“Decent enough place in Naha” 3 of 5 stars

Stella Resort
3-6-41 Makishi, Naha, Okinawa Prefecture 900-0013, Japan   |
Ranked #50 of 54 Specialty lodging in Naha
Melbourne, Australia
“Decent enough place in Naha”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is quite a quirky, but definitely not unpleasant, place to stay in the centre of Naha. Efforts have clearly been made to brighten up an otherwise dull place with lots of potted plants so that it looks a bit like an indoor jungle. The staff are very friendly and accommodated all of our needs. There is a large common area with TV, microwave and hot water urn (if you wish to self-cater to an extent). My only criticism of the common area was that (it being Japan) there were many smokers who frequently sat in the common room smoking away. Our double room was particularly large (especially by Japanese standards), but was quite hot (air con is not included in the price), which meant that we often left our door open to let in a cool breeze (the small corner window was insufficient) - this allowed all the cigarette smoke to waft into our room.

The bed was probably the hardest I have ever slept on, and required me to make a make-shift mattress out of all the available cushions (thankfully there were many). The shared toilets were clean - but note that there were only two cubicles for what is a large-ish hostel. We were there in the off season, but I can see that it might be a problem if the hostel were fully booked. The showers are on the roof, and again there are only two for men and another two allocated for women. They were cleaned daily and shampoo and soap were also provided.

The hostel is located in a shopping arcade and is quite a safe and central part of town. It's quite touristy but if you wander far enough, you can find more local (and cheaper) places to eat. Overall, I enjoyed my time here but I'm not sure if I would return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

If you're looking for Western comforts (or any comfort at all, really), this place is most likely not a good choice. I stayed with a large group of Japanese and American students for 3 nights, and while we're admittedly spoiled, we're really not that hard to please. We stayed in 7 different dorms/hotels/hostels during our month studying in Japan, and we were satisfied with the simple accommodations of all but Stella Resort. It was completely unanimous that this hostel was the worst of the batch by a large margin.

The power went out every night because it's an old building that couldn't handle laptops being plugged in while the laundry machine was on. This meant I had to shower in the dark in the wooden barrack-style shower stall on the roof. That's an adventure once, but it's irritating three nights in a row. Most people chose to go to a nearby onsen (for a discounted fee, thanks to a special rate from the hotel front desk).

I slept in the women's dormitory, also barrack-style in that the room was subdivided into 12 capsules. I slept on a top row, and the futon was adequate (though thin). There was a convenient power outlet in my capsule, and I was able to access the free wireless network from my bed. However, I was paranoid about unwanted guests: Stella Resort is home to the largest cockroaches I've ever seen in my life. While sitting around with my friends in the common area in broad daylight, we saw enormous bugs strut across the floor and up the wall like they owned the place.

The bathroom was dilapidated and cramped, and completely inadequate when the hostel was at capacity. There was ONE sink in the women's bathroom for 35 girls to use. It was a pain to ask to use the sink to wash my hands while several other girls were washing their face or brushing their teeth. There was at least one pay-per-use washer/dryer, as well as many laundry facilities in the area.

Speaking of which, the location was great. It was located in a mall that catered to tourists with numerous gift shops and ramen restaurants, though it got a little seedy at night when everything closed. The train is very close by, along with a large commercial area and decent nightlife. We loved Okinawa, but we dreaded going back to Stella at the end of the day.

I would stay at Stella Resort if my only other option was to sleep on the street, but even then it would be a tough choice.
Okay, not really, but when I return to Okinawa, I will definitely be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Stella Resort? Share your experiences!