“Staff are so helpful” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 stars 399 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
“Staff are so helpful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

On my previous trips to Nagoya I stayed at the hotel at Nagoya station. This time I stayed at this hotel which is located near Sakae subway station, which I found quite convenient and not so crowded. There are so many shops and restaurants near this hotel. The roomis so very clean. But what impressed me most was the friendliness and helpfullness of the hotel staff. They would try to answer all your questions about directions, openning times etc. Great for foreign visitors.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Manila
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed late December 2012 in two Superior Rooms. My mistake is I did not research long enough for a good hotel when I booked online.

Location is bad... surrounding areas are dirty and gave us a feeling of discomfort when we walked outside. Hotel is old and must be renovated. Rooms are small especially the bathrooms. Television had 2 English channels only which left us with no choice but to keep on paying to watch English movies.

First of 2 major turn offs. I wasn't aware that breakfast is served only up to 9:00am (there was a small sign at the entrance which I didn't notice). When I came down at 8:30 on December 30, I wanted to relax, enjoy a cup of coffee first and read the paper. An old man (he was the only male server that time) approached me at 8:40 and asked if I will have breakfast. I said yes. He said I should start eating because they are only open up to 9am (while tapping at his watch). I wanted to slap him with the newspaper. How rude can you be? And what decent hotel will serve breakfast until 9am only? Anyway, guests kept on coming up to almost 10am and they didn't have much of a choice but to accommodate them. But each time someone would walk in, this old waiter will look at his watch... and keep on looking at his watch every now and then. He was so ANNOYING!

Second major turn off, our family went to the Japanese restaurant at 7:20pm on the second floor on our last night. Another old man was at the reception and told me that they're full. I said we can wait. He repeated that they're full (almost gave me a feeling that we're not wanted there). I informed him that we're in-house guests of the hotel and we can wait in our room. That was the only time he checked and told us to return at 8:30. At 8:00 he phoned us in the room and said a table is ready for us. We immediately went down because we were starving. Guess what? The restaurant was half empty (you can not see inside when you're at the front door).

Another thing, almost all of the staff are incompetent in the English language. It's a struggle trying to communicate with them.

I suggest management should seriously change... change their old senior citizen looking staff to younger, more energetic and well versed in English employees. And renovate the hotel!

Overall? I will definitely NOT recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

I saw a ghost 3 times in my room paranormal activity and I hear I'm not the first one legen says a girl from that room went missing an never found she usually smiles at guest before trying to take them with her scary stuff

• Stayed March 2012
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

This is a nice big hotel in a good location in Nagoya. However there are some basic things missing. Manly, there are no wireless in the rooms. Imagine now a hotel with around 300 rooms+ having all guest cramping into the lobby to use the internet....not to say the noise of everyone talking on skype at the same time. Bar is very overpriced ($10 for a cup of coffee). Lounge area not big enough for this size hotel.

On the other hand, hotel is clean, service is really good like most places in Japan (note that I come from Australia where service are of lower standards compared to Japan). Breakfast is good too, with good variety.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Good point : good location. Fair rate for a Japanese hotel.
Otherwise, room really small. Bathroom clean but shabby. Only 10 or so TV channels, all of them Japanese but CNN.
Good service, but overpriced bar.
I don't recommend this place for leisure though (but who would like to go to Nagoya for fun in the first place?? :) )

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Nagoya, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed one night combined with 2 day training in this hotel. Service is close to perfect. Large lobby which well decorated. Stayed in single room and no complains. Be aware roomsize is smaller than western brand hotel. Bathroom though is well sized

Room Tip: Single room can be experienced as small for several foreign visitors
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bay Area, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My Japanese colleagues booked this hotel as the only available one due to a popular concert in town filling up the hotels.
It is a basic hotel (with western size rooms). My room was in need of a remodel, the beds were hard and uncomfortable, and one could hear the goings on in the adjacent room.
Can't say that I would look forward to returning there, but I don't know much about the other choices available.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Nagoya Tokyu Hotel? Share your experiences!