“If only all airport food can be this great!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sushi Kyotatsu

Sushi Kyotatsu
1 Furugome | Narita International Airport, Terminal 1, Narita 282-0004 , Chiba Prefecture
+81 476-32-1777
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 635 Restaurants in Narita
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Summit, NJ
“If only all airport food can be this great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I do consider myself a sushi snob, I've eaten at most of the best sushi places in NYC (Yasuda, Nobu, Bond street, Etc) but also eat at local places for more every day affordable prices. I had a 2 hour layover back from Hong Kong and didn't feel like only have airplane food during the 18 total hour trip. I stopped in and had the Omakase Nigari special and an additional piece of Uni, as i wanted to try the best the chef had to offer. Although pricey for airport food, at 6500 yen for the platter, this was by far inexpensive for the quality delivered. Everything was incredibly fresh and of quality. One thing which I thought was funny was the sushi chef, keep reminding me not to use soy sauce. I guess this is because it is a sin to drown the sushi in soy sauce like so many of us do in the US. Each piece had just enough soy added by the chef to bring out the natural flavors.

So if you have the chance and are stuck at the airport this is a must go to for a excellent meal.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Mexico City, Mexico
“Awesome sushi around airport terminal 1 - Narita”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Nice place, great atmosphere!!!
Service was excellent, after all how many times you can say that you have 4 sushi chefs available for you :)
Sushi is different from the moment you see the rice for the sushi, is not totally white, is more the really traditional style since you can tell that it has an additional amount of rice vinegar what makes the taste so great!.
I tried all kinds of nigiri and couldn't find anything that I wouldn't like.
I highly recommend the fatty or semi fatty tuna (toro or chu-toro) fresh from the Tsujiki market (look for the label on the menu)
Go for the sushi bar to get the whole experience you'll get fast service and talk with the chefs for recommendations.
Price, I would says is not cheap but is totally worth it.!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
JAPAN
“Best Airport Sushi Anywhere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Our outbound flight was seriously delayed and the airline provided us with a dinner coupon to be used at a Narita Airport restaurant. Of course our first choice was Sushi and we were glad to find this restaurant. Now in general airport food is nothing to brag about, au contraire. Sushi Kyotatsu made us change this perception. First rate sushi, freshly prepared by the sushi chefs behind the counter. Couldn't have been much better in downtown Tokyo, could have been much, much more expensive in downtown Tokyo. This place is highly recommended, we will be back, flight delayed or not.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Leawood, Kansas
“Awesome Sushi at the Tokyo Airport (NRT)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

How often do you find yourself forced to eat airport food in preparation for a long un-catered flight to find the food unhealthy or just plain aweful, the prices high and the service nonexistent? As a road warrior, this is my life. But what a surprise and a treat on my last transfer through Tokyo's Narita International Airport...

If you read any of my other reviews, you'll know that I am addicted to sushi. One of these days, I'm sure I'll be sprouting gills and fins. After all, you are what you eat. I had spent two days of a 4 day trip in Hiroshima. Because some colleagues don't like sushi, I was denied my addiction for all but one meal and had one last chance to imbibe during a 6 hour layover in Tokyo. This is where I found Sushi Kyotatsu. And what a find it was.

This sushi restaurant is located across from gate 33 in the international concourse near the United Airlines lounge. My colleague and I prepared that this would be a particularly expensive meal but given that it would be our last decent meal for 25 hours and we hadn't eaten breakfast, we were ok. Nothing is cheap (for Americans) in Japan but we were surprised that this meal was not as expensive as we had expected.

The variety of fresh fish was astounding with several kinds of tuna alone. I ordered a "menu" for around $40. It came with 9 or 10 pieces of the freshest sushi. To this I added a spicy tuna hand roll, unagi nigiri (eel) and challenged myself with a taste of uni (urchin), something that must be very fresh to be good. Wow. These morsels of sea exploded in my mouth and evoked seagulls and the sound of crashing surf in my ears. My colleague ordered the tuna menu which ran the spectrum of all the different cuts and species including fatty tuna, tuna collar as well as yellow fin. He agreed that it was top notch.

Service in Japan is always cordial and language is the usual barrier. But here, they spoke international English. I asked for and received a sampling of some shiso leaves, a uniquely flavored green related to mint and usually served with Sashimi. They gladly obliged at no additional charge.

So if you're addicted to sushi like I am, make some extra time in your departure schedule to visit Sushi Kyotatsu on the way out. You won't be disappointed! ご馳走さま (gochisōsama).

• Visited August 2011