“Very Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Palace Hotel Hakone

You added Palace Hotel Hakone to your Saves list
Palace Hotel Hakone
3.0 of 5 Onsen Hotel   |   1245 Sengokuhara, Ashigarashimo-gun, Hakone-machi 250-0631, Kanagawa Prefecture (Sengokuhara Onsen)   |
3.5 of 5 stars 137 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
“Very Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

My wife and I have just stayed 2 nights at this hotel. The room on level 5 was roomy and comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. But the prices we had to pay for the food were outrageous. For example a small bowl of fruit for breakfast was 1600 yen. Orange juice 1000 yen, coffee 800 yen. There is no breakfast buffet. You are forced to order al a carte. 50000 yen for 2 for breakfast is too much to pay. As the hotel is not in any town, you are effectively forced to eat in the hotel in the evening. As the buses stop at 8.30pm, a taxi would be the only option to get home if you dined elsewhere. So, although the hotel ticked the right boxes regarding the room and staff, we felt we were ripped off with the food pricing and hence we left with a desire to write a review like this.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Cleethorpes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

This hotel is set in a wonderful location with views of Mt Fuji.However it is in an isolated spot and local shops/restaurants are not in walking distance,but there is a bus service that goes into local town.The hotel externally appears rather dated and run down.Room large and comfortable but bathroom cleanliness was a little lacking.Breakfast not a buffet but adequate.Dinner menu average but prices exhorbitant,We were charged over £40 for two main courses of average food and two drinks,Not many in restaurant as many had purchased food earlier in the day having read reviews.Far more staff in the restaurant than necessary,but all were helpful and attentive.I cannot understand why this small hotel is trying to suggest a gourmet level restaurant,which it certainly it is not.I suggest they serve a simple type cafe style menu of local and western style food at realistic prices,then most guests would probably eat there.My partner viewed the Onsens and felt them rather small and uninviting so we did not partake.

Room Tip: Rooms at front of hotel have best view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

We stayed 2 nights. The location is awesome. We had room on the top floor no. 534. This room offers view of Mt Fuji. The room is really large and very well furnished, beautiful wall paper, adequate storage space, 2 large windows overlooking the gold course and Mt Fuji, table and chairs, wardrobe, large bathroom with a bathtub, plenty of drawers, Yukata. Service is prompt and good. Staff speak English well. There is a small shop that sells some souvenirs.
The hotel has great Onsen facilities. There is an indoor and outdoor Onsen with sauna. Well kept and rejuvenating.
I would recommend this hotel. It's very close from Togendai (on the edge of Lake Ashi). Its About 50 minutes bus ride from Odawara station.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Location: was very out of the way but you can to see Mount Fuji from the hotel car park... The hotel can easily be accessed by bus though. However pls note that there are no other eateries or supermart nearby unless you take the bus further down... Only place to have your meals is the restaurants in the hotel which are pretty expensive, but we did not have much choice anyway.

Service: friendly, helpful and efficient...

Room: spacious and clean. Feel some sort of eeriness though as we heard some sound in the room.

Onsen: it's 24 hours, authentic... Love it...

Given the price we paid, I think you can get a better hotel with views of mt Fuji and onset in a good location...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Fairfax, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Yes, I agree -- This is not meant to be a restaurant review. Why am I opening up my review with this melodramatic comment about their restaurants, you ask? Ah, yes, that'd be because the hotel location is such that you cannot, I repeat, CANNOT walk to anywhere to eat other than at one of the three hotel restaurants on site. This is especially a problem when the weather does not cooperate with your plans and it wouldn't be advisable to drive out on the treacherously winding and narrow road in snow/dense fog/rain, you name it. Even on a good day, you don't want to drive out 15-20 minutes just to get your breakfast only to turn around and get back to the hotel to get ready for the day ahead. They charge you anywhere from $20 to upwards of $100 for utterly uninspiring food. (My club sandwich, which was not even a true club sandwich, cost me close to $20 and it was one of the cheapest food I could find on the menu offer by its only western restaurant) The Japanese restaurant on-site on the first floor didn't even offer a la carte items, and would have cost me about $60 per person to eat from their course menu, the price of which would go up to over $100 per person. Completely in the state of sticker shock, I didn't even bother to inquire about a second, "more elegant" Japanese restaurant located on the second floor. By the way, all of the three different dishes my family ordered from the western restaurant were nothing but disappointment. I have had worse food elsewhere, of course. WIth that kind of price tag, one could certainly expect more in terms of food quality and presentation.

As far as the hotel rooms are concerned, I largely agree with previous reviewers. The rooms are surprisingly spacious by Japanese standard, and attentiveness of the staff was somewhat on par with the average level of courtesy one can expect from usual Japanese commercial outfits. There is certainly room for improvement in the area of cleanliness, however. Our room smelled odd and the carpet was quite stained. The worst of it all was the onsen itself. The water was visibly cloudy with "human pollution" and as I am staring at the pool in disbelief trying to figure out how that could be, a lady came into the hot-tub room fully clothed and rolled up her pant leg right in front of me and dunked her unwashed feet straight into the tub!!!!!! The hotel seemed to be heavily favored by foreign travelers, such as myself, as opposed to Japanese patrons who might be more well-accustomed to all the do's and don'ts of the onsen rituals. But one would think that usurping a public hot tub as your own foot bath, which everyone else shares in after getting cleaned and rinsed, would violate anyone's sense of decency weather you are particularly familiar with onsen etiquettes or not. Completely grossed out, I just got out of there as quickly as I could.

Having made my travel plans quite close to the travel dates, I didn't have many choices in terms of hotels with vacancy on my specific, non-flexibledates -- that, and the fact that I had children traveling with me and needed a hotel with bigger rooms. If you are thinking of traveling to Hakone, especially on weekends, it would be wise to start on the hotel search as soon as you can. My stay at Palace Hotel Hakone was very disappointing and I would have never subjected myself and my family to that even though the room rate was on the more affordable side compared to other area hotels. Cleanliness is not something I'd be willing to compromise that easy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

My friend and I love this hotel very much. We stayed for two nights here.
Location - As it iis near to Togendai, so it's a bit far from Odawara station. However, take bus T from Odawara station and it stops directly in front of the hotel which I find it very convenient. It's also very easy to get to Gotemba Premium Outlets from the hotel.
Room - Hugh and spacious!!! We booked "Hollywood Twin Mountain View" which offers really nice mountain view indeed. Read one review that it could be haunted but nothing happened to me and my friends during our stay there. It can be quite scary especially when there are very few occupants during our stay as well. BUT no, see and hear nothing unusual.
Onsen - Indoor and outdoor. Both are excellent and relaxing!!! We went during winter so it's a real comfort to soak in the hot water at night after a day of walking.
Internet - only available at the lobby.
Staff - Very helpful and friendly
I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Start your visit from Togendai - Owakudani - Gora - Lake Ashi - Togendai if you stay at Palace Hotel...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Large hotel offering a swimming pool (in Summer only), Onsen and restaurant. As the hotel is in an isolated location the restaurant can be seen as expensive. The bus stops right outside the hotel which is just over an hour from Odawara JR station and less than 10 mins from the Ropeway and cruise terminal, by bus. Make sure you get the Hakone two-day pass if you will be travelling around Hakone and using the Ropeway and cruise. This hotel was the only one in our two weeks in Japan that offered an transformer which allowed us to use 220v items! The room we stayed in was large as was the bathroom – comparable to Western standards. It also had its own vanity area. Staff were friendly. Wifi is in public areas only. Rooms offered a minibar and tea and coffee facilities. Ideal if you’re looking for a relaxing stay in Hakone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Palace Hotel Hakone? Share your experiences!