“A great alternative to the Disney Resorts.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel

You added Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1-9 Maihama, Urayasu, Chiba Prefecture 279-0031, Japan (Maihama Station)   |
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels / Ryokan in Urayasu
ontario
“A great alternative to the Disney Resorts.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights while visiting Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Sea. The rates for the hotel, while expensive, are much better value than those of the Disney owned hotels and are a very easy commute to the parks. We found the staff to be courteous and helpful and there always seemed to be someone close at hand who spoke English. We found Joseph, one of the doormen, to be particularly helpful and friendly.

The resort is easily reached via limousine bus. It took us about 30 min from Haneda, and outbound, it was about an hour to Narita. One tip: if going to Narita from the hotel, book your seat on the bus several days early if possible. This bus services all of the Disney area hotels and can fill completely. There are only a limited number of buses departing each day. We booked our seat on the day we arrived.

Our room was very spacious, even by Western standards and we found it to be very well maintained and immaculate. We had a lovely view of Tokyo Bay and the hotel gardens. The beds were very comfortable, and I was delighted to have a coffee pot at my disposal (I found this a rarity during our 2 weeks in Japan). All of the usual amenities were supplied and replaced daily. I was delighted to find that one of the TV stations carried American TV programs (in English with Japanese subtitles) in the evening.

Check in was easy, but our room was not ready (it was only noon) so we stored our bags and went to one of the parks for the day. We were delighted to find our bags already in our room when we returned later in the evening.

There is a shuttle bus that will take you the short distance to the monorail if you wish. There is also a shuttle which goes to the JR train station/Ikspiari shopping complex on the weekend. The parks are reached by monorail, which has a fee. We found the best value for us was to buy the 3 day pass.

We chose to eat all of our meals in the park, so did not experience any of the restaurants in the hotel. We did, however, make a point of getting coffee and pastries every morning from Toastina in the lobby. The croissants were indescribably flaky and delicious.

I highly recommend this hotel for anyone thinking of spending a few days in the Disney parks.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
シェラトン・グランデ・トーキョーベイ, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you very much for choosing the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel for your recent trip to Tokyo Disney Resort and for your valuable feedback to our hotel’s services.
We delighted to find out you enjoyed your stay with us and really appreciate your comment on our staff’s service. Such comments certainly help in motivating our staff and more importantly assist us to provide a better service.
We apologize that your room was not ready yet when you arrived at the hotel.
We certainly hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Mooloolaba, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Great hotel we enjoyed three nights there. Monorail to Disney Sea and Disneyland. Our grandsons loved it plenty of space in the rooms. Disney shop in the lobby was great to get extra gifts. Staff were helpful and there is a free shuttle to the station. Overall we would reccomend this hotel to anyone wanting to get the best out of the theme parks without a long trip to get there each day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
シェラトン・グランデ・トーキョーベイ, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you very much for choosing the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel for your trip to Tokyo Disney Resort and we very much appreciate your feedback on our services. We are delighted to know you enjoyed your stay with us and that our location is convenient for your activities. We do hope we can welcome you and your family back in the near future.
Manila, Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel as we were unable to get accomodation in Shinjuku. It was a good location if you are going to Disneyland. Its across the road from the Monorail and they have a shuttle to the train station. Staff speak limited English which sometimes made it hard to get questions answered.

Our check-in time was 3pm and arrived at the hotel about 4:15PM. They told us that our rooms were not ready and that we needed to wait. No apology was offered (this could have been due to the limited English skills). However when we did make a complaint and asked them to provide us with a free drink whilst we waited they happily obliged.

Room size was good for Japan standards but was very clean.

Overall this hotel is over-priced and not worth what you pay for it! Your essentially paying for a great location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for choosing the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel for your recent stay and for your valuable feedback to our hotel’s services.
We really regret to find out that we were not able to meet your expectations. We apologize that we kept you waiting when you arrived at the hotel and that our staff could not offer a clear explanation due to the lack of English skills. Please accept our sincere apology for uncomfortable experience during your stay. We continue to enhance the services we offer to our guests.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The good - i didnt pay cash to stay at this hotel and used points. The breakfast buffet was a good (it was free as a platinum elite guest).

The bad - hotel rooms are dated, definitely need an upgrade. There were no english channels available on the TV, not even BBC. it truly is a PITA to get to Tokyo center from this hotel. I was under the impression that the hotel offered a shuttle to the train station, but this was not accurate - they only offer it on weekends. Otherwise, you have to take the Disney monorail to the train station, then a commuter train to Tokyo Center. It truly was a pain, and the short Disney monorail cost more than some subway trips in Tokyo that covered much more distance.

The executive lounge - what a joke. each night, they offered the same basic salad, cheese squares and crackers, and hershey kisses. They also offered wine, but seemed to be very slow on replenishing the two bottles they had out for the entire lounge, and they had no bottled water for guests. On my 2nd night, i was denied access to the lounge because it was "full". When i looked in, it was filled with mostly children. Why are children permitted into the executive lounge which then results in adult customers being denied access? At that point, I simply needed access to the computer to print out directions. However, a child was using the ONE computer to play games. I asked the lounge staff if they could either print out my directions on their computer or ask the child to stop playing games so I could use the computer for 2 minutes -- the staff member looked at me - stared at me with a dumb smirk on his face and did nothing. I was defeated and never got my directions nor an evening snack or glass of wine. Throughout the day, the only thing you could get from the lounge was a coffee from the coffee machine. They did not offer any refreshments or fruit. Again, a pathetic lounge and I was very disappointed by the offerings, the management of it, and the disinterested and unhelpful staff that worked it. By the way, no breakfast was offered in the lounge - they gave you a voucher to go to the restaurants for the buffet.

The ugly - this hotel does not have a good understanding of the Starwood rewards program. First, there was no one working the Starwood desk at check-in or for even basic inquiries. Instead, I waited in line for 45 min before I could check in. Upon being waited on, it took almost another 15-20 min to just check me in. I reminded the clerk that I was a platinum and asked for my room upgrade. He claimed I had a room upgrade but in reality, it was just a standard room. Why tell me this if it's not true? Well, that's what this hotel staff likes to do -- tell you stuff that was not true, hence the ugly. I was told that i was only entitled to breakfast for one day in the lounge because my 4 night reservation was being paid with my points for one night, and my friend's points for 3 nights (and she was just a Gold Elite). I don't understand - the reservations were linked, and I was still a guest in the hotel, but they denied benefits for the remainder of my stay. I wasn't going to make a big deal out of it, but when I went to the lounge the next morning for breakfast, it was closed. The "manager" told me to my face that i would have breakfast in the lounge as a platinum for that first night/mornign, yet they don't even offer breakfast in the lounge, and you are required to have vouchers for breakfast, which he never gave to me. I find this out AFTER THE FACT, another bold face lie from hotel staff. Then I inquired about internet in my room. I was told i would have to pay for it. I had to prove to them by printing out info from the spg website that platinum AS WELL AS GOLD (my friend was a gold) were entitled to free internet in our room and that we would not be paying for it as they insisted we had to pay for it. I finally had to engage SPG platinum concierge to take care of the matter, as anytime i would try to communicate with someone at the main desk, i would just get nods and a smile, but no answers and no resolution. after the smile, i was told "NO, that's not how we do it or NO, that's not right."

This was an absolute horrible experience at this hotel, and it ruined the first four days of my vacation - having to deal with the staff and the issues regarding my stay, and just an overall feeling of not being welcomed by this hotel. I would recommend that you avoid it - use your SPG points for a different property and pay cash at a hotel in the center of Tokyo.

BTW, the manager of the hotel met with me the morning i was checking out -- he apologized for any issues - but sorry, that came a little too late. my four night stay was already ruined. overall, i felt very disrespected at this hotel by management and staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
シェラトン・グランデ・トーキョーベイ, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you very much for choosing the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel for your recent stay and taking your time to write your feedback on our services.
We really regret to find out that we were not able to meet your expectations and that we have disappointed you especially with staff’s service and SPG benefits. We sincerely apologize for your uncomfortable experience during your stay. We should be more concerned about our guests’ needs so that we can offer our guests a pleasant stay. All your observations were shared with our Management and we continue to enhance the services we offer to SPG members.
We certainly hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future, allowing us to exceed your expectations.
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We booked this hotel because we got the 3 day pass for Tokyo Disneyland. The rooms were huge for Japan standards. My son loved it as there was a mini golf course and free video games at the lobby area. They also had a Disney store at the lobby, perfect for doing some last minute shopping and if you want to avoid the long lines in Disney. Going to and from Disneyland and Disney sea was also a breeze, since they had their own Disney resort bus - dedicated for the Sheraton so you won't have to wait long.

Tip: Get a room with the Disney view, you can see the erupting volcano and the castle from your room. You can also see the fireworks (usually about 8:15-8:30pm)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for choosing the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel for your recent trip to Tokyo Disney Resort and we very much appreciate your comments on our services.
We are delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We also have rooms with a great view of Tokyo Bay, other than rooms with a view of Tokyo Disney Parks.
We do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.
Cebu City, Cebu City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Very convenient location for families who are going to visit the Disney resorts in Tokyo. The train the Disney resorts is across the hotel. The train station for the city is also accessible through the Disney train where there is a mall and convenience stores. The service is of the hotel isgood and there is free wifi in the lobby. And the price is very reasonable.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
シェラトン・グランデ・トーキョーベイ, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you very much for choosing the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel for your recent trip to Tokyo Disney Resort and we very much appreciate your review on our services. We are delighted to know you enjoyed your stay with us and that our location is convenient for your activities. We do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed here because I'm a SPG member claiming my free night and intending to visit DisneySea hence would be good to stay near to it. It would have been too expensive if I were to book on regular pricing (45,000Y for wkend rate).
First advice to future guests is to take the free shuttle bus from Maihama in to the hotel. If not, make sure you buy the 1 day pass for the Disney Monorail.
We tried asking the customer service at Maihama Disney monorail station and she told us there's no shuttle and that we had to take the monorail in (which costs 250Y) but when we checked in, we realised that there's a shuttle bus from Maihama in to the hotel as well on top of the one from Bayside station. Hence, we wasted 250Y each and we could've bought a 1 day pass(which costs 630Y) since one needs to take the monorail from the hotel to disneySea as well as back. We also mistakenly thought that DisneySea would be walkable distance to the hotel or if not there would be a shuttle service to there but there isn't.

Hotel lobby looks good with alot of check-in counters and customer service representatives. They also have a special express counter for SPG Gold/Platinum members which makes it faster and easier for questions/check-ins to be done by the above category members.

However, there was disappointment when we entered the room to find that it's quite old. Another disappointment was the toilet amenities. On the website pictures, it shows bottles of a unique branded "Aqua Shui Water" shampoo and body wash for their toiletries but in actual, the toilet offers dispenser kind of Shampoo and Body wash. The pillows were abit too soft as well, but fits snuggly when stacked up. The saving grace is the fantastic sea view offered by the balcony as well as the hotel's Glass Chapel and church (which is very popular with wedding couples) view.

A nice thing of the hotel is that they offer a late night buffet (9.30pm-11pm) which is half-priced (at 2880Y) of their regular dinner buffet. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the restaurant was still having buffet. Selection is more limited but was an enjoyment to both of us since we were really tired and hungry from being out in the Amusement Park the whole day. So kudos to that!

Last but not least, I think the service crew from both the restaurant and the hotels have been very friendly and nice. Service-oriented and smiley, they make the stay so much nicer and happier despite the lack in freshness of the rooms.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms give a better view~
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
シェラトン・グランデ・トーキョーベイ, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Please be advised that the shuttle bus between Maihama station and the hotel is available only Saturdays and Sundays, and for weekdays we usually inform guests to use the monorail from Maihama station to Bayside Station. From Bayside Station to the hotel, the shuttle bus is running every day.
We regret to find out that you were disappointed with your room and the toilet amenities. We found the picture of amenities on the website was old. We will replace it by a new picture as soon as possible. As for pillows, we have firmer ones available so that we can offer you upon request. Please accept our sincere apology for uncomfortable experience during your stay and we were not able to give you enough information in advance. We continue to enhance the services we offer to all of our guests.
We are, however, delighted to know that you were satisfied with our restaurants and staff’s services.

Been to Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!