was still wide awake tossing and turning. I tried the couch, but that was too small, then I tried the floor, but that was even worse! Being so tired at about 3.30 I went back to the bed and fell asleep for a few hours.
The breaksfast was horrible, the eggs were rotten, and I struggled to find anything I could eat apart from cereal, which even that was of bad selection. We were sat next to an old man and which was most definitely a prostitute.
When I locked myself out of the room one night I had to go downstairs to get a new key, and I was faced with un-helpful and snide girls, slouched over the counter whispering things to eachother, as I had asked them for a new key rather than having to wait for the bell man who was assisting many other customers. Having come from Dubai, with amazing sevice, I was quite shocked to receive such un-helpful and un-willing service.
Basically, "feels like home" is far from the truth, and for anyone planning on staying here I say spend a bit more and go somewhere else!!!!!

• Stayed July 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Walnut Creek, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2009

Many Almaty hotels charge a small fortune for a so-so room. Being able to get something for under $200 a night that is not a flea bag is actually a find. And this hotel is in a good location for walking around town. It also has free wireless internet in the lobby which is great- internet is still a big deal in Kazakhstan.

The hotel has many levels of rooms. The basic room with two twin-sized beds is what you might expect in a 3-star inner city hotel in many parts of Europe. It was small but clean. The beds were way too firm, but otherwise no major issues with the place.

Not everyone in the hotel speaks English well, but this is not a luxury hotel- we could always get what we needed and everyone was polite and helpful.

With no AC, I'm not sure I would want to stay there mid-summer. But in winter it was fine.

They also have a free breakfast buffet (decent enough) and the lobby restaurant is open 24/7-- a great place to hang out while waiting for your 4AM flight home. It has hotel restaurant prices but everything was pretty good. The Guns and Roses bar is also very popular but we can't comment.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Pukekohe, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2008

Hotel Kazakhstan is an ex-Soviet hotel in a tower block. the staff are helpful but limited in their English. Rooms aren't airconditioned but each has a fan and the windows can be opened which I found sufficient.
The hotel has a formal restaurant and and a English style pub/grill bar which is very good.
There is free wi fi in the lobby but most of the time I was unable to connect.
While it's not a international standard hotel, it is clean and comfortable and considerable cheaper. The hotel is centrally located and 20 minutes from the airport. Recommended.

• Liked — Views of the mountains from the room.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2008

I stayed at Hotel Kazakhstan in May 2008 and can't say that it was a very pleasant experience. I was on the 9th floor and the room looked like it was built in 1920 - the bathroom was decrepid, with holes in the tiles, really disgusting bathtub that looked as though there were permanent stains in it, found 2 roaches, the tv didn't work at first, but when it did, it got maybe 5 stations, 1 of which was in English (CNN). The room was SO HOT that I asked to have a fan, since they didn't have air conditioning - I ended up getting sick from having the fan blow on me (had no choice, otherwise, I would have sweat the entire night and been unable to sleep at all), couldn't leave the one window open, as the sound from the street was too loud. The walls were peeling, and it just felt old and poorly kept up (maybe they'll be renovating this floor in the future?!). I must say - the service was good - when I asked for a hair dryer, it was brought to me immediately, when I asked to have my tv fixed, someone came immediately. The breakfast was also pretty good. It's a beautiful hotel from the outside, and in the lobby, just not in the rooms. Too far from the town too.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — The bed - was hard and separated in the middle with a wooden slab / needed refurbishing!!!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
vickye
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2008

Probably the most well known hotel in Almaty, we arrived at the Hotel Kazakhstan very early after an overnight flight. We'd booked the hotel's car service but for some reason it didn't turn up at the airport (we arrived early and waited until the arrival time we had specified when booking) so we took a regular taxi. Unless you're a local, DON'T do this! The driver who appeared quite pleasant at first wanted to charge us $200, and when we didn't pay tried to force our bags and us back into the car to go back to the airport, shouting in Kazakh. Doormen were already looking out for us but I went into reception to find someone who could translate for us and they sent out a bellboy. They didn't seem to do much but having other people around stopped things escalating and eventually we gave the driver 6000 tenge (for a 3000 tenge journey!) and he left. If i ever go to Almaty again there is no way I'd take a taxi from the airport. We did get the hotel service back to the airport and for 3000 tenge it's certainly worth it - two fairly beaten up Mercs wait outside the hotel all day specifically for this purpose.
Aside from this we had a pleasant stay in Almaty. The hotel isn't quite as close to the city centre as I would've liked - even things that look close on the map such as the Central State Museum are quite a walk. i think that's just how the city is set out. Busses are very very cheap (just get on and eventually a conductor will come round to ask for the 40 tenge fare)
The 'refurbished' room was clean and comfortable, and with an amazing view. The 26th floor restaurant mentioned in the guidebooks is still closed, but you can go up to the top floors and take photos from the windows at the ends of the corridors. The breakfast buffet is great too.
As so few hotels in Kazakhstan seem to have any internet booking facillities, options for independent travellers feel a bit limited, but the Hotel Kazakhstan is certainly a good choice, and if I ever return to Almaty I'll probably stay here again.

• Liked — The amazing architechure of the hotel and the great breakfast buffet
  • Disliked — The distance from the city centre
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2008

This was my first visit to this hotel (for business, 3 nights). Hotel Kazakhstan is a well maintained and well run hotel, with a large breakfast buffet. Several of the reception and restaurant staff speak English very well. My single room rate in March 2008 was 27000 tenge per night including breakfast (224 USD). Airport transfer was 3000 tenge each way (25 USD). The hotel has a remarkable Soviet architecture and a crown on top. My single room was similar to one in a Holiday Inn (although smaller than a US room but a bit larger than an inner-city European room), the TV has about 25 channels including CNN. The bathroom was very nice, bed comfortable, room quiet. There is a safe and a mini bar in the room, the view towards the mountains (back) or the city (front) is wonderful. My room was on the 14th floor so I imagine that the view is even better higher up in the hotel (26 floors in total). Dinner was good (25 USD for 3 courses including mineral water). For a more local experience walk up Dostyk Avenue about 10 minutes and cross the street to Middle Eastern/Asian restaurant Serbet. Excellent food, 60 USD (the menu is only in Russian and Kazakh though but some of the staff spoke English). There is also a very good Thai restaurant next door to the hotel (100 USD, try one of the horse meat Thai recipes, menu is also in English and some of the staff and the manager speak English). There is a nice supermarket and food court about 10 minutes on foot from the hotel called "Russia" in Kazakh (Rosye if I remember correctly, down Dostyk Avenue, on the same side of the street as the hotel). It has a large selection of chocolates, fruits, nuts, mineral water. Inside the food court, just before entering the supermarket there is a newspaper stand that sells maps of Almaty (I paid 250 tenge for a small one, but they also had a better/larger map).

Recommended: ask reception to show you the way to the cable car (5 minutes on foot from the hotel) and go up the mountain just before sunset (500 tenge each way) - stunning view!
If you're planning to check out a few more restaurants or read more about the city read "A Hedonist's Guide to Almaty & Astana" ISBN 9781905428212, November 2007.

• Liked — Safe, comfortable, several good restaurants at walking distance
  • Disliked — Not close to city center
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Kazahstan? Share your experiences!