“A genuine, but rickety, ryokan” 4 of 5 stars

You added Kashima Honkan to your Saves list
Kashima Honkan
2.5 of 5
Ryokan
  |   3-11 Reisen-machi, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka 812-0039, Fukuoka Prefecture (Hakata Station)   |
Ranked #94 of 179 Hotels / Ryokan in Fukuoka
Manchester, UK
“A genuine, but rickety, ryokan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

A unique ryokan, very handy for the Gion subway stop. The ryokan itself is a rickety old place - a protected wooden building. As you walk around the place the floors creak but apart from that it is on a quiet street and you have the peaceful garden to look out on. The rooms all share communal sinks, showers and baths. The baths are the usual set up of showers with stools where you can give yourself a good clean before sinking into the clean waters for a good soak. We had the breakfast in the morning which was fine but not haute cuisine. The location of the place in the city is good, you are near the old temples (just a couple of minutes walk), very near the subway and in the evening you are just 5 minutes walk from the many restaurants and food stalls. All in all this is not a luxury stay but if you are looking for something unique, good value and well-located then stay here. We booked through the Welcome Inn website which was very straightforward - http://www.itcj.jp/eng/index.php.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Korean first
Munich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

We stayed there just for one night and we were sorry to leave at the next morning. It was very nice with very friendly and helpful staff. The rooms were as we've expected a traditional ryokan with traditional furniture in it. Sitting on the floor is also expected of any guest. Don't expect a western-style bed so you've to build your own futon on the tatami floor. On request you can choose japanese or western-style breakfast at reasonable prices. Tradition is one of the most features of this ryokan but you don't have to miss modern inventions like free internet in the 'lobby' and a TV in every room.

The location is quite good and not far away from the nearest subway station, rail station and city centre.

It's good value for the money you'll invest and the best choice for people coming for the first time to Japan.

• Stayed March 2009
Perth, Western Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

We had never stayed in a traditional Japanese inn before, so weren't really sure what to expect. What we got was a quaint old building (think heritage listed, 100+ years old) built around a lovely little japanese garden. Most of the rooms are on the first floor, while the kitchen, bathrooms and common areas are on the bottom floor (there are some toilets on the first floor). Also there are some large family rooms on the ground floor, which we saw some Japanese families using. This is the real deal; we were in the minority as Westerners - in fact, I think we saw only two other Westerners outside our group in the three days we were in Fukuoka.
It was a creaky old wooden building - certainly not to be compared to the flash hotels Japan has to offer. We had just come from a big fancy Tokyo hotel, so it was quite a shock. Though not a bad one.
Having said that, I would try this place not for comfort, but for the experience. The pillows are the traditional buckwheat kind, so are a bit hard to get used to. Also the futon mattresses are quite thin - but never fear, each room has a stash of them in a closet, so you can stack a few up. Our room did not have any chairs at all, just the futons and a couple of floor cushions around the table - we expected that, and it was okay because we're youngish. My parents, who were travelling with us (in thier 50s) got a room with a sitting area facing the garden (with chairs) so they were happy.
If you're not shy, bathing is in a communal area segregated by sex. If you are shy, there are two private shower booths (a bit small and mouldy smelling) for ladies only. Men just have to bathe together.

In terms of location, this place is really really close to canal city - which was a major attraction for us - some good shops and some really great places to eat. You must eat Fukuoka ramen! It's the best!

On our last night, a Japanese hockey team descended on the place and made noise all night - one con of a wooden building.
A benefit: free internet computers at front desk - very handy.

It was nice to try, and we did enjoy it - but we were happy to get back into a Western hotel with ensuite & all the mod cons afterwards.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

The location is perfect: close to the Railway st. and the Wooden Budda. Easy to get to the Canal City. The building looks very traditional and historical. When we were checking out, we decided to come back in a couple of days after visit to Beppu. There were also other guests who were so satisfied that they were trying to prolong their stay. Our room on the first floor had big window into a Japanese garden. The room was very spacious and warm. One has to sleep on futon, which might feel slightly too hard, but the sheets were very clean. It has probably been a while since the ryokan was renovated, but the staff does it's best to keep it clean and tidy. The toilet and washing sinks in the common space were good. Men's bath was a bit too old, while women's bath was rather new. There were also private showers available.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2008

I had booked this Ryokan in the early stage of our trip but I was so disappointed as it didn't reflect the true Japanese style. I don't think the owners were Japanese and this was reflected in the less than Japanese standard of levels of cleanliness and friendliness.
The place was shabby and needed a real good clean. The shared bathroom/shower room was really awful - chipped and broken soap holders and the sliding glass door was needing a real big scrub to get rid of the grey black scum!! The front staff were not at all friendly either - no real welcome and not even a goodbye thankyou!! This was on our first two days of our 14 day Shinkansen rail trip so after that we stayed in the Japanese Business hotels - the Toyoko Inns.

• Liked — The location.
  • Disliked — Not friendly & not clean.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2008

I arrived in Hakata/Fukuoka by ferry from Korea and immediately felt at home at the ryokan.

It is easy to find, only a 5 minute or so walk from Hakata station, but on a quiet back street. The location is excellent as it is only a short walk from temples, shops and restaurants (& should you wish to visit them - Pachinko Parlours)

The builsding is quite old fashioned - it has a bit of faded grandeur about it, but the staff are friendly, the rooms are very comfortable and the communal bathing facilities are a revelation - it was great after a day sightseeing to have a shower and then soak in a very hot communal bath.

I really enjoyed Fukuoka/Hakata and I think that the ryokan played a big part of that. It is in an ideal location, in a quiet part of town but everywhere is easily accessible by foot.

If I do go back to Fukuoka (& I hope that I do) then I will definitely return to this ryokan

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing..............
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Oklahoma, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2008

ATMOSPHERE: The building is registered as ' Tangible Cultural Property' by the Japanese government. My window showed a beautiful Japanese garden, separate from the main garden visible from the hallway. There are some visible cracks, etc., as is expected with an older building. I think it was a nice balance of Traditional Ryokan, with modern conveniences, and enough informality to be welcoming and relaxed.

ROOM: Rooms have a semi-enclosed entryway of smooth stones and wood. My single private room, was VERY large, with full tatami-mat floors, electric kotatsu table, altar space, and immense windows with paper sliding screens. I was very impressed. It also had refrigerator, tv, telephone, full-length mirror, closet with hangers, clothes drying rack, cordless hot water pitcher, green tea, yukata, and towels. There is thermostat control in addition to the kotatsu table. I did need the kotatsu table's warmth sometimes, but I never altered the thermostat's preset, which you could. With kotatsu, I was very comfortable-- in Dec.-- even though I get cold easily. You should have no problem. The futon was very comfortable to sleep on as well.

FACILITIES: Free internet access, 2 computers, wi-fi, and a printer. Be sure to learn how to switch computer language options, as it is easy to change accidentally on Japanese keyboards. Free coffee and tea. After checkout, I was allowed to use the lobby, computers, and store my luggage until departing the city.

STAFF: The staff I saw most does not speak much English, but was still able to help me find a money-changing bank, switch the language on the computers, and even track down the phone number of a friend in Kyoto from her name and address! That one took some time, and was far more than I expected. They were always friendly and warm.

VALUE: Single private room- $40 most days, $56 on Saturday. 2 person twin room- $72 on a weekday, or $102 on Sat. (As of Jan 2008) -- Rates may be higher in peak seasons! I do not know. DOES accept credit cards - many places in Japan don't.

This is my favorite place of any place I have ever stayed. It is too bad I don't have more reasons to visit Fukuoka.

• Liked — the Atmosphere
  • Disliked — I was really happy... but a microwave wouldn't hurt (unless there's already one in the lobby, I forget)
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Kashima Honkan? Share your experiences!