“Relaxing and restful” 5 of 5 stars

You added Setsugetsuka to your Saves list
Setsugetsuka
4.0 of 5
Ryokan
  |   1300 Goura, Ashigarashimo-gun, Hakone-machi 250-0408, Kanagawa Prefecture (Gora Onsen)   |
“Relaxing and restful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

We spent considerable time researching ryokans in the area and couldn't be happier with out choice of setsugetsuka.

The food was good, typically Japanese so some things that we weren't used to but generally plenty of food so we found things we liked

Facilities are really excellent. Onsens were great - especially the private ones. Ice lollies very welcome afterwards

Location is also perfect for those wanting to "do the loop". We looked at the more expensive ryokans but can honestly say we were really happy with our choice of setsugetsuka.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

After reading some of the reviews here I am wondering what some people expect for their money. We thoroughly looked into all Ryokans before deciding to book this one. I wanted a private bath and also a bath on the balcony. This was the cheapest we could find that wasn't going to break the bank, most of the others we looked at were around +£600 a night and this was a snip at £280 per night. It is also in a ideal location as very close to the train station and easy to get to from Tokyo. The staff were very friendly and there was always someone available that could explain things in English for us. The food was also good, we ate in both restaurants and enjoyed both, it was great to have a traditional Japanese meal and try all the weird things they eat. I'm not sure why some say breakfast is awful maybe it is because they aren't used to fish, rice and soup in the morning. Make sure you pick up a Yukata from reception and don't be afraid to wear it to breakfast and dinner. The onsen (hot springs) were enjoyable, don't be afraid, go for it is all I will say, don't forget to enjoy an ice lolly on the way out. I would recommend this hotel to anyone that's wants to try a traditional Japanese Inn which is easy to get too and doesn't break the bank!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

just want to send a big thank you to Minami who served us at the restaurant for the dinner set. It was refreshing to break away from the traditional curt Japanese hospitality. Don't get me wrong it's good. But throw in a bit of larikanism and aussie humour? was just that little extra that made the night. Maaaaarneee as she pronounces it worked n studied in Australia for 3 yrs and had picked up the aussie humour and charm. When she realised we were from there she used the opp. to reminisce and mixed her Japanese mannerisms with Aussie. Reaally hilarious. Made our night. Food was gd, u get what u pay for. This ryokan is not at the high end so the set dinner and breakfast was as expected for what we paid for. The bath house itself was very enjoyable with private ones available as well.

• Stayed September 2013
Dunsmore, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

If you are keen on the Ryokan experience, then this hotel is probably OK, but definitely nowhere to rave about. On the plus side we did have a big room but it looked out over the hotel's plant area (electrics, boilers etc which hummed all night) and tall trees. It rained a lot when we were there and as it was fairly humid the mosquitos appeared in our room and my husband had 23 mosquito bites. The air conditioning was switched off centrally so we could not get it to work although they flicked the switch at reception so our second night was better. We had a private tub on the balcony which was quite good fun but definitely a harbour for the mosquitos.

Breakfast was just awful. I will be quite happy not to have another Japanese breakfast like this one. We had enjoyed much better breakfasts elsewhere and dinner was equally as average. We had the shabu shbu both nights, as this was recommended to be the better option, but cooking large chunks of cabbage and fatty meat in water was not my idea of a great meal. If people rave about the food here I cannot imagine where else they have eaten in Japan. The dining room also had stained fabric panels and was lacking in quality and refinement. Coffee is available in a separate room - help yourself. We skipped breakfast on our second morning and had a lovely one at a station cafe down the line.

As in all Japanese hotels, the staff are helpful and one young lady spoke perfect English which was a huge bonus. We went out for the day after breakfast on our first morning and saw nothing as it was raining and then very misty. This, of course, was just bad luck, but we highly recommend the Open Air Sculpture park just down the line at the next station. I also, surprisingly, loved the Sumo wrestling I saw on the television in the evening. I knew that we were not onsen people so our Agent made a big mistake booking this hotel. I was also not overly impressed with the whole area. It has a very coach trip feel to it as it is so close to Tokyo and we would much rather have explored elsewhere although the railway trip to get here is great.

Room Tip: Avoid tall tress and the plant end.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

After spending quite some time going back and forth over which place to stay in Hakone for 2 nights, I decided to go with Setsugetsuka. I made the right choice! First of all, I wanted a private onsen, but not too expensive. As well, I wanted the traditional Japanese Ryokan experience that included breakfast and dinner. Some places charge more to deliver dinner to your room, and after what I know, i would never do that. This place is GORGEOUS! I am very critical of hotels, and this one exceeded my expectations beyond words! Staff where helpful and we checked in to a lovely room. It is a large place, with many walking paths to the private onsens and the public baths. All surrounded by hills and trees and waterfalls. It was a bit odd as a Westerner, but you wear either your pajamas or a Yukata to dinner and breakfast w/ wooden shoes (actually love them...they have rubber on the bottom and are comfortable). If it seems strange, TRUST ME, it is very FUN and you will enjoy it. Also, the Onsen issue. At first, it was intimidating, but it's very easy and anyone can and should do it. You just bring you bag in the room, wear your yukata, and go! Inside, you put your shoes on the left, and further in are baskets where you put your clothes and get naked. there is a small hand towel you cover yourself with in front. Go into the area where the stools are, find one with a bucket upside down, and then SIT DOWN and use either the bucket or shower nozzle to soap up and wash off. Just like at home. You can even stand while you soap. After rinsing off, step into any off the pools you like. You step in with the towel covering you, and as you ease in, put the towel on the edge of pool, or just on your head. I did, and it was relaxing. After you want to try another, go to the pool, and there are little buckets. Gather some water, and rinse yourself with it before stepping in. There is a cold bath, and i recommend it as a quick finishing soak. Trust me, you will LOVE this. There was never more than 3 people, and the private ones are almost always free. Please PLEASE ENJOY this as it is right from the mountain, and you will absolutely love it. After you come out, there are little ice pops and cold small yogurts to drink. Anyhow, this place is an absolute elegant classy gem, and i HIGHLY recommend it. Try to get a private onsen, they are incredible. The food was stellar, and I can't say more. BTW, my GF is Japanese, and she told me this was one of the most elegant places she's been to, and she's been to Hakone alot.

Room Tip: I don't know about the other rooms, but the one we chose had a private onsen, and these look ove...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

First, if you come for 1 day only, don't plan your Hakone itinerary on Wednesday as many places close on Wednesday!

We arrived on a rainy day by car rental, although it was very close to train station (which was a selling point). When we arrived the hotel was packed of people, with kids running around. Lobby staff spoke good English to guide us how to go to our new building. It was quite a trip w/ our two luggage with some stairs too, but I'm not sure of the difference between main and new building besides the direction it faces. We booked the smallest room, yet it was big enough for 2 of us with 2 big luggage, even with a couch space. The room was nicely decorated as shown in the hotel webpage. The double bed was comfy with an air conditioner that blows cool / hot air at the temperature to your liking.

The outside bath is a selling point to this hotel. It was kinda cold to have outdoor bath in April, but we tried anyway. There's a thermometer to show you how hot your water was, before you decide when to hop in after filing the bath tub w/ hot water. Be reminded there's no onsen water flowing in, but it felt good anyway (optionally you may buy onsen powder from souvenir shops and put it there if you want). The wooden shades can be shifted for maximum privacy, but as my room faced an open area we were fine to leave it open.

The onsen was obviously the key to Hakone and to this hotel. The public one was nicely decorated, with various options esp. outdoor ones, where I loved the most (there was a single wooden tub so u have your own onsen). There were 3 private onsens for family / couples but strangely it lacked shower facility which means there might be people coming here w/ their sweaty body - emm. They aren't that private as I could hear others chatting in other onsens.

Again when we visited there it was cherry blossom season so the place was filled with lots of people. Since we checked in late, we were asked to have dinner at 8:30pm, a time considered fairly late. We chose the beef option of the included dinner, which was good but not "wow". Most food was made in advance so it was much like a buffet dinner. The morning breakfast again was filled with lots of people that we had to wait for 15-20min. But the breakfast had better offerings.
Note that there was an all-you-can-eat snack period after 10pm with a surprising bowl of ramen.

Reception was worth a praise. It was raining heavily after we checked out. There were guys who would take a big umbrella to lead me to the car, drove to the exit, helped me load up my luggage, and said good bye. I saw they would even lend umbrellas to visitors to the train station (just steps away) and they would pick the umbrellas up afterwards.

Overall it was a good stay. But if you come on a peak season, expect waiting on everything.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I planned my trip in late March and It's very difficult to find a onsen hotel in earl Apr. I managed to find one through internet. I did not expect much because of this hurry arrangement.

This onsen hotel is relatively new. Service is not perfect but good, comparable to usual standard of other japan onsen hotel. The food is also very nice. The environment is cozy. I think every room have own private onsen bath though it's not a very traditional type.

There is own one problem of my room. It is facing the main road and the railway track of Gora Station. So privacy may be a problem if that was your concern. In fact, there is a building at the back of this onsen hotel which is facing the garden. I think it's much better than rooms that face the railway track.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Setsugetsuka? Share your experiences!