“No pretenses, just good Italian food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Utica, New York
“No pretenses, just good Italian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were in Scotia, NY shopping at Aunt Katie's Consignment an since we aren't from the area we asked the lovely cashier to recommend a restaurant. She quickly suggested Russo's. I had briefly checked TripAdvisor for suggestions and did read the reviews on Russo's. I have to say, when I read the reviews I wasn't sold. When the cashier insisted it was good, my husband and I decided to be adventurous.

The outside of the restaurant is plain and doesn't seem to be in a good neighborhood, the inside is dated decor BUT the food is great. Our waitress was the only one working and was running around but was still able to pay enough attention to us. We both ordered a hot sandwich, meatball and eggplant parm. They serve beautiful homemade Italian bread, I easily could have eaten a half loaf with butter and been satisfied! Our sandwiches came out and they were huge! We both cut our sandwich in half so we could try both. The meatballs were very tasty, the eggplant was piled high and very light. The sauce was good, though I prefer a sweeter sauce I still basically sopped up all the sauce with the bread.

We will definitely go back and plan to tell others to stop of they're in the area.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

New Bedford
“very satisfying”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Russo's serves satisfying, tasty Italian food, I had the stuffed shells, which were good-sized and full of cheese. The sauce was very nice. My husband had a sausage and cheese sandwich on lovely Italian bread. It was delicious, and so big he had half of it the next day. Service was friendly and prompt.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Galway, New York
“Russo's Grill - Great Italian Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

It has been over a year since we have been to Russo's - before the flood which closed them down for awhile - the last time we were there service was terrible - we waited and waited for our food people who came in after us were served - but the food was always great - the new place since the flood has not changed the food was wonderful - I had Linguine with clams with the red sauce my husband had the chicken sorrentino (eggplant). We had a small dinner salad which is extra. The bread - homemade - great.
And service was really good this time.
Their pizza was always good and I am sure it still is.
So when in Amsterdam stop by Russo's.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Gloversville NY
“Never Bad!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Never a bad meal at Russos..hot roast beef..meatball sandwich...pizza all is excellent...But the homemade bread is to die for!!!

Visited August 2012
Mansfield, Texas
“Never again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

Many people love this little Italian place that's been around forever, it seems. My problem with it is that I think it's way overpriced and overrated. The last (and only recent) time I was there, I ordered a Lobster Mac 'n Cheese special. It came with very little lobster and they didn't even serve a salad or anything else with it! I won't go back.

Visited July 2011