“Fabulous location, nice accommodations with some minor negatives.....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Kabira Beach

You added Club Med Kabira Beach to your Saves list
Club Med Kabira Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ishizaki 1, Ishigaki, Okinawa Prefecture 907-0543, Japan   |
Special Offer
All-Inclusive Packages
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels / Ryokan in Ishigaki
Okinawa, Japan
“Fabulous location, nice accommodations with some minor negatives.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Just returned from a 2 night stay over a Labor Day weekend at Club Med Kabira. I've never stayed at any Club Med so didn't know the Club Med concept. It's like being on a cruise ship but on land is the best way I can describe it-ALL INCONCLUSIVE! This is nice to have it all inconclusive but there are those times too when you want to just have it more low key as well and flexibility to do your own thing so keep this in mind as you will be isoloated from the Island of Ishigaki.....

The location is absoulutely amazing. Beautiful beaches with pristine warm water. The accommodations are nice as well as there are many things to do here. It really is built for the family.....I should add the family with older kids. Our daughter was 2 years old and given her age not eligible for the kid groups and given her age needs close supervision. Here is the review:

Room: we stayed at the Deluxe Sea View Room: room itself was comfortable and clean. It came with a refrigerator and small TV. Bed was firm and a little uncomfortable. Bathroom was clean and with a good shower. We had internet via 3G but don't know if we had free wi-fi. View was amazing from our room. We stayed quite aways down from the main complex area which with 2 year old was a little of an inconvenience. In fact they put us on the third floor so was not happy about that since we had to carry our stroller up the stairs.

Grounds: Very nice. Beautiful pool in the central location along with many types of activies to do around the complex. There is a trapeze bar/trampoline, nice gym with a few treadmills/bikes, ping pong tables, basketball court, soccer field (didn't see) nice bar for relaxing, and restaurant-average ok. All in all grounds are beautiful and they do a great job keeping it up.

Restaurant/food: Food was good. They have quite a mix of foods from Asian to Western. Quite busy at times during dinner.

Staff: Very friendly and saw some names from prior reviews such as Ghazzo and Ryan (Manager) who went out of their ways as GO= "Gentle Organizers" to help and make you feel welcomed. There was language difficulty at times asking the staff for items (they come from all countries to include, Japan, China, Indonesia) and that just comes with being in a different country.

Pros:
-All inconclusive (nice to have everything taken care of before you stay)
-Friendly staff
-Beautiful accommodations
-Family Oriented

Cons:
-All inconclusive ( sometimes this can be a negative if you want to have things low key)
-Dinner time: at 18:30......this was late for us with a 2 year old.
-Room service for cleaing: a tad slow, didn't make it to our room until 17:30! That was after complaining to the front desk staff.
-Better check in orientation-ours was rushed.

Recommendations: We went during a very busy time: Labor Day Weekend. I would recommend going in an off time like October or late Fall/Spring. I would avoid summer and that is just my recommendation since I don't like crowds. It was busy at night for dinner like a cow herd waiting to be fed. I would come back again but at a slower time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hualien, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

It’s our second trip to Club Med Kabira and we enjoyed the 5-day vacation as much as the first time. We found the drink bar was renovated and new transparent boats were purchased; we also got to know some very nice G.O.s--Ghazzo, Teresa, Gox, Kobi, Laurenzo, Benjamin and many others. They were energetic, passionate, and always ready to help. Even the “Village Chief” (General Manager) Ryan was a nice and friendly person, he came to greet everybody on every possible occasion. For my family, it’s more than just a perfect destination for vacation, we can relax, explore, and develop physical fitness. We kayaked, snorkel dived, biked around the bay, and tried trapeze. It also features intercultural experience and foreign language exchange. Our two boys were most fascinated by their mini-club activities and excited about meeting new friends from various countries. We definitely look forward to our third trip to Kabira in the near future!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed at Club Med for six nights in July as part of a package. We were booked for three nights but ended up there for six because of a typhoon.
We had a really mixed experience, but the main thing is that this is a great hotel for people looking for an all-inclusive place to park up with their families. As a couple who really wanted to experience a traditional Japanese set up and get to know Ishigaki town (20 mins away), it wasn't for us.
The beach is gorgeous and the setting couldn't be better, but the hotel feels geared around families. Meals started and ended very early, we had to wait for a table for two one night etc etc.
For what we'd paid our agent, we really didn't feel Club Med offered value for money, though this may not be the resort's fault. The rooms were basic compared with other hotels we stayed in on this trip, and the services weren't on a par.
When we arrived on the first day, the room air con was down and we were eventually moved at midnight. After the typhoon, our air con was down again and wasn't fixed before we left more than 24 hours later. We weren't offered a fan.
All this said, the staff were excellent during the typhoon and were very reassuring.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in one of the blocks closer to the central complex to avoid a long walk.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Although we are extensive travellers, regular visitors to Club Med villages and frequently research tripadvisor this is my first ever review but that's how good Club Med Kabira was! Ishigaki Island is totally stunning and Club Med has one of the best spots on the island.

The entire GO team were wonderful and one of the best teams I have come across ( from about 20 Club Med visits). Although there is not extensive night life it is never dull. So thank you Ryan, Jenny, Ghazzo, Mobeen, Nafel (the best Michael Jackson!), Daniel, Lorenzo,Sid, Aisya , Eka,Louis, Kelsey and everyone else -you were all great!

• Stayed July 2013
Taipei
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

As we have two boys, aged 3 and 4, Club Med is our no-fuss choice when it comes to family travel. We have been to most of the Club Meds in Asia Pacific. Club Med Kabira is by far the most convenient as we live in Taipei, and it takes less than an hour flight on the regular summer charter.

What we like most about Club Med Kabira is its location, Ishigaki. It's a beautiful island. The beach is pristine. Our rooms were on the first floor, and we were very surprised to find a family of super huge toads passing through the lawn that leads to the beach every evening. Our boys loved watching the toads. One night we took a rental car out to see the stars. We did not see the stars as it was cloudy that night, but we almost ran into a pretty sizable wild boar. Very cool.

The pool was nice and clean. Saw staff make regular check of the water, which was comforting. Sport facilities are well maintained and the staff on duty were capable. We tried trapeze, tennis, pool activities, and archery. The trapeze instructors spoke good English and were very capable in helping even the least sportive kind manage the seemingly impossible sport. The archery instructor was attentive and friendly. We brought our boys to archery. He made sure that the boys were safe and entertained when my husband and I were practicing. He even gave our boys a medal for being such good sports, which they loved. The only thing I would suggest is that the trampoline was a bit crowded as the opening hours were too short for the queue of kids who wanted to try.

The food was reasonable for children. There was always a good variety for our boys to choose from. The Ishigaki beef steak which my husband paid extra for was quite good. The restaurant staff was busy but seemed in control of the situation given the huge crowd coming through.

Our rooms might have been a bit far out from the reception/restaurant/pool, but they were new and clean. Housekeeping was prompt. One night our boys spilled some sand from their beach toys on the floor. I called housekeeping and asked if they could send someone to help. Staff arrived in about 5 minutes and was very professional.

The Mini Club and front desk persons need serious improvement, however. First the Mini Club. We did not spend a lot of time there, as our boys were reluctant to join the group. I must say, however, that the facility needed more investment in variety of games and books for children of different age group. By any standard of daycare or kindergarten, the Mini Club was quite insufficient.

And then the Front Desk staff. I had a rather unpleasant encounter with a couple of the female staff on duty on different days of my stay. Honestly, I was there on vacation enjoying some peace. I approached the front desk only because I needed help with essential things, like finding out how room change would work and how I could get to my rental car. I had thought that perhaps it was a language issue, but from what I have read of the reviews in Japanese by those who had visited at about the same time of my stay, I realized that I was not alone. The two (of the four I encountered) did not want to help, and did not seem like they wanted to be stationed at the front desk. While the management was very helpful in sorting out the logistics issues I had needed help with, a hotel should not rely on crisis management. The hotel management needs to select and train more capable front desk staff.

Despite these hiccups, my family and I enjoyed our stay. We would recommend Club Med Kabira, and we will go back again. After all, we did have a fantastic time there. We hope that the management would pay more attention to improving the mini club facility and staff attitude. It would make this place an excellent destination for families.

Room Tip: Families could choose two rooms with a door in between. They are great. First floor rooms have eas...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Yilan, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

After giving birth to two kids, my husband and I have not been able to travel inside nor outside of Taiwan. Our daughter used to cry and scream after being in any kind of car ride for 30 min. She's now one year and eight month. Because we started to see her maturing, we decided to go somewhere out of Taiwan, but we wanted to make sure that it's close enough so that she wouldn't freak out in the car or plane ride. We chose to go to Club Med Kabira Beach for 5 days 4 nights. Although we were looking after our own children 24 hours, on the day when we left, I had tears in my eyes.

The best part of the trip for us, is that the GO's are EXCEPTIONAL. They made us feel like home from the moment we stepped off the bus which brought us from the airport to Club Med. During our stay, we had some issues with our daughter having difficulty poo-pooing. When the GO's knew about it, they immediately offered to whip up a drink of prune+banana+milk. My daughter pooped the next day. Each single one of the GO's is an angel. They all work so hard everyday, making sure everyone is enjoying their times at Club Med. The best part is, you can tell that they themselves truly love what they do, too! They are geniuently fun-loving people who have so much passion and energy.

To sum it up, in addition to the wonderful and relaxing environment in Club Med, the GO's are the main reason why I would strongly, strongly recommend anyone to go to Club Med Kabira.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My family and I visited Club Med Kabira Beach on Ishigaki Island in Japan recently. I would say it is one of the most beautiful islands we have visited and the Club Med experience made the trip a fully rounded perfect family week away. I cannot emphasize enough how beautiful the location is, the colour of the water, the coral reef, mountanous volcanic island landscape and perfect weather throughout. If you plan your trip correctly, the hotel is not too hard to get to, there are easy connections from both Taipei, Okinawa and mainland Japan arriving at a brand new Ishigaki international airport. The shuttle to the hotel is fast ( 20 mins ) and the arrival is up to Club Med standards with the hotel manager and staff all waiting to greet you when you pull up. Ryan, the hotel manager ( Chef du Village ) runs a very good team, top standards at all times and extremely friendly. He is equally focussed on all guests yet somehow always has time for you, his energy seems to be boundless. He has two very good support managers, Jenny and Ghazzo who were all extremely kind towards my wife for her birthday, ensuring that she was treated well. Special recognition to Enda ( and his manager Siddarth ) in the main restaurant. Enda went out of his way to ensure that my entire family were well looked after during the entire stay. When 3 of the family came down with a small stomach bug ( not from the hotel, my boys caught someting in school ), Enda went out of his way to prepare a special menu and individually provided his own special room service keeping an eye out that everyone was eating and keeping well. Thank you very much for your care and attention Enda. But honestly , Ryan has built a great team in Kabira, really a great and friendly group of Club Med GOs! The enthusiasm and energy which all the staff show is incredible, towards the guests, display in the evening theatre and shows ( especially with Angung's choreography ) to end off perfect days outside playing sports. During the days, a good collection of water, ocean activities and ground sports are available everywhere in the resort with easy hassle free access so much fun. I ran around a 3km mountanous paved track hugging the shoreline everyday. In the gym, Mobeed ran packed pilate and yoga course twice a day and was involved in many other fun gym and training sessions. The gym is good with beautiful ocean views on the treadmill. The aircon also works well in this Club Med gym as it doesn't always in others. The ocean is perfect for scuba diving ( I'm a qualified instructor ), snorkelling or sailing. The resort is fully stocked with Ocean canoes, windsurfing equiptment, parasailing, etc. All at the doorstep of the room. Our room was a few meters away from the beach with a outdoor shower outside the room to help rinse on the way back. The beach is a coral beach, beutiful in colour and clean, but still coral, so you will need your ocean water shoes. Shingo and Iris in the Discovery center have a good collection of tours and activities, lots to do outside of the hotel premises. We went on a pottery course ( Ishigakin pottery is famous ) and we visited some of the regional islands to see some of the local culture. All easy and well managed. The restaurant is excellent and the food was delicious. Special thanks to LeRose, Herry, Choday, Kazu, Shiho and the other chefs for preparing a very healthy and exciting mix of Japanese and Western cuisine. The all you can eat sashimi and sushi evenings were our favorite, but the kitchen would also prepare whatever the children wanted as well. The food was definitely up to the highest standards and beautifully presented. The lounge was always fun in the evenings prior to the evening shows and after when it would become a centre of activity with all the guests meeting afterwards. Special thanks to Aby from Singapore for the great welcome he offers to families and kids especially - but also special thanks to his team with Kobi ( seasoned veteren! ), Niko ( double hatting with the boutique ) Narumi, Mitsu adn Mamina ( who gave an amazing stage performance in the last show we watched in the theatre ). Mike from Australia was everywhere all the time (not sure how he did it?) but we want to thank him very much for making all us laugh so much during the several shows which he was in. Great work everyone, fun from morning until evening. Finally, our boys attended the mini club most days and Nahoko and Cupi ran a great kids camp with excellent activities on the beach, trampoline, in the pools ( the kids won the pool boat sailing competition), as well as tennis lessons, tug of war in the garden areas and especially the pyjama parties, which the boys loved - we couldn't get them back to the room afterwards. Excellent Mini and Petit Club and Kabira is simply great for kids. Many thanks to Manami, Kyoko, Gok and Miki for doing a great job at looking after the children, mixing Japanese, English and Chinese stories and activities. Well to close, as you can see from the amount I've written, we had a dream holiday at a dream location. We will defintitely return. Great job Ryan you run a very good show and to all the staff of club med, thank you for your kindness and warm welcome to Ishigakin Japan. We look forward to seeing you again.

Room Tip: Block I right on the beach
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Club Med Kabira Beach? Share your experiences!