“my trip was perfect that because here is very nice!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Naramachi

You added Naramachi to your Saves list
Naramachi
2.0 of 5 Japanese Guest House   |   30 Kitakyobatecho, Nara 630-8322, Nara Prefecture   |
Ranked #7 of 19 Specialty lodging in Nara
khajuraho
“my trip was perfect that because here is very nice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

i stayed with my frieds. we had great time in there. it was amazing and makes me happy that "Yo a so be-Card" You'll know how amazing place if you are in there.
owner are very nice! room also nice, comfortable and very clean.
definitely i can recommend this Guest house!

• Stayed July 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed in this guesthouse for 2 nights at the end of our trip in Japan. The hosts were incredibly friendly and helpful making you feel right at home. Location was great, only 5 mins bus ride from the station and the deer park an easy walk. The area was quiet and we had a great time. Would love to come back.

The beds were futons on the floor like all other traditional accom but soft mattresses and soft pillows. Lovely.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Lovely place to stay with a very homey feel. We stayed in the Japanese style private room which was VERY comfortable and nice and warm. The hosts were very welcoming and recommended to us a fantastic local okonomiyaki place where we had a generous feed for 400 yen. They even ordered for us so that our meals were cooking by the time we arrived! They also organised a local volunteer tour guide for us who was great company and full of useful knowledge. We had a lovely time in Nara and enjoyed experiencing the Wakakusayama festival too. Highly recommend this hostel, especially if you are keen to try a more traditional and homely Japanese experience at a great price.

Room Tip: Try the traditional Japanese rooms out - very comfortable!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
recompose
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My only regret with staying with this guesthouse is that I only stayed for 1 night.

Shunju & Kumiko is a husband & wife team that owns and runs this guesthouse. They are both incredibly friendly. My experience was nothing short of ahhh-mazing. There are only two private rooms here - "A", the larger of the two and "B". I booked the B room for 3 people at 3,000 yen each per night - unbelievably good price in my opinion. What made it even better was that we got upgraded to room A at no extra cost since the guesthouse was at low occupancy during the dead of Winter. Room A is as good of a room as I have experienced in ryokans costing 5 times the price. Shunju (who speaks more English than his wife) is actually a really, really funny guy. However, he manages to be funny while he carries this air of humbleness and stillness surrounding him. I think the world of this man. He is cool by my book, if that means anything.

The guesthouse is situated in an refurbished/remodeled house, apparently over 100 years old. Formally a calligraphy school, it has been painstakingly preserved. As advertised on their website, they are within 5 minute walk of JR Kyobate station (even with an overly large and overly packed backpack), which is only one stop away from JR Nara station. From the guesthouse you can be on foot and easily reach all the must-see sites of Nara. The atmosphere in the guesthouse is superbly quintessential Japanese. I love every square inch of it. Did I mention the whole place was spotless, clean and well kept?

I do not mean to boast here for a moment. However, I am the kind of girl who is used to a rather yuppie lifestyle. I have stayed in many upscale, grand hotels. Most recently just prior to my Japan trip I spend a long weekend at the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas. For those who are unaware, the Cosmopolitan is the newest and the best hotel in Vegas and currently houses the hottest nightclub in town. At the time I genuinely thought that was my kind of scene, albeit the superficiality of it all. I am going to tell you right now, NOTHING beats the personal touch, the service, the overall experience and the profound happiness that I received while staying here at the Guesthouse Naramachi - despite the literal few hours I spent here.

Many would say Nara is a day trip from Kyoto. It's not. You can spend a week in Kyoto and not see it all. And you would most definitely more than a day in Nara to see all of Nara. Do yourself a favor and stay here. You will be a happier person for it.

Room Tip: If you are not by yourself, invest in Room A or B, totally worth it. Quote me on that.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The hostel is absolutely amazing. It is clean, in a nice neighborhood, reasonably priced. The owners live there and are always willing to help and answer questions. The beds have curtains giving you some sort of privacy in the dorm rooms.
The hostel only has one shower, but I didnt have any problems using it. So, I cant complain about it. For those looking for a quiet nice and clean place to stay, this is it. But for those looking for a place to get wasted, be loud and party all night, this hostel is probably not a good fit for you.

The place actually feels like a bed and breakfast or a homestay, but with hostel prices. So, overall to me this is a wonderful place to stay in Nara.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Toulouse, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stayed 3 nights there. First of all the house is great. You get a real Japanese experience by staying at Naramachi. It is like being at home and have the chance to see how people live.
They speak a very good English, which is a blessing in Japan! They are very helpful and will help you to make the best out of Nara. Bikes are available to rent, very convenient when you want to get around for several days.
I stayed in the women dorm (4 beds). The bed was very comfortable and the room was very good organised. Each bed has its own curtains so you will not be bother by the light if you have different schedule with the other guests. Air co, plugs, and nice sheets to sleep like a baby! Of course it is a typical Japanese house so the walls are slim, however there is a lot of respect from all the guests so it makes it very livable.
The common room is well decorated and they keep it fresh. At this time of the year it is pretty warm in Japan. Many maps and other flyers will be provided to you. I never been so much and well helped in a guesthouse.
Nara is a beautiful quiet city. It is good to see some green, trees and very easy to find your way around. There is a lot to see so do not hesitate to spend the appropriate time.
As usual in Japan there are a lot of good places for food. And there are about 5 bath places at a walking distance from the guesthouse.
They have all the facilities like fridge, micro wave, hot/cold water, tea, coffee, bathroom products etc..
You can rent a towel from them if needed.
So yes I recommend it and well if I get to go again in Nara, I will definitely stay there!

Room Tip: I believe all rooms are nice, then it depends on your budget.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Linz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Last summer I spent 3 nights in the guesthouse Naramachi. It is a very personal guesthouse, with extremly nice owners. Sometimes you get the possibility to also join local music arrangement or other cultural events.
The place itself is very clean and comfortable. I was staying the the mixed dorm (I had a bed with curtain not to be disturbed by others). There are also two private rooms to rent.
In a big shared living room you also have the possibility to exchange with others in a relaxed atmosphere.

I can recommend this guesthouse to everyone who want to stay in a place with a personal note.
I had the feeling that the owners run the buisness with joy and love.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Naramachi? Share your experiences!