“Very nice youth hostel experience!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Khaosan Fukuoka

You added Khaosan Fukuoka to your Saves list
Khaosan Fukuoka
2.5 of 5 Hostel   |   11-34 Hiemachi, Hakataku, Fukuoka 812-0014, Fukuoka Prefecture (Hakata Station)   |
Ranked #12 of 23 Specialty lodging in Fukuoka
Torrance, California
“Very nice youth hostel experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

This was my first stay at a youth hostel and was quite enjoyable. It was very active and lots of people from all walks of life and places. I only stayed here for one night but I found the accomodations to be very nice. There are places to eat nearby, very close to Hakata station, and the common room is a cool little hangout to meet new people.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Thai first
Lennoxville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

*A little note before I start, I was quite surprised by the the low rating of this hostel. First of all, this is NOT a Ritz Carlton, or a Hilton, this is a HOSTEL. Don't expect a beautiful seaside view, because this is in a narrow road of one of the main drives. So please don't complain if you get a window that faces another building. Don't expect spacious rooms and mini bars, this is a HOSTEL. The name says it all. These places are economical, but also convenient lodging areas for the traveling type person.

We stayed here for three nights after we first arrived in Japan. It's about a 10 minute walk from the closest subway station. We reserved a private double room. The room was slightly small and had bunk beds, but as long as your aren't claustrophobic, you shouldn't have any issue.

The receptionist that greeted us was very kind, and able to speak English quite well.

In the scorching 30+ degree temperature, the room's small size benefited us as the air conditioner would cool down the room in less than a couple minutes. The hostel was quite quiet, and this allowed us to have a good night's sleep for the time we stayed here.

The facilities were top notch. Bedroom, hallways, bathroom and showers were all very clean. Also, shampoo and body wash is included in the showers!

Don't know where to eat, or what's around? The hostel can give you a well devised map highlighting several restaurants, convenience stores and subways stations in the area. they even give you an estimate of the cost of each restaurant and what they serve. Free wifi is a definite bonus as it helped me stay in touch with the family (as I had just arrived in Japan).

Overall, it's probably the best hostel I have stayed at so far. I highly recommend it to any fellow traveler.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Beppu, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

i went in this hostel with my friends for a funny and cheap trip. this place was perfect! first thing: is clean. is very close to Hakata station so is comfortable. i loved the bed. in the shower there are shampoo and soap for free. the toilet is ok and the people that are working there are lovely and gentle! there is a kitchen too where you can find everything and hot tea for free. there is wifi and if you need computer for free.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Powys, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Before I give my review, I want to say I am surprised at other tripadvisor members leaving not so favourable reviews. I believe when you read other people's reviews, good or bad, you have to also weigh up their comments with their expectations (if any) they had before arriving at the place. Of course, this is not always possible if the reviewer does not mention what they expected prior to their arrival.

So to start off, I am going to reveal what my expectations were, followed my critical review in detail. You will be guessing that my review will be positive, and I am also typing this while I am staying here. It is only my second day here (staying for three nights for a visa run) but some things have really impressed me; this puts Khaosan Fukuoka in my list of one the top hostels I have ever stayed in.

The Expectation:

So, what did I expect? The simple answer is not a lot. It is a hostel after all. I wanted somewhere fairly comfortable to stay, to get a hot shower in the morning, to be able to cook some food, and maybe meet some fellow travellers along the way. But, I was not expecting luxury by any means. I usually travel on a budget so hostels are usually ideal for that. So, of course I was not expecting to be staying at "The Ritz" or "The Hilton"

So here we go with the review. Bear in mind, at the time of this review, I have stayed here only 24 hours so far. Take it how you will.

The Booking/Arrival:

After booking my stay at a reputable website, I was sent an email from Khaosan Fukuoka thanking me for booking with them. They also attached detailed information as to how to get to the hostel from Hakata Station. I found this to be very helpful. You can be lazy and take a bus or taxi to the hostel, but if you are on a budget and don't mind a short walk of around 15 mins, it is totally worth the exercise!

Check-in:
I arrived at the hostel to be greeted by very friendly and happy receptionist. The check in was very fast. They took a photocopy of my passport and money for my stay. She also gave me a good run through of where things are in the hostel. They have heaps of tourist information at the front desk as well as things to buy/rent such as towels power adaptors. There are also indoor slippers provided for you to borrow free of charge. Other facilities in reception area a drinks vending machine, and also the male showers.

The room:
Now obviously I can not speak for every room in the building. But I can comment of the room I am staying in. I am in room 208. It is a four bed dorm room with with bunk beds.

The bed/bedding:
This needed a section of its own because this is most definitely one of the most comfortable beds I have ever stayed in any hotel, let alone a hostel! Each bed has a personal lamp for late night reading/texting. The mattresses and pillows contain a memory foam like material so are really nice and comfy. I think I have had the best night's sleep in ages here! The blankets are also of very good quality. They are most certainly not thin and cheap like you would find in many other hostels. I imagine the rooms would be so lovely and warm in the winter. My room also came with a free access locker. I am sure all rooms have the same facility. My room is very clean and comfortable; there is no gripe I have with it at all.

The toilet/shower facilities:
There is a toilet on every floor. There are three floors to the building, not including the rooftop. There are also sinks people can use outside their rooms for things like brushing teeth or drying hair. One thing I love to have when I stay anywhere is a good quality shower. The showers in the hostel are AMAZING! I used one of them for the first time this morning and was delighted by such awesome pressure. They also supply free shower gel and shampoo in each shower. I thought this was yet another great added touch to the personal service this hostel offers.

The kitchen/dining/living area:
On the third floor, you will find a fully equipped kitchen/dining area for all to use. This includes a hob/stove microwave/oven, rice cooker and kettle. The kitchen is also supplied with an ample amount of crockery and cutlery for anyone to use. The polite signage "Thanking" guests for tidying up after themselves is a nice friendly way to encourage all to be clean - and it seems to work!
The other end of the dining area, you will find free access to computers with internet. Otherwise, there is free wifi throughout the hostel, should you bring any wifi enabled device. Outside on the balcony, there are washing machines priced at 200 yen.

The living room area, where I am relaxing in right now, has a very comfy sofa, tables, floor chairs, a huge TV to watch dvd's, books and access to the wifi. It feels really homely in here and I bet many memories have already been made!

Overall review:
I am so far very impressed with everything about this hostel. I personally have no negative reviews to give as of yet. I guess from the previous comments, this could vary on where your room is located. But for me, definitely within my top five favourite hostels I have ever stayed in. And that has been many! ^^

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

My wife & I stayed at the International Hostel Khaosan for 4 nights during October 2013. It is situated in a quiet location approximately 15 minutes walk from Hakata railway station. The hostel is clean with friendly & helpful staff.There is a well equipped kitchen with free tea/coffee. The spacious & comfortable sitting room has a TV & computers with internet access.There is free wifi. There are several supermarkets close-by. I would recommend this hostel.It represents good value for money.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Busan, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

It's about 15 minutes from Hakata Station on foot. Everyone was very friendly, providing information and booking a brewery tour at the nearby Asahi factory for me. It's a hostel so don't expect too much but it was as good as I could have hoped; clean, well-run, and friendly.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Girona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

It is 15 min walking from Hakata Station. No subway station close but a bus stop very close. Many convinience stores close.

A bit hard to find without a map but it's very cheap and the environment is very good. Met many nice travelers there.

Also, free Wifi and Internet service. I'd come again, totally recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Khaosan Fukuoka? Share your experiences!