“Beautiful older hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
NE
“Beautiful older hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This B&B is very cute and the rooms are huge. May fill up quickly though as there are only 2 rooms to rent. The owners were beyond friendly and kind. Overall Amsterdam Castle is a beautiful building and the room was adorable. The hotel provides organic soaps and shampoos and some nice robes. The only reason I didn't give this hotel 5 stars is because the bathroom was so cold in the middle of the night/early a.m. They have space heaters to help keep the rooms warm, but I am not sure what happened with the bathroom. This just really is an FYI for future visitors if it's a winter month. Also, there are around 20 stairs you need to climb to get to the front of the hotel, not sure how that would work if it was snowing or slick.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Kaaawa, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I would like to move in to the Amsterdam Castle. Unusual statement, and one that might meet with some consternation on the part of the owners, but there it is. I was so impressed with what Susan and Manfred Phemister, the smart, funny owners, have accomplished with having taken on the behemoth of a building, creating (so far) their own gorgeous living area and two spacious yet cozy and inviting getaway suites from what once served a very utilitarian purpose. They continue to restore the former National Guard armory, which is now a certified historical landmark; many folks across the country are doing the same with these grand structures, saving their well-built architecture for the enjoyment of future generations.

I'm telling you--in traveling as often as my husband and I do across our fine America, I get awfully sick of the lack of beauty in most of our towns and small cities--strip mall after strip mall flying by the window makes me feel as though I could circle just one, or travel from here to North Dakota, and the towns would look the same: Wal Mart, Mickey D's; parking lot, parking lot, parking lot; Burger King, Dunkin Donuts, stop light; Lenscrafters, a sprinkling of independently owned karate shops or coffee places or yoga storefronts; parking lot, bank, street. Depressing. Interchangeable.

Places like the Castle offer more than an escape. They are a balm for the soul. They embody the hope that there are folks who yearn for more than sheet rock and pressboard. Oh, yeah--and the breakfast rocked.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Westlake Wing--clean, spacious, charming, comfortable, quiet, perfect. Great shower p...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed at the Amsterdam Castle for one night and wished that we could have stayed for a few more. The owners, the Phemisters, were so welcoming, and gave us a tour of the castle when we arrived. We stayed in the Officers' Wing and had a very large room. The room was very cool and unique because it had a castle feel, though we also had modern amenities such as an a/c, TV and DVD player. The king bed was extremely comfortable and our 4 year-old daughter loved staying in her own bed in the living room area. The owners cooked us a delicious breakfast in the morning, at the time we requested. I highly recommend staying in the castle! We will definitely return.

Room Tip: The Officers' wing has a cool balcony with a great view. You have the option of reserving an ad...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We had such great experience staying at the Amsterdam Castle! Our room on the first floor was fastastic - separate sitting area, bedroom in the turret (tower?) and beautiful spacious bathroom. The room was clean and bright and cool for our summer stay. Fun exploring the castle - great having an indoor gym! Really enjoyed hanging out in front (porch?) with a beautiful view and breeze. The southside of Amsterdam looks great - recently freshened up! Short walk to all of my favorite Amsterdam places - Armory Grill, La Cucina, and Southside Coffee shop. Hosts are very phriendly, phun, and phlexible - really phantastic! Breakfast was delicious. Great stay all around.
I am an Amsterdam native and travel back regularly - will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Well, they dont really have a fitness center, but they have a Gym with b-ball hoops and a very short...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Walden, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Amsterdam Castle is a wonderful B&B, in a city lacking outstanding accommodations. With only two suites, you have the full attention of your hosts. The suite we stayed in was beautifully restored, with furniture appropriate for a castle.(I suspect the other suite was equally outstanding.) Unlike in The Princess and The Pea, the bed was spectacularly comfortable.
Breakfast was enormous and delicious.
One caution- if you lack mobility, the long steps up to the castle would be daunting.
But well worth the effort!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

Nice neighborhood. A local convience store and 3 restaurants within walking distance. Not downtown... So if you are looking to walk to a "chain" store/restaurant or enjoy the sounds of traffic at night, this is not the place to stay. Very quiet, clean, and "green."

I loved learning about the history of these castles sprinkled about NY.

This was my first stay in a castle and a first at a bed-n-breakfast.

My 8 & 10 year olds will love it when I bring them on our next visit.

I live only 1.5hrs away but it was a nice weekend retreat and fun way to support my neighboring county!

• Stayed February 2012
Stamford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

I recently stayed here for the night with my husband. My sister and family stayed in the other room (there are only 2 rental rooms). It was the most unique lodging experience I have ever had! The owner is really nice and more than willing to tell you about the history of the building and even show you around - we got a full tour! It was a very cold night (early December) and they do not heat the entire place, but our room/bed were very toasty - there are space heaters and bed warmers which we actually turned down because it was so warm. I was a little apprehensive about staying in a castle because my thought at first would be that it is creepy/haunted but I was not creeped out at all. Despite the fact that it is chilly in the hallway it was otherwise cozy and not scary in the least. I would highly recommend it. there truly is nowhere else to stay in Amsterdam NY - if you are familiar with the area you know there isn't much for lodging there. I have family in this area and would definitely stay here again the next time I am in town and I am sure my sister would too - it was very cool to have the whole place to ourselves! There is a 10,000 sq foot gymnasium that the kids played in (scooters, bikes, balls, etc) and they had a blast. There was a pool table you can also use. Right across the street there is an excellent Italian restaurant that I also highly recommend. Overall it was a great, positive experience!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Amsterdam Castle B&B? Share your experiences!