“Family friendly!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Kabira Beach

Save Saved
You added Club Med Kabira Beach to your Saves list
Club Med Kabira Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ishizaki 1, Ishigaki, Okinawa Prefecture 907-0543, Japan   |
Special Offer
All-Inclusive Packages
Ranked #6 of 32 hotels in Ishigaki
Okinawa, Japan
“Family friendly!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

We just got back from a four day stay. It was picture perfect. The senery was wonderful. Many activities for the whole family (we had a family of 6 with infant to school age children). Clean rooms and beautiful grounds. The best part is the friendly, inviting staff. I could not single out one person that was more accomidating than another. From check-in, dining, excursions, water/land activities, evening shows and Mini club they are all awesome! I wasn't planning on taking my children to the mini club, but I couldn't get my daughter out! She had such a wonderful time and felt very special with all the attention and activities that she participated in. I would highly recommend this vacation spot. There is one down side...you have to leave and go home.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

305 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Tokyo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

All in all it is a great place, but since I was on a company trip I didn't pay. I'm not sure Club Med would be my choice if I had to pay very much. Kabira is a beautiful place. The Club Med resort and the surrounding areas are a natural paradise. The beaches are absolutely fantastic.
I do have mixed reviews about Club Med itself. The grounds are beautiful and very well-kept. The standard rooms are worn-out, not unclean, just worn-out. The double bed was 2 singles put together and there was a bar in the middle.The deluxe rooms are better but still not great. The facilities are past their prime. The spa was super expensive. The dinner buffet was really good, plenty to choose from and very delicious. Breakfast also had a wide choice but seemed to all be rather bland and not really good. Lunch was in between, not great but not bad. Most of the staff are really friendly. The bar was OK but they don't try very hard to be creative with their very limited choice. For example they absolutely won't wake a mojito because they don't say they don't have fresh mint, but of course the kitchen does have fresh mint. They are very rigid to follow their Club Med rules. If I had to pay resort prices myself I would expect more flexibility.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

it was our second time visiting there and we went there for college graduation trip.
first time was for high school graduation trip.
everytime we went there, we got wonderful experience beyond our expectation.

the most remarkable point is staffs, who are called "GOs".
they are very friendly and kind. we could have an amazing time because of GOs.

i recommend there for students, because of the all inclusive system.
with this system, you can get free delicious foods, drinks and many attractions with budget-friendly price. ( there are many discount plans. check their website) .
you dont have to worry about money. this is gonna release you from daily life and make your trip like it is a dream.

Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

For this hotel,I really enjoyed because the cuisine in the Club med is excellent!Why I say so is because every night,the theme of cuisine changes and also the show which begin after dinner will change also that means the customers can see different show and eat different kinds of food every day!
And talk about staff,I was suprised because the staff always sat next to ke and eat dinner or breakfast,even lunch with us that can relax ourselves and also we can talk with them just like friends!This is the thing that I enjoyed best in this hotel!
And last,I hope you can be there once and feel same feeling with me!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Okinawa, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

3 days was not enough, our family needed a few days to reconnect after a few months of non stop work and Club Med was just what we needed! We were nervous because the weather forecast was not the best, but the staff definitely made up for it! From the minute we got there we were taken care! We got there early in the morning and were given a tour and taken right to our rooms, no wait! The kids enjoyed the mini club with their amazing care givers and we enjoyed a drink at the bar. The staff was beyond welcoming and entertaining! The food was a great mix between Japanese and western style food, and plenty of selection! Beer & wine was available with every meal and a great all you can drink bar was available all day starting at 10am. Finger food was available most of the day at the bar as well. Despite the weather, there was plenty to do, bar games, table tennis, the spa (extra charge but so worth it), board games, yoga, squash, walk on the beach, and every night there was live entertainment. The same lovely people making sure your day was wonderful, entertained you at night. Ara was definitely the highlight of the night. He and the rest of the staff were so funny and highly entertaining!

The resort offers excursions at an extra cost, but they will tailor them to your needs. Joanne modified one of the trips to the mini zoo just for us and it was perfect! The kids got to feed and play with 36 monkeys, definitely one of the most memorable parts of the trip!

The only down side to the trip I would say were the beds, not very comfortable, but that is very common we've found throughout Japan. The view from our room was gorgeous!

Club Med's best asset is definitely it's staff! The GM Dominique was beyond accommodating; the care givers Bianda, Eng, and Asako were not only wonderful to our children but to us as well; Roy our bartender always knew exactly what we wanted; and Ara & Tom Tom are the reason we will be returning! They were the perfect mix of fun, entertainment & making sure we were happy! I can't say enough about the staff as a whole, perfect!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Tokyo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

French Queen Marie Antoniette had a fake village built for her in the park of Versailles to enjoy the 'simple life' of the peasants. Club Med seems to follow that French tradition, with a simple three-star beach resort, calling it a club and is charging 5-star prices.
Location : Kariba Bay is 30 minutes away from the airport/main city, so unless transport is included, a rental car can make sense (abour Y 5,000/day)
Reception : Disappointing. They even asked 'Is it your first time at Club Med' which we confirmed. We were then hoping for a more detailled explanation, but we were just shown our room. The 'information package' in the room was only a A4 sheet and many things we could only find out by chance over the next days, e.g. that the 4 sodas in the fridge were free (but never refilled). We somewhat felt that the lack of explanation is to seperate the regular club customers from the newbies.
Food/Drink : Free Beer/Wine/Cocktails all day long. Food was non-spectacular buffet fare with once a roast, but usually more in the ranges of chicken and fish. Kids were happy but my wife had expected more. Excellent variety, maybe also due to the fact that the guests were a mix of Chinese/Japanese/French/Europeans/Australians. Seating was somewhat chaotic as there are a limited number of private tables and then you just get seated at larger tables where there is space. Even that was poorly organized, so it can happen that you go back to the buffet for seconds and find your place occupied by somebody else. Ishigaki Island is famous for its beef, but this would cost extra. Our most memorable food in Ishigaki was the beef BBQ lunch at Kinjo downtown, the restaurant recommended in Wikitravel.
Beach/Pool : Superb pristine private beach with some activities (snorkeling, etc.) at one end. But only one pool (1.1 m) with one part as a shallow kid's pool. Even we were here in October, almost all sunbeds were taken, but often only 'reserved' with towels. Staff should clean them up if not used and I'd see this as a problem during the high season.
Rooms : Clean but surprisingly basic and old. Room keys not programmed but with punched out holes which I had not seen in ages. Thus we were given an additional card for 'purchases' which we promptly managed to lose and were charged $ 10. Other hotels would charge purchases on the room card and let you keep it.
Staff : Dominique, the French manager was ever-present and even performed at some of the evening shows. I was surprised that most of the staff was from third world countries such as Brasil, Malaysia, China, Bali,...
Kid's Club : One of the highlights of the resort. You can drop off your kid any time and they even have lunch together. Many outdoor and indoor activities.
Sports : Ideal for snorkeling in the bay, but also many other sports, such a a gym, ping-pong tables, squash, tennis, etc.
Tours : As there is not much around the resort, tours are offered, such as to Taketomi, but even for two people it would be cheaper to rent a car and do it yourself.
Alternatives : We also had a look at the ANA Intercontinental, the other 'large hotel' on the Island. This is located close to the town and airport and is much newer, also with Kids club and a much larger pool area, even with a slide. It also has an indoor pool which the Club Med lacks. Drawback is the beach, which is not nearly as nice as the Club Med's.
Last thoughts : We met people who have gone there regularly for the last 10 years, so it has its repeat value. But we felt a bit as outsiders, even after a week we still don't know what terms like "G.O." mean. Overall, it is a nice place for families and sport-lovers. However, the resort is a bit dated and is run with a young team that is motivated but sometimes seems unprofessional/unexperienced. For the price (even kids pay full) we would have expected more, not just a place which would otherwise maybe get three stars.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Tokyodude
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

Stayed here hoping for an "all-inclusive" package for my kids (3 and 6months). Come to find out lot of things are not "all-inclusive" here. First of all for kids under 4, they charge you about $50 / day extra for basically regular day-care. Kids 4 and above do more activities so I asked if my child who will turn 4 in a month if she can join the older kids. The answer was a plain, "no". Other things that are not part of the "all-inclusive" package are: many drinks at their bar, late check-out (they charge about $10 / hour), playing billiards at the bar ($3 / game)...
If paying extra for certain things was all, I wouldn't be as upset. But what I got for what I ended up paying (about $700 / night for 2 adults and my 3 year old and 6months old baby) was atrocious. I got the ocean view room which had a nice view of the beach, but that was it., The room was tiny, the doors were rusty, the bathroom and toilet was something seen in a business hotel in Tokyo. To top it off, we found lizards and an army of ants in the room. We realize that the hotel is in nature, but I don't like waking up to ants in my bed especially paying that much for the room.
My next complaint is with the staff at Club Med. Some of them were super nice and friendly, but others were pressing to be friendly for the sake of being friendly. Most of the staff barely spoke any Japanese even though the place is in Japan and most of the tourists are Japanese (my wife only speaks Japanese and she kept getting frustrated as her request were mishandled numerous times). At Club Med, all the food is buffet style only (no room service, no real place to get food outside of their breakfast, lunch and dinner times) and they make you sit with at least one member of their staff. This touch is nice for the first night or so, but I wanted to get dinner with just the family and not have to answer their question of, "where are you from?", "first time to this island?" for the 20th time. The staff overall isn't very flexible at all as well. I rented a car and when I got back one night, the parking lot was full. I went to the front desk and asked if I could park on the side near the entrance (I had a baby in the car so wanted to be close to the entrance). The person at the front desk just told me to use the "staff parking lot" which was a half a mile hike up a hill. Another day I wanted to take the family out on a drive so I asked if I could cancel one of the day for the day-care for my three year old. The staff told me yes, but I still had to pay the $50 since I couldn't cancel (this notice was a couple days in advance). At their beach you can rent snorkels and swim around but when I went to rent one, they just handed me one that was just returned from another person (they didn't even rinse or wash it in anything).
The final gripe for me is the overall value you get for what you pay for at this place. I already mentioned the room, but the buffet was disappointing as well. Some of the food was fine, but if you get to the buffet in the latter half, they run out of the food and don't replenish it. We went one day and I had to wait for plates, most of the food was gone and it took them 15 minutes to fix the drink machine as it ran out of syrup (yes the drinks are watered down kind that mixes syrup and water that you pour into a plastic cup).
At the Club Med other facilities they have table tennis (when we went all the balls were broken), mini basketball (the balls were flat all the time), a gym (I've seen city hotels with more weights), nightly entertainment (amateur skits performed by the staff) and the list goes on. They also have a strange system of getting towels as you have to give them a "towel card" to get a towel which is only available at the front desk. This is extremely inconvenient as even though the beach was close to our room, we had to walk a long way to the front desk to get a towel and go back to the beach. This place also has no elevators or escalators (this place claims to be kids friendly but I guess not baby car friendly). They also have numerous activities but many of them you have to sign-up for and you can't call-in but go to their "sports activity desk" which is open only for 30 minutes a day (I'm not kidding). You can imagine the line at this desk as all the people have to sign up for the upcoming day's activities in 30 minutes.
So for the overall quality you get for the atrocious price you end up paying, I can't recommend this place at all. The only pluses are that the beach is beautiful and they do provide baby beds which is nice, but that's about it. Also paying for everything in advance means that there's not much freedom (can't cancel things) and you feel like you can't go outside of club med (it's fairly out of the way from the center of town).

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Been to Club Med Kabira Beach? Share your experiences!