“Very good hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Nagoya Castle

You added The Westin Nagoya Castle to your Saves list
The Westin Nagoya Castle
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3-19 Hinokuchicho, Nishi-ku, Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture 451-8551, Japan (Sakae / Fushimi / Nagoya Castle)   |
Ranked #20 of 156 Hotels / Ryokan in Nagoya
New York City, New York
“Very good hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Grand lobby and a nice bar on the ground floor. We had an SGP upgrade to a junior suite with a magnificent view of the castle. The room was spacious by Japanese standards, with a very nice bathroom (with a separate floor level shower). Wi-Fi reception in the room was perfect. They have a free shuttle bus from/to Nagoya JR Station but we never used it as it did not suit our schedule. Getting there by subway takes 15 minutes with a transfer and a 20-minute walk from the City Hall subway station, so one might as well take a walk of 25-30 minutes. They have the most attentive front desk staff. We had to leave early before they open for breakfast, so upon hearing this, the concierge offered to pack something edible for us to eat on the train. When we asked to get us some Japanese fare instead of continental breakfast items next time they called us a few times to make sure we like whatever limited supplies they had left at night allowed them to prepare for us. And we tried to be as polite with them as they were with us. Of course, if you have an attitude they wouldn't let you take your coffee with you back to your room. Nobody would.

Room Tip: Except for the castle there's not much to do in the area
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
nagoya_castle, Manager at The Westin Nagoya Castle, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for you staying at The Westin Nagoya Castle.

We truly appreciate for your positive feedback.

Guest satisfaction and positive comment such as yours always encourage our hotel associates.
We aim to make our best effort to deliver the personalized guest experience for their satisfaction.

We look forward to you visiting our hotel again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Korean first
Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

first time stay in this hotel with platinum member and didn't expect no executive lounge in this hotel. You can see the castle view easiler from your room window. Probably the best season to visit is Sakura season. Nearby is easy for jogging. The experience this time is the executive floor not sold, so let group tour to stay there. So noisy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
nagoya_castle, Manager at The Westin Nagoya Castle, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you very much for your stay at The Westin Nagoya Castle.
It is a rare case but a group sometimes stays in the executive floor. We are sorry for the noise, which annoyed you this time.
It would be superb if you look at Nagoya Castle surrounded by cherry blossom. It would be also fresh if you jog around the castle in the spring season. We hope you will have a chance to visit our hotel in such a wonderful season next time.
Looking forward to your visit again.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I loved this hotel, from the staff to the room everything was well thought out.. the hotel was being upgraded whilst I was staying there but I would have never known! The staff were so lovely and those who could not speak english very well would refer you to someone who could straight away (mostly the concierge) who went above and beyond the call of duty to help me book various trips. The castle view room was just lovely and my bed was facing the castle so at night you would have a full view of it. The club room was good (not that I have much experience with club rooms) but the breakfast was amazing with healthy food options (try the blueberry pancakes and smoothies).. overall I was very happy with my stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the castle - the higher the better! And join starwoods club too, you get h...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
nagoya_castle, Manager at The Westin Nagoya Castle, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for staying at The Westin Nagoya Castle.

We are most pleased to learn that you have satisfied with our services this time. As you pointed out, we should make our best effort to improve our associates’ language abilities in order to understand the needs of our important guests though the abilities vary from individuals. The view of castle differs between day and night. It has also a different look depends on the season. Next time you visit our hotel, you may enjoy the different atmosphere of Nagoya Castle from our guest room.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Oakland, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

There is one reason for a Western traveler to stay at this hotel -- proximity to the dubiously provenanced Nagoya Castle -- and a host of reasons not to. They are:

1. The staff speaks little or no English and while terribly apologetic -- I must have heard "I'm sorry" 50 times, and I'm not exaggerating -- is uninterested in anything resembling initiative or problem-solving.

They're also not terribly well-informed; the concierge, for example, couldn't tell me how much a taxi would cost me to get to the Nagoya Dome, which hosts, what, over a million visitors a year? (This is especially funny because at least some of the staff for the Yomiuri Giants was at the hotel at the same time I was.) She was also unable to direct me to local area stores or restaurants.

2. There is no wi-fi in the rooms and intermittent-to-non-existent wi-fi service throughout the rest of the hotel. The "executive library" -- as poorly stocked as any elite hang-out in the Starwood chain -- has wi-fi but keeps hours that would make a post office blush. If you ask for one, they'll give you a cable to connect to the internet in your room, but the internet service even then is balky and unreliable.

3. The hotel map on the SPG website makes it look like the City Hall subway stop is right there, next to the hotel. Actually, it's a 20-minute, uphill walk. There's another subway stop 15 minutes away, around a couple of corners. Getting directions to it if you're a non-Japanese speaker is problematic, and, unlike the City Hall stop, it's not on the useful Meijo Line.

4. Odd and irritating little policy: if you go to the "executive library," or downstairs for breakfast, and you want to take a cup of coffee back to your room, the staff will block your path and inform you that what you're doing is "impossible." You must order room service, you'll be told.

5. The "gym" is across the street, in a dingy basement with no elevator. To paraphrase Woody Allen: bad equipment, and not much of it. They also keep hours that would make the "executive library" blush: they don't open in the morning until 11 am.

6. There is little in the way of stores or services in the neighborhood, and while the hotel is well-stocked with shops offering ersatz, overpriced Japanese tourist items, there is no convenience store or shop selling anything useful for the harried traveler. If you don't bring it with you, you're not getting it.

7. The TV remote is complicated beyond belief; if you're tired after a long day of traveling and want to kick back and watch a little TV, good luck.

8. Forget about looking sharp for a meeting or a night on the town: no iron in the room.

Overall, this hotel is priced higher than many of the Japanese chains in Nagoya and provides worse service; unless you're a slave to the SPG loyalty program, you should give this one a miss.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Chonburi,Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My family comprises my 17 and 15-year-old sons, my wife and I stayed one night at this hotel on 20 July 2013. ( as a part of tour group from Thailand ) We were impressed with the view of the Nagoya Castle from our hotel window, which was so beautiful both in nightlight and early morning
sunshine. We have 2 twin bed rooms,adjacent to each other. The rooms were clean,spacious and well decorated.
The most out standing thing was the breakfast. There were variety of food,espectially Japanese food. All were delicious. Every members in our tour group loved it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Let me start off by saying the views of the castle are beautiful and worthy of a stay for that reason alone. BUT can Starwood get off their butts in Japan and build their own damn hotels!!! There should be disclaimers on ANY hotel in this group that was not built by them. Sheraton and Westin hotels ARE NOT and I repeat ARE NOT meant to be Japanese business hotels!!! It has done my head in this trip with the number of preowned, slap sticker or name plate here and there and call it a Sheraton/Westin. This only devalues your brand.

The hotel: front end staff were ok but not quite at Westin level. The lobby was nice but out dated. The room felt a little pokey and tiresome although I note they are just finishing their hotel refurbishment!!! Really???? Because it certainly wasn't in the executive level. Hang on, I could clearly see, through bad workmanship where the 2x2 bathroom that's right, literally a hole in the wall bathroom had been refurbished the join between the old bathtub and the new all plastic fantastic floor to ceiling bathroom had been joined, or in our rooms case where no matter how much silicone was used the join was never going to happen. Quality control? Who cares.

Now I booked two rooms, one room the shower was broken and the water gushed out of a split hose, somehow not picked up by the hotel. Both rooms had the most unusual unit shower head where instead, like any shower head used anywhere else in the world , went off on a 90 angle..... sideways. I literally had to stand there and think why? Why would anyone want a shower head that goes off on this angle. It made no sense!!

The Donna cover would not be regarded as anything Westin. It was the heaviest cover I have had to sleep under. The bed certainly wasn't "heavenly". The executive floor lounge closes at an early 7pm and opens at 8am.... The breakfast was not memorable and I only ate there an hour ago.

Now it seems I have bagged the hotel, and I have and rightly so. But going back to my original point, the view of the castle is beautiful. Just don't pay any more than normal Japanese business hotel rates for this hotel. Paying for the Westin name is an absolute rip off. Sheraton MUST address the glaring inconsistency of their brand throughout the country. So far ALL ANA hotels I have stayed in have have been nicer, cleaner, newer, better located, more professional and cheaper than ANY rebadged tired, outdated wannabe Sheraton/Westin I have stayed in whilst in Japan. Read reviews carefully before staying as disappointment is a real possibility.

Room Tip: Castle view only
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I arrived after midnight having just finished a conference in Tokyo and taking a late Shinkansen down here. I was travelling and staying with a colleague but the check-in people mucked that up somehow and gave us a double room! We sorted that out eventually but it took some time and didn’t end up sleeping until 3.30am which made for a very tiring work day out in the forest on Saturday!

The second room we had actually had a much better view of Nagoya Castle but I didn't really realise that until the next morning as the lights were out at the castle so was shrouded in darkness! The night nights really showed it in all its glory though!

I thought the room service menu was a little sparse so opted for dining at one of the restaurants. Firstly, I looked at the buffet at Boulogne but the buffet didn't look that appetising and the a la carte offered little more so I went to Ryujo in the basement level. The decor was sumptuous here but again, the menu wasn't that comprehensive and decided on pork buns and fried noodles which were beautifully presented and absolutely delicious!

The hotel was fairly basic and room on the smallish side but this is fairly typical for Japan. All the facilities were there and the bath/shower was great with excellent water pressure from the shower.

I had a three night stay here and the tariff varied but I think the view directly opposite Nagoya Castle is enough to convince me to stay here in the future.

The window is hinged in the centre so it opens up very wide enabling unimpeded photos of the castle but the catches can be a little tricky and a bit tight. One downside of the opening window though is it allows mossies and sand-flies in and was battling them on my first night! After that, I learnt and kept the window closed!

It's a bit of a hike to the nearest subway station, we dawdled and it took around 20 minutes.

The hotel offers an hourly shuttle service to the Shinkansen station but the last pickup at the JR station is 8pm and we didn't arrive until after midnight but I intend taking this to the station for my return trip to Tokyo this afternoon.

Nagoya is a very pleasant city to amble around away from the hubbub of Tokyo so this hotel is in a pleasant and convenient location.

The Executive Lounge is on the small side but I didn't use this apart from going down there to get an English newspaper.

The breakfast had frozen mango, lychees, grapes and pineapple and at first, I thought this was just so they could prepare this fruit the night before but the I fund this to be really refreshing and would be great if other hotels followed suit!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Westin Nagoya Castle? Share your experiences!