“A very pleasant suprise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marroad International Hotel Narita Airport

You added Marroad International Hotel Narita Airport to your Saves list
Marroad International Hotel Narita Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   763-1 Komaino, Narita, Chiba Prefecture 286-0121, Japan   |
Ranked #19 of 29 Hotels / Ryokan in Narita
Sydney, Australia
“A very pleasant suprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2009

We booked this as a transit hotel as we made our way from sydney to milan. We booked it through hotelclub.net for $AUD120, which was a very cheap rate because it was non-refundable and paid for well in advance.

It was quite a while after we had booked and paid that we read the reviews on Tripadvisor for this hotel... The previous reviews made this hotel sounds terrible and unhygienic, but we were unable to change our booking without losing money, so we were very worried about what it would be like when we turned up.

The shuttle to and from the airport is very handy, and goes at least every half hour. When we arrived at the hotel we noticed that a lot of the cabin crew from our JAL flight were also checking in, which reassured us that hopefully the hotel wouldn't be as bad as the reviews described it as!

I am pleased to say that our night at this hotel was an entirely positive experience. The lobby is very impressive, and the room was far better than I had imagined. Our room really couldn't have been cleaner, and we were left so confused that other people had had such unpleasant stays here.

The rooms were dead quiet and had shutter-doors for the windows so that you could make the room completely dark for sleeping (great for getting over jet lag). The TV had channels from a lot of different languages, and the room was spacious enough to comfortably store our suitcases so that we weren't constantly tripping over them. The beds were probably the best part of the room- they were very wide for single beds and comfortable, good quality mattresses. We slept very well. Bathrooms were new and clean, and included a japanese style toilet with all the buttons and washing options. Complimentary toilettries included the usual shampoo and soap, as well as toothbrushes and a hairbrush.

It should be noted that although the hotel is at a very convenient location for getting to/from the airport, there really is nothing near the hotel apart from a road. This means that unless you bring food with you, you really have to buy it from the hotel. There is a bar/restaurant on the top floor, but we ate dinner at the cafe near reception which is slightly cheaper. We paid about $AUD20 each for a main course, which i guess is still quite pricey. If you wanted something cheaper for dinner, you can get a plate of noodle stir fry in the convenience store on the ground floor, which they heat up for you, but you'd have to bring it back to your room to eat it.

We honestly had no complaints about this hotel, and were actually impressed with its quality. It was exactly what we needed for a transit hotel.

• Stayed January 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

My work takes me to Japan very often and our company has us stay at the Marroad many times during the year. As previous reviewers said, it is a very dirty hotel, no matter in which room you stay.
The 6th, 10th and 11th floor have no-smoking rooms that tend to be less smelly, but still the smell of old dusty carpets is what strikes you most as you enter the room. Some bathrooms do smell of urine strongly. The dust under the beds in unbelievable. The surfaces always have round traces of glasses or cups that were put there by previous customers.
Here are a few things that happened at the Marroad during my previous stays, to me or co-workers:

- I arrived in my room one day and there was a cake half-eaten remaining right there on the table by the bed, not even on a plate. I called reception who sent a lady to clean it... She arrived in my room with a grey cloth and spread it all over to remove it. She used no water, let alone detergent. Since then I bring anti-bacterial wipes and clean the tables first thing after my flight when I get into my room!

- cockroaches are regularly found in the rooms

- I arrived in a room which door did not lock when shut, anybody could come in if I had not done the test.

- I arrived in a room with no handle at the window

- co-workers who forgot things in their room never got them back

- Western co-workers have been told there was no room available for the dates they wanted to book on a holiday, although the staff did not even check on the computer, then a Japanese friend who booked for them got the reservation on the same date!

- the cosmetics are very strong and especially the body soap has created skin problems to many, including myself. Since then, I bring my soap and shampoo.

- the eggs at breakfast made me sick several times, as well as other co-workers.

- some calls that people had made to my room were never transfered.

I have still not understood how such a dreadful hotel could survive in Japan. Avoid this hotel by all means if you have a choice!

• Liked — The smell of kerosene
  • Disliked — all the other smells
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2007

I have been travelling around the world and before leaving Japan, I wanted to have two nights in Narita. A Travel Agency in Japan offered me a good deal on a good, as they call hotel! And, I was not only shocked but also sick after my stay. The carpets are dirty, the curtains have not been washed for a year, the layer of dust at the bed table and smell of urine in the bathroom. Staying in a youth hostel in Thailand is so much nicer than that hotel! But the worst part was that I got skin problems after being a guest in Marroad International Hotel. After coming back to the States, I had to have lots of tests done and the doctors found out that it was caused by some type of a dust tick. And it was from the Marroad Hotel because it was the most dirty institution I have ever been!

• Liked — Absoloutely nothing!
  • Disliked — All was there was a disaster!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2007

I have been staying a few times at this hotel and I must say that the room was each time dirty :
1) hairs found in the bathroom, on the bed.
2) One time, blood found on the bed cover.
3) Another time cigarette ends were found on the carpet in a non smoking room on the tenth floor
4) Each time, the carpet was dirty.
That is to say that the cleaning staff there is clearly not professionnal.
Internet in the room costs 1000 Yen for 24 hours.
It is possible to have internet Wifi only on the 1st and 2nd floor.
If you stay in a single room, you will be on the side of the runway of Naria Airport as this hotel is the nearest form the runway. So you will hear airplanes land and take off from the early morning until late evening.
You can be in a single or double room, the walls are thin and you will hear your neighbours if they are too noisy, if they open there curtains or if they talk in the corridors
The breakfast is a buffet with Japanese style food or Western style food.
The Staff speaks english and is nice however.
Free Transfer to and from the airport by bus as well as to Narita city and Aeon Narita Shopping Center.

I Definitely would not recommand to stay in this hotel if you want to keep a positive opinion of Japan.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2007

The room had stained and dirty carpet, walls and fixtures. The bed was small and shoved into a small room up against a wall requiring one of us to crawl over the bed to get the the wall side to sleep. The walls were thin, the bathroom tiny and the whole hotel felt run down and poorly kept. There was masking tape on holes in the carpet in the corridors. The Asian restaurant was very expensive and the food dreadful, a real let down after all the fabulous food we'd eaten in Japan during our 2 week holiday. Stay at another hotel, there are plenty of others.

• Liked — Close to airport and a free shuttle bus to airport
  • Disliked — Dirty and poorly kept
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Greenwood Lake
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2006

Took a stab in the dark for our layover to Vietnam, and couldn't have been more pleased with this large hotel at a resonable price. Room & bath spacious & clean, staff helpful, free transfer to & from airport & town, good breakfast and it does have a pool, spa & gym which we did not have time to use, but it looked great.

Stayed August 2006

Been to Marroad International Hotel Narita Airport? Share your experiences!