“Excellent Location, Service, Facilities” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Palace Hotel Hakone

You added Palace Hotel Hakone to your Saves list
Palace Hotel Hakone
3.0 of 5 Onsen Hotel   |   1245 Sengokuhara, Ashigarashimo-gun, Hakone-machi 250-0631, Kanagawa Prefecture (Sengokuhara Onsen)   |
3.5 of 5 stars 135 Reviews
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Excellent Location, Service, Facilities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

We stayed 2 nights. The location is awesome. We had room on the top floor no. 534. This room offers view of Mt Fuji. The room is really large and very well furnished, beautiful wall paper, adequate storage space, 2 large windows overlooking the gold course and Mt Fuji, table and chairs, wardrobe, large bathroom with a bathtub, plenty of drawers, Yukata. Service is prompt and good. Staff speak English well. There is a small shop that sells some souvenirs.
The hotel has great Onsen facilities. There is an indoor and outdoor Onsen with sauna. Well kept and rejuvenating.
I would recommend this hotel. It's very close from Togendai (on the edge of Lake Ashi). Its About 50 minutes bus ride from Odawara station.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Location: was very out of the way but you can to see Mount Fuji from the hotel car park... The hotel can easily be accessed by bus though. However pls note that there are no other eateries or supermart nearby unless you take the bus further down... Only place to have your meals is the restaurants in the hotel which are pretty expensive, but we did not have much choice anyway.

Service: friendly, helpful and efficient...

Room: spacious and clean. Feel some sort of eeriness though as we heard some sound in the room.

Onsen: it's 24 hours, authentic... Love it...

Given the price we paid, I think you can get a better hotel with views of mt Fuji and onset in a good location...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Fairfax, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Yes, I agree -- This is not meant to be a restaurant review. Why am I opening up my review with this melodramatic comment about their restaurants, you ask? Ah, yes, that'd be because the hotel location is such that you cannot, I repeat, CANNOT walk to anywhere to eat other than at one of the three hotel restaurants on site. This is especially a problem when the weather does not cooperate with your plans and it wouldn't be advisable to drive out on the treacherously winding and narrow road in snow/dense fog/rain, you name it. Even on a good day, you don't want to drive out 15-20 minutes just to get your breakfast only to turn around and get back to the hotel to get ready for the day ahead. They charge you anywhere from $20 to upwards of $100 for utterly uninspiring food. (My club sandwich, which was not even a true club sandwich, cost me close to $20 and it was one of the cheapest food I could find on the menu offer by its only western restaurant) The Japanese restaurant on-site on the first floor didn't even offer a la carte items, and would have cost me about $60 per person to eat from their course menu, the price of which would go up to over $100 per person. Completely in the state of sticker shock, I didn't even bother to inquire about a second, "more elegant" Japanese restaurant located on the second floor. By the way, all of the three different dishes my family ordered from the western restaurant were nothing but disappointment. I have had worse food elsewhere, of course. WIth that kind of price tag, one could certainly expect more in terms of food quality and presentation.

As far as the hotel rooms are concerned, I largely agree with previous reviewers. The rooms are surprisingly spacious by Japanese standard, and attentiveness of the staff was somewhat on par with the average level of courtesy one can expect from usual Japanese commercial outfits. There is certainly room for improvement in the area of cleanliness, however. Our room smelled odd and the carpet was quite stained. The worst of it all was the onsen itself. The water was visibly cloudy with "human pollution" and as I am staring at the pool in disbelief trying to figure out how that could be, a lady came into the hot-tub room fully clothed and rolled up her pant leg right in front of me and dunked her unwashed feet straight into the tub!!!!!! The hotel seemed to be heavily favored by foreign travelers, such as myself, as opposed to Japanese patrons who might be more well-accustomed to all the do's and don'ts of the onsen rituals. But one would think that usurping a public hot tub as your own foot bath, which everyone else shares in after getting cleaned and rinsed, would violate anyone's sense of decency weather you are particularly familiar with onsen etiquettes or not. Completely grossed out, I just got out of there as quickly as I could.

Having made my travel plans quite close to the travel dates, I didn't have many choices in terms of hotels with vacancy on my specific, non-flexibledates -- that, and the fact that I had children traveling with me and needed a hotel with bigger rooms. If you are thinking of traveling to Hakone, especially on weekends, it would be wise to start on the hotel search as soon as you can. My stay at Palace Hotel Hakone was very disappointing and I would have never subjected myself and my family to that even though the room rate was on the more affordable side compared to other area hotels. Cleanliness is not something I'd be willing to compromise that easy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

My friend and I love this hotel very much. We stayed for two nights here.
Location - As it iis near to Togendai, so it's a bit far from Odawara station. However, take bus T from Odawara station and it stops directly in front of the hotel which I find it very convenient. It's also very easy to get to Gotemba Premium Outlets from the hotel.
Room - Hugh and spacious!!! We booked "Hollywood Twin Mountain View" which offers really nice mountain view indeed. Read one review that it could be haunted but nothing happened to me and my friends during our stay there. It can be quite scary especially when there are very few occupants during our stay as well. BUT no, see and hear nothing unusual.
Onsen - Indoor and outdoor. Both are excellent and relaxing!!! We went during winter so it's a real comfort to soak in the hot water at night after a day of walking.
Internet - only available at the lobby.
Staff - Very helpful and friendly
I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Start your visit from Togendai - Owakudani - Gora - Lake Ashi - Togendai if you stay at Palace Hotel...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Large hotel offering a swimming pool (in Summer only), Onsen and restaurant. As the hotel is in an isolated location the restaurant can be seen as expensive. The bus stops right outside the hotel which is just over an hour from Odawara JR station and less than 10 mins from the Ropeway and cruise terminal, by bus. Make sure you get the Hakone two-day pass if you will be travelling around Hakone and using the Ropeway and cruise. This hotel was the only one in our two weeks in Japan that offered an transformer which allowed us to use 220v items! The room we stayed in was large as was the bathroom – comparable to Western standards. It also had its own vanity area. Staff were friendly. Wifi is in public areas only. Rooms offered a minibar and tea and coffee facilities. Ideal if you’re looking for a relaxing stay in Hakone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

The Hotel is quite old.. but it is still well maintained... the room we got is big and clean... but believe it or not while we wer sleeping i woke up at around 3am because someone is whispering in japanese at my ear and i hear the hangers inside the closet touching with each other... an out of the ordinary experience for me and my wife... good thing i dont understand japanese...

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Rushden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

We used this hotel as part of a tour. It is in idyllic surroundings and the rooms were O.K. Breakfast was a set menu and was served - not buffet. Initially this was welcomed because it gave the prospect of a hot breakfast instead on the usual warm/cold Western buffet breakfast. Well, you could have fruit juice, fried eggs(2) OR omelette, two rashers of bacon OR a sausage, two rounds of toast with jam and butter. That is it! If you want yoghurt that is free instead of the breakfast. If you want it as an extra the cost for a small breakfast bowl of yoghurt is about £5 plus tax + 10% service charge. Some people took dinner in the hotel and paid roughly £50 for a spaghetti/pasta dish!
Stock up with a picnic before you get there!!!!

Room Tip: The rooms at the front have good views but the lower floors are not so good as there is a large flat...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Palace Hotel Hakone? Share your experiences!