“Genuine Japan Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tonosawa Ichinoyu Honkan

Save Saved
You added Tonosawa Ichinoyu Honkan to your Saves list
Tonosawa Ichinoyu Honkan
90 Tonosawa, Hakone-machi, Ashigarashimo-gun, Kanagawa Prefecture 250-0315, Japan (Tounosawa Onsen)   |
Ranked #15 of 165 Hakone-machi B&B and Inns
Malaysia
“Genuine Japan Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I spend the most time in this hotel than any other in other hotel and have the sweetest sleep of all during my Japan visit, I never know sleeping tatami on futon can be so comfortable.

This hotel, or more accurately B&B is the most expensive of all I stay, but if we taken the room space, the onsen and the dinner and breakfast into the rate, is definitely worth every single yet I pay for.

Getting to the hotel is very easy, either you take the hakone bus , stop at kami-tonousawa (100 feet away) or you can pay 100yen per person using the onsen bus, it will drop you at the door step.

Our room is really, really spacious, it even got it own chit chat area with private bath, private toilet, most important of all, own very own onsen :)

The only thing make me little fussy is that the restaurant is actually on 4th floor, so for dinner and breakfast I have to climb 4 floor all the way up, but the food is so good and full, I forgotten about the climbing as soon as I ate them

The dinner is really a feast by all my Japan meal standard.. i love it and enjoy it so much..

It very relaxing and enjoyable... definitely will return to this B&B.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

144 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Oxford, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Hakone was recommended to me by a friend and I'm pleased I stopped off here for a couple of days when travelling between Kyoto and Tokyo. As I was coming to the area, I wanted to experience a traditional ryokan but without the massive costs associated with some of the boutique places. This place worked out well and I really enjoyed it.

The hotel is a couple of km from the nearest town but close to 5 mins walk from the train station and with bus stops right outside. You can easily get everywhere in the Hakone national park area without any hassle (Hakone Free Pass well worth it).

The hotel is an onsen hotel with separate men's and women's hot baths. It's an interesting experience but probably not for people who don't like public nakedness! Soaking in the hot bath after a day of exploring the national park is extremely relaxing though and definitely recommended.

I booked dinner here on one night and I'm really glad I did as it was an excellent traditional Japanese multi-dish feast. All really tasty and fresh although largely unidentifiable. The Japanese breakfast was really good too.

The room was a traditional tatami mat and futon affair, which overlooked the rapids of the river out back. A very relaxing experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Winnipeg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

First off, if you are planning a trip to Japan and are wondering if it's worth it to go to Hakone, do yourself a favour and GO! It is breathtaking!
My wife and I decided to take the romance car one way on the way to Hakone from Tokyo, and it was the right choice. Very nice comfortable train ride.
Once we arrived in Hakone, we transfered to the cable car which drops you off only a few meters away from this ryokan.
As for the Ryokan itself, it was somewhat dissapointing.
However, we spent 270.00 dollars Canadian for a one night stay (booked directly off their websote) and it included dinner and breakfast. This was a pretty good deal, but in retrospect I wish I would have spent more and went some place else. This may have been our one and only chance to go to Japan, and I regret not spending another 100.00 to stay somewhere really memorable.
But, this place isn't terrible. Just a little shaby.
The guy who checed us in spoke PERFECT English. Better than some people speak it back home. So that was nice. He was also friendly and informative. He gave us some welcomed info on where to go around Hakone. After explaining the rules of the Ryokan to us, we zipped off to our room.
The room was very big, but again pretty warn out. No toilet in the room either, just a sink. The windows didn't open properly and the floor was a little tattered. It didn't really bother us, but I guess because we had built up the Ryokan experience so much in our minds, we couldn't help but feel let down.
The public spa area of the Ryokan was actually rather nice. It's indoors which was a bummer, but it was still enjoyable. No bathing suits, and the men are with the men and women with the women. There are strict rules to follow as well, so you would be wise to educate yourself before going in.
Don`t bother with the private experience. It was pretty scummy and gross.
The food here was authentic Japanese. It was tasty. No complaints, but not overly impressed either.
To summarize, if you want a cheap Ryokan experience book here. It`s decent but that`s about it.
But I would advise to spend more if it`s in your budget and stay somewhere as beautiful and memorable as Hakone herself.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We used this hotel as a rest stop from Tokyo to Kyoto. We had spent the morning on the boat/cable car Hakone circuit for views of Mt Fuji and the lakes.
Travelling by local bus to the hotel in the evening was abit stressful as the hotel had an early check-in curfew (6pm) and we experienced very heavy traffic. So those coming via road should allow sufficient time.
Check-in was quick, your shoes are put in lockers and you are provided with slippers. Instantly felt relaxed. Experience was further enhanced by robes provided in the room – we wore ours (incorrectly) to dinner as we only discovered the instructions later. But it was fun.
Our room was a good size with a private tub in the garden. Having a private tub is great if you are not used to the traditional Japanese baths. The water was spring fed and was a constant warm temperature. It refilled itself constantly and was very clean. Such a great setting with the rushing stream in the background, which also ensured privacy.
The rest of the room was sparse and we slept on futons which we rolled out ourselves. It was so comfortable and was the best sleep that I had in my 1 week trip. Maybe that was due to a combination of the relaxing bath and the comfy futons. I believe that other ryokan prepare your beds for you and that you get dinner served in your room. However, for us, we thought that having our own tub was a good trade-off.
If I could suggest one area of improvement, that would be the food. They served a Kaiseki style menu and traditional breakfast. You can check this out on their website so you know what to expect. For a hotel of their size I thought maybe abit more choice could have been available. For example, breakfast was fish and rice with a few sides. Husband does not eat fish so settled on hungrily nibbling his satellite dishes (and mine!). Off course you could choose not to dine here and go out instead, but when we stay at a spa for some r&r, we don’t generally want to tramp around town.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

real old ryokan
sleep on futon on the floor
by the river, in a small old village in the mountains

Tounosawa train station upper in the mountain (3 mn from Hakone Yumoto train station), 5 mn walk by a little way under the trees. Otherwise the bus stops 1 mn away from the hotel. Shuttle from the hotel to the Hakone Yumoto train station (5 mn away).

very nice dinner and breakfast, several course meal.
bath: very beautiful, in stones, by the river. For prude people you can book a 30-mn private bath, in marble.

internet room, library.

Room Tip: traditional room to try the futon (but very hard). rooms with private stone bath on the balcony (bu...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Being a US born Japanese-American, I've become accustomed to western hotels and travel, but also have heard my mother, aunts and grandmother talk about the "onsen" (public bath) and sleeping on tatami mats. . . . . Needless to say, it was a very unique experience, between the onsen, sleeping on the floor and traditional Japanese breakfast. . . it definitely added to the cultural understanding of my family heritage.

The hotel was older, but the views overlooking the water and the sound of the rushing stream was so relaxing at night. I still like the comforts of western travel, but definitely a neat experience for a night or two !!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

This is pretty much the cheapest traditional hotel you will find in the Hakone area. Its a very old building nestled in a picturesque valley.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay, it was an interesting experience!

Pros:

Lovely large tatami room
Fantastic public onsen
Historic building
Nice futons
Air conditioning/reverse cycle/heatpump in room
New TV in the room
Super convenient for sightseeing
We had a beautiful outdoor private rock bath

Cons

The bathroom was not so clean, after visiting the public baths, I think the staff assume you will not be using your private bathroom.

The toilet was the smallest I've ever seen, about 1 yard square.

No WiFi, and the emobile pocket WiFi had no signal

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tonosawa Ichinoyu Honkan? Share your experiences!