“Lovely hotel, lovely service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kanku Onsen Hotel Garden Palace

You added Kanku Onsen Hotel Garden Palace to your Saves list
Kanku Onsen Hotel Garden Palace
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1-3-51 Nakamachi, Izumisano, Osaka Prefecture 598-0013, Japan (Kanku Onsen)   |
Beijing, China
“Lovely hotel, lovely service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We arrived in to Kansai Airport at 8.30pm and so headed straight to this hotel which is fairly close to the airport.
There is a complimentary pick-up service - it leaves I think every hour, at 45 past the hour - the actual info's on the hotel website - and I called before we flew to let them know that we'd be taking it.
On arrival at the airport, having taken forever to get through immigration (the only time that Japan was anything but completely efficient), we were racing to get to the 9.45pm bus. We called the hotel and they asked the bus driver to hang around for a few minutes, which was very sweet of them to do.
The hotel itself is rather old, a little faded, but very comfortable. It's got all the quirks you come to expect in Japan - a fax in the room, spray to make everything (clothes, room) smell nice, foot massager, toilet-with-lots-of-buttons-to-clean-places-you-didn't-realise-needed-cleaning.
Best of all, for me, was the hotel onsen - a hot bath on site. Separate men's and women's natch. It was just what I needed after the flight. I think it stays open until 11 and is open again very early in the morning.
About 5-10 minutes walk away are various restaurants and convenience stores, which is quite handy.
The next morning, we were given a lift to the local train station, where we picked up a train to Osaka (having spent a good hour browsing through the 100yen shop underneath the station).
In retrospect, now I realise how easy it is to travel in Japan, I'd probably skip this stage of staying at an airport hotel and head straight onto my destination.
However, this is not because the hotel was in any way lacking. But it's just so easy to jump on a train and go where you need to go within a short period of time.
If you do need to be close to the airport, I have nothing but good things to say about this place.
I booked on Expedia, it was around US$125 per night, per room, from recall...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Turkish first
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I gave this hotel an excellent rating because of the value which it provided for the cost. The room was small, yet it had a very comfortable bed, and it was very clean. The spa in the hotel had a japanese bath (onsen), as well as regular spa features such as massage. It also had two massage chairs and a wonderful foot massage device. There were plenty of drinks and other ammenities available. The food in the restaurant was good, but very expensive as compared to the price of the hotel. The internet was good quality.

I overslept and missed the last shuttle to the airport, but they kindly drove me to the large train station instead. They also give you a Japanese robe and slippers to wear, and most of the guests can be seen wearing the robe throughout the hotel and in the restaurant. For someone visiting Japan for the first time, that was really fun to see, and made me feel right at home.

The front desk check-in experience was the best I have literally ever experienced. I walked in and gave them my ID, they handed me a card to sign which already had my reservation details, and then handed me the key. It literally took about 30 seconds - amazing. The shuttle arrives at the KIX airport on the 45 minute of the hour (I don't think it runs 24 hours, however, so check first). The restaurant folks spoke a little English, but were very accomodating.

Overall, I loved my stay here - this is my favorite hotel in Japan so far, in terms of overall value and quality. Close to the airport and close to a big train station. Very kind and accomodating staff.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

My flight into KIX landed at 9.10PM and I wanted to stay a night and meet up with friends around Izumisano the next day before heading off to Kyoto and Osaka. Chose this hotel because it actually had an onsen bath and was cheap enough even for solo travellers. Unfortunately I had booked for the next night by accident, and was left waiting for the shuttle bus that never came to the airport, until I called the number at the bus stop and they were nice enough to send the shuttle down for me even though it was just for one person (which they didn't even have on file as having booked a room) and it was long past their scheduled shuttle bus slot. I was very touched since it was really me who screwed up.

The shuttle took only a short while and pulled into a rather quaint hotel in a nice neighbourhood in Izumisano. The room was small, but this is normal for the price range, the ensuite bathroom was small but I didn't really need it because I was aiming for the onsen bath, which was lovely. They even had a little fridge of very-nostalgic milk in glass bottles, which I bought because cold milk after a long bath is always good. The staff were all very understanding and nice, and even though I was a solo female foreigner I felt very safe.

The next day I ventured out for breakfast on my own, but at the timing I was aiming for, only MacDonalds along the main road was open, but MacDonalds breakfasts in other countries are always an adventure. Check-out was a breeze, and they got me on the earlier shuttle bus towards the airport with no fuss, even though I asked to be dropped off at Rinku Premium Outlets instead (it was closer to Rinku Town train station which was where I was headed).

Generally, my experience was pretty good. I usually look for interesting non-business hotels to stay in when I'm in Japan, even better if they have an onsen bath, and this hotel did it all, with a low price, clean room and clean sheets, free internet (via LAN cable), ensuite toilet and bath, and nice and understanding staff. There really isn't much choice when it comes to airport hotels near KIX (I would know, I'm looking at the choices again for an upcoming March trip with the same flight timing) and Kanku Onsen is a pretty good choice if you like onsen baths, at least it's something different from other more soulless western airport hotels!

Point to note: I can speak Japanese relatively fluently, so communication with the staff was in Japanese, I didn't get to test their command of the English language, but there were some Chinese-speaking guests checking out before me and they seemed to be able to handle them in English.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Been to Kanku Onsen Hotel Garden Palace? Share your experiences!