“Peace, some culture, many regional gems, including nice countryside people.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nikko National Park

Nikko National Park Day Trip from Tokyo
Ranked #2 of 102 things to do in Nikko
Sudbury, Canada
63 attraction reviews
“Peace, some culture, many regional gems, including nice countryside people.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Would have stayed longer than the 2 days I'v been.
Went bec.of Autumn Nikko Festival, was far from disappointed. Then, discovered the park, some local art shops, and the nice local people, with musical accent. Very pleasant and helpful.
To travel here is time-consuming, complicated transportation. Once you get there, if you enjoy nature and genuine people, it is worthwhile to stay at least 2 days. I could stay 4 days, because of very pleasant walks in very well maintained pedestrian roads by lake side or forest. At least two splendid waterfalls. Excellent hiking possible. The region is quite an extensive territory in the mountain, with numerous small villages higher than the main Nikko village, higher up in the mountain. My hotel was 45 minutes higher than Nikko, by car. My guide and I really enjoyed the walks. To take some breaks, we repeatedly stopped at onsen hostels (hotsprings hotels) that are numerous along the roads. We raved on the fabulous shops each of them had, each with different products. Some local original products, not found elsewhere in Japan. My guide herself bought gifts for her people in Tokyo, bec. what she was finding here was unique.
Take a look at the pictures on this site of Trip Advisor.
As a Canadian, if told of the natural bounty of Nikko, before I visited it, I still would've thought: ''yes, but you are used to all this, as a Canadian''.
It turned out that I thouroughly enjoyed it, and would have stayed longer. Brought a sense of peace, harmony.
The musical accent of the locals: I hope I will never forget. And they were very nice.
Enjoyed my stay at Okunikko onsen (see my profile).

Visited October 2012

• Thai first
Hong Kong
“Nikko National Park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Went there for a day w/ my hubby's best friend as our tour guide. Was very enjoyable, friend was driving the car for us and while ascending to the top of the mountain, you can watch the monkey's playing around the highway. We had a lunch near the lake, and the most we enjoyed was the onsen or the Japanese hot spring spa. Couples like us could enjoy together the hot spring although most in Japan women and men are always separated but because our friend can speak Nihonngo he requested the receptionist for us to be together w/ our baby. We went to a great big falls near the ledge of the mountain, oh that was so amazing view although we get a little bit wet. We will definitely want to come back and visit Japan again, there are so many amazing places out there :))

Visited September 2011
Seattle, Washington
“Bring extra time with you”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

I am staying in Tokyo on business, had a day off and headed for Nikko.

I had a guidebook for Japan with some about Nikko but not a lot, I don't speak Japanese.

Anyway it is October 25 and I got a late start from my hotel near Shinjuku, got lost in Asakusa since the arrival train station isn't connected to the Tobu line. Anyway, finally got on way to Nikko and arrived about 2pm. The shrines stop admitting at 4pm and close at 5pm, so I knew I could see a couple of them without rushing, grab dinner and get back to Tokyo at a decent hour.

That was the plan.

The shuttle bus that went to the shrines was out of service due to "traffic jam" and they put me on another bus with vague instructions about where to get off to get close to where I wanted to go (make sure you get a detailed map of Nikko). I ended up heading into the hills towards the lake (I forget name) and once headed that way at least 4 things were put into motion: there was no way i was going to see the shrines, the bus took over 2 hours in a traffic jam heading up the hairpin turns i think a total of 15km!!! and it was pitch black on arrival, my tourpass didn't cover the ride to the lake so i had to shell out another $20 or so, and the train back to Tokyo stopped at every milk station and it took me 4 hours to get from Nikko to Shinjuku. Not fun.

Nikko looked interesting and I would like to go back someday, but combo of my poor planning, time available, not knowing it would be crammed with people, and generally unintelligible signage, etc. made it a day I will never get back in my life. Plan to stay overnight and/or day tour from Tokyo by leaving uber-early like 7am or so from Asakusa