“Not bad for vegetarians, too” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Not bad for vegetarians, too”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

My partner had the hoba beef, and I had the vegetables cooked the same way. The owner was friendly and spoke enough English to accommodate my vegetarian requests. Not too pricey. I'd recommend it.

Richmond
“Overated and a bit pricy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

There are signs everywhere  pointing you there with the lonely planet logo next to it. Us and a couple of other groups were brought to it by the review in the monkey planner. I don't know if it was just me but it felt a bit fishy. A bit like a tourist trap. The thing is the food was not bad but would not say incredible. I defined felt think they are overpriced tho and I think since the mention in the loneley planet book they have upped the price. Oh and they didn't bother asking us if we wanted tea or water and just gave us water while another table with non  caucasion people they gave them tea. The only upside is its proximity to the main road

Singapore, Singapore
“Catered to Tour Group”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

At first you would think this must be the best restaurant for Hida Beef in Takayama just judging by the long queue outside the restaurant, but on closer look you would have noticed that the people in the crowd seem to know each other well. Yes they were all from tour groups of various countries. As for our group of four free and easy travelers who had also joined the queue but ordered dishes from the menu quite different from the group travelers we were rather disappointed both with the slow service in taking our orders and and the long wait for our food to be served - I guess must be due to non standard preparation required. The kitchen preferred to take in the mass order from the group travelers. When the food finally arrived it took us less time to finish the food than the waiting time for the food which after all was nothing to boast about and comparable with the other restaurants in the same neighborhood but at a much higher price. Certainly not value for money for free and easy travelers. You would pay less with larger portions for the same quality food in other similar restaurants nearby. Stay away even if your tour guides recommends you. You could easily find another Hida Beef restaurant nearby.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Tasty food but inattentive service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

We had a very interesting dining experience here - most of the stuff we ate came ready to be cooked to our table. They then lit up a couple of live burners on our table and let the food cook live in front of us. Now this was great, except that we were asked to do a bunch of things by several staff members in broken English and we were thoroughly confused. The restaurant was full as there was a big group in there and it seemed like the staff had been overwhelmed a little bit. We had to keep repeating our requests as they kept forgetting what we had asked for.. Overall, the food tasted incredible - esp. the miso paste was simply awesome! But for the money we paid, I would have expected a very attentive service.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Italy
“expensive for a self cooking experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

paying 3000 yen just for self cooking (maybe I should say trying not to burn) 120g of hida beef + a miso soup is really expensive!
Honestly I have serious doubts that any local family would come here to eat traditional food!
Maybe this could be Takayama style of cooking the beef, but from my point of view is a very poor experience. And I still don't know how the hida beef taste!
Couldn't understand how this restaurant have such an high ranking!