“Stayed for 18 hrs” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels / Ryokan in Narita
nz
“Stayed for 18 hrs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I booked this hotel because of the indoor pool. When we got there we had to hire towels and SWIMMInG CAPS!?? Net ones, my teenagers wouldn't go, I forced them. I Spent $13 nzd ( which I didn't have, as thought I wouldn't need to spend any cash in Japan. Put it on visa) for the privilege of them swimming for 5 mins.
They won't let you swim without them, but as I left 3 men entered at different times..not wearing them!
If they had stated swimming caps on the website and the $$$ needed to purchase I would have stayed at the Marriott in town and we wouldn't have had to walk 7 km round trip to the temple. But I thought the pool would be good after a 12 hr flight from nz, but they were just embarrassed. The marriott has a free shuttle to the airport, which is another thing I wanted as does the excel. Takes 20 mins and after 10.30 am runs once an hour! So be careful. Make sure you realise it's not every ten minutes etc but every 30 mins before 10.30 then hourly, if your flight is at 1 pm onwards etc

But going to the temple was the main reason we stopped in Japan on the way to Paris, and the walk was good, it was sunny and warm ( 1 deg but warmed up to 8 but no wind and sun made you sweat walking) and there is a free shuttle to town once an hour but we didn't want to waste anytime as only had 18 hrs there so left before it operated ( 0730, we finished breakfast by 7 am)

The breakfast was good, restaurant and surroundings nice.we had a room facing the waterfall and garden, so it was quiet, ask for that not one facing the motorway. Would I stay again...maybe. I enjoyed an hour in the pool and no one was with me, empty..so it was relaxing. ( my 4 kids changed and went back to the 2 rooms we had booked)
A load of kids in there, prob wouldn't bother. Spa was nice. My hat looked cute!

There is an outdoor small pool by restaurant but it was dirty and closed, being November. Rooms were old but clean. Bathrooms like a caravan Formica wall bathroom, but clean. Have stayed at nikka before, and that was good, but this hotel is the first hotel you get to if Walking to the village so that made the walk doable ( about 2 kms to green bridge then turn right to temple..another 1 km meandering through the streets)

The temple was great, the gardens lovely, a few leaves on the trees still to drop.
It was a great experience for them and worth the stop over.
Hotel was a triple room and a double with breakfast $230 nzd (Plus towels and swimming caps.
Ha ha ,) which was a good price I feel for 5 of us, and my boys put some bacon away!!! We took some pikelets, croissants and rolls for morning tea later.

Thank you Japan for the experience. I was travelling alone with my kids as husband already in France. I felt safe and well looked after. The free wifi was brilliant .
We brought food from nz for tea that might but the hotel had about 5 dining areas, lobby was pretty with a Christmas tree . English isn't spoken well...but we got by ( ie where is the pool, password for wifi, hiring of towels...the lady there, no English ) seemed a hotel where Japanese stayed rather than kiwis
Mattresses are excellent, rooms semi quite. Could hear shuffling above a little bit.

Room Tip: Overlooking waterfall/ gardens. Not over looking motorway
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

My wife works for the airline co. and when they've got Narita flight they stay in Hilton, I'm saying this because for herself Excel Hotel room is a lot better, and great value hotel you pay less for what you can get, they pick-up from and to the airport T1 and T2. We chose this hotel because of the value and didn't expect anything so we're surprised. Very good if your transiting or maybe if you only have short time in Tokyo area, we used the Excel Hotel shuttle to the airport then caught a limo bus to Shinjuku to take a bus to Mt. Fuji, I'm not sure if there's a train service, but if there's one I suggest to take it because of the traffic in and out of Shinjuku from the airport.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for one night after arriving at narita before we made the trip into tokyo. The hotel is a bit old, but it is very clean and the staff are excellent. We booked a semi-double room for $88 which included breakfast and we were upgraded to a queen room so we were very impressed. Breakfast was fine, but nothing special. It was great to take advantage of the free shuttle to and from the airport which ran on time and was extremely convenient.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Mumbai, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Japanese hositality at it's best exhibited by the staff . The single room I had was small as are most hotels in Japan . The breakfast was excellent compared to many hotels in Japan - alot more continental food to cater to international transit passengers . The comfortable and convenient bus service to the airport and downtown was an added attraction .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
heibloem
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

This is a great hotel for an overnight stay before or after a flight in or out of Narita. There is an efficient shuttle service to take you to and from the airport and the rooms are comfortable and clean. For an airport hotel it is very reasonably priced and the hotel itself is quiet and settled. The beautiful Narita temple complex is just minutes a way and well worth visiting if you have time in between flights.

Room Tip: Check inside the airport to see where to catch the shuttle bus as there are many different buses
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Cambridge UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Really surprisingly good for an airport hotel! The rooms are spacious, clean, noise-free, and the restaurant was excellent - and like the hotel itself, far from over-priced. Very efficient shuttle service to and from Tokyo Narita airport. The hotel grounds include a very fine Japanese garden.

Room Tip: Go for the top floors
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Perfect setting, close to airport and beautiful dining areas. This place was my first experience in an international country and boy did it impress! The rooms were tidy and have us an amazing view. The wifi was a little slow. We were picked up by the free coach and dropped off to the airport which saved a lot of money. About an hour it so from Tokyo city by the free coach from the hotel, also to Narita there was a free coach there and back which was fantastic. The dining down stairs outside was so cool, we sat around a table and collected what we wanted to eat and cooked it ourselves. There was also unlimited beer that you poured yourself, it has defiantly made Japan a special place in my heart as it has given me such good memories.

Stayed October 2013

Been to Narita Excel Hotel Tokyu? Share your experiences!