“Right Atop The Heartbeat of Japan” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 56 Attractions in Shizuoka
Type: Historic Sites, Landmarks/ Points of Interest, Landmarks
Fujieda, Japan
52 attraction reviews
“Right Atop The Heartbeat of Japan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

Have you ever seen the photo of Mt. Fuji from a hill overlooking the narrow coastal area that has busy traffic of modern turnpikes ,railroad line and with views of tangerine trees on the mountainside? This view from Sattatoge Pass is often picked as the scene representing Japan, the combination of beautiful landscape of Mt. Fuji and the coast and modern technological expertise and postwar prosperity. This narrow strip area is so packed with important means of transportation you can call it the artery of Japan. To get to the pass, you have to walk at least one hour from either Yui station or Okitsu station. It seems the walk from Yui station is favored because it passes the old Japanese houses of Kurasawa and Terao.

I walked from the road close to Okitsu station after visiting Seikenji Temple and Zagyoso villa so I had to spend extra two hours because both attractions are located at the opposite direction of Sattatoge pass. After I walked 30 minutes eastward from Okitsu station area I crossed the Okitsu river. According to the Hiroshige ukiyoe painting, the traveler about 200 years ago needed the help of courier to pass the river. Then I turned left and made detour along the paved road about 25 minutes. Then I found the end of the road pavement and then mountain trail came into view. First leg of the trail was steep but after that I found the walk very comfortable with the clear view of the sea and the Izu peninsula mountains. The path was narrow but well managed. Then I found the viewpoint of that "postcard view". From this observation spot I could see not only Mt. Fuji, busy road traffic below but Hakone, Izu and Ashitaka mountains. On the sea I saw the fishing boat spreading nets. From Sattatoge pass I walked another 1 or more hour to get to the Yui station.

The weather was so great, I enjoyed the view very much. Fine day in winter may be the best season I guess.