“earthquake” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 stars 1,226 Reviews
San Antonio, Texas
“earthquake”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

i was staying at the hilton, narita japan, when the earthquake happened. i have never been so impressed with the professionalism of the hotel staff during the evacuation, and the way they attended to the hotel guest. as the quake started to happen, we were told over the P.A. to evacuate. once everyone was outside, water and towels were distributed to everyone, and constant updated were told in both english and japanese, thru a microphone. when the hotel felt it was safe for everyone to re-enter, than coffe and tea were complimentary. kudos to david harper, the hotel manager, and the entire staff. safety and comfort were their main priority. i thank you! kellene

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

My wife, three boys and I were at the Hilton in Narita at the end of February and thus were spared the experience that many have written about in respect of the powerful earthquake that rocked the north east of Honshu just days after we left. The Hilton Narita is a comfortable hotel with a friendly and helpful staff. We were able to buy a few souveniers in the store in the lobby late in the evening before we left - it is well stocked with worthwhile momentos for folks back home. The restaurant was good for our dinner but the buffet breakfast was a bit disappointing. I was quite surprised that there was no wireless internet in the room or indeed in the lobby. This was inconvenient since I was traveling with an iPad without the ability to connect to a wired internet service. The big plus for us was the ability to per-order food and clothing. We were able to outfit ourselves for a departure celebration in our adjoining rooms. It was really quite a fun way to enjoy our last night in Japan. The airport shuttle was prompt and got us smoothly to the airport. All in all it was a pleasant stay. Our best wishes and prayer go out to those coping with the aftermath of the triple tragedy that has befallen Japan's north east. Thank you to the staff at the Hilton Narita.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

Mr Harper and staff and Hilton Narita,

First of all my thoughts are with you and your families as you deal with the horrible aftermath in Japan. On behalf of myself and my husband as well as my travelling companions, we want to sincerely thank you for all your help while staying at your hotel during the earthquake.

My husband and I were amazed at how helpful and brave all the staff were during such a scary and dangerous time. Throughout the duration of the hotel evacuation, they put the safety and comfort of all hotel guests before their own. They ran into the still shaking hotel while guests were evacuated to bring us blankets, chairs and water. The staff at the Narita Hilton are truely dedicated employees!

Also we would like to especially thank Hotel Manager Harper. It was very obvious that Mr Harper was constantly looking out for the safety and comfort of each and every guest. We approached him several times during our stay with matters that seemed trivial at the time of such devestation. He did not make our concerns sound trivial and promptly rectified them.
i cannot say enough good things about Mr Harper and his staff and want to extend our sincerest gratitude,

We hope you and your families stay safe and wish your country a speedy recovery.

A million thank you's
M+DW (Canada)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

I was at Narita ( Tokyo ) airport when the earthquake hit at 3 PM on March 11. Everything was shut down and I was told to spend the night sleeping on the baggage claim area floor. Instead, I took the hotel bus to the Narita Hilton. Hotel director David Harper was extremely understanding of the situation and arranged accomodation for everyone that showed up at his hotel. My accomdation was a roll away bed in a conference room. It was the pent house suite compared to the alternative at the airport. I am truly grateful for the generous hospitality extended to me by David Harper and his staff during the earthquake crisis.

Homerville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

I can not say enough good things about the staff and the Manager. It was a stressful event but it was handled efficiently and with consideration for our needs. Staff provided blankets, water, chairs ,hand warmers ,slippers to those who needed them after evacuating the hotel and waiting for the "all clear" to return inside the hotel. After the after shock, of 6.8 , they were still concerned about our safety and provided comfort and the other tools to keep warm. We then were offered coffee and tea to warm up once inside , and the manager was so helpful to us ......WAY TO GO Hilton staff...and thank you so much...

Tokyo, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

I stayed for a night. Though hotel offers a complimentary shuttle service from hotel to airport and Narita station, location is a very bad. The internet connection was very slower than other hotels near airport. I thought other guests used skype in the room. No hotel staff realized why it was slow. The room rate was very reasonable, but I didn't feel like staying at this hotel any more. Lots of airline crews stayed. This hotel forget what the best service was for the general customers. Japanese public spa bath was also low temperature.

Haywards Heath
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

En route to China, I had to overnight at Narita, and the attractive rate at the Narita Hilton made the decision on where to stay simple.

I did not have the problems with the shuttle bus that other had reported. True it is not the most modern, and true it is shared with other hotels, but it arrived when advertised and did the job. Check in with quick and efficient.

The hotel is semi-circular in shape, so rooms on the 'inside' of the curve are smaller than those on the outside of the curve. I was on the outside and the room was spacious and clean, with a view over Narita airport. It was absorbing to sit and watch wide body after wide body take off.

I took time out to visit Naritasan temple whilst on my visit. A shuttle bus takes you to Narita station (once an hour for free), or a paid for bus that tours that various sights of Narita also stops at the hotel. Naritasan is worth a visit.

Food and drink in the hotel is expensive. My burger, with a beer, was almost as much as my room rate. I ate in the Terrace Bar whic has refurbished since my last stay, when it was a darjk and dingy bar with a dodgy country artist singing in the corner. Now it is bright and airy.

Breakfast was adequate - included as a Hhonors VIP. If I had paid I would have been disappointed. The bason was freaky - small slices, hardly cooked.

But overall, the hotel was clean and comfortable, and I would recommend.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Tokyo Narita Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!