“Environmental-friendly hotel chain” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Super Hotel Nagoya-ekimae

You added Super Hotel Nagoya-ekimae to your Saves list
Super Hotel Nagoya-ekimae
2-12-6 Kamejima, Nakamura-ku, Nagoya 453-0013, Aichi Prefecture (Nagoya Station)   |
Ranked #55 of 158 Hotels / Ryokan in Nagoya
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Vancouver, Canada
“Environmental-friendly hotel chain”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

The hotel was very near JR/Shinkansen/Subway station but this giant station was difficult to navigate.There were signs but I still couldn't get my bearing.There were too many shops and restaurants .I always ended up at a restaurant or a shop or a department store instead of the right exit.
(By the way,the department stores were fabulous,on the same levels as New York's Macy and Paris' La Fayette and Printempt,maybe even higher.)
Finally,I got to the taxi stand.The taxi-driver said the hotel was so close that I did not need a taxi.What honesty! Actually I didn't mind taking a taxi because I had a lot of luggage and was very tired.It was about 11:30pm.He pointed me in a certain direction and told me to look for a big yellow neon sign.
On I went.After 10 minutes,I still couldn't see the big yellow sign.I asked some teenagers.The first one said he didn't know and turned away.The second one said I was right in front of it and said "no problem" in Chinese.(How did he know I speak Chinese?)
I looked up.The hotel sign was not lit.Later on,I found out it was to conserve electricity.
After I checked in,the front desk was closed.When I entered the tiny room,it absolutely reeked of cigarettes.When I made the reservation online,I picked "smoking" over "non-smoking" because there were more "smoking" rooms,thus increasing my chance of getting a room,never expecting that people would have death wishes so big at this day and age.At that point I regretted my stupid strategy immensely.The front desk was close and I was so tired that I drifted to sleep.
The next day,I woke up with a nasty cough.On the elevator wall was a poster,as if mocking me,which said that the hotel was made of a building material that was both environmental and odor-absorbing.
In fact,in the lobby,there was a poster of a sort of environmental initiative with a long lists of things the hotel has done to protect mother earth.
The service was one of cold courtesy.No one was rude.But,mind you,I was almost scammed by someone with a smile.I went to the pharmacy to buy medicine for my cough.I said I preferred cough syrup.He handed me the medicine and charged me 1980 yen(about US 22).After I left,I found out it was pills.I was right next to another pharmacy so I went inside and bought the cough syrup I wanted.(So it wasn't my Japanese.) I went back to the first pharmacy and asked for a refund.He asked for my receipt.I showed him my receipt but he said that was not it. I said I was here 5 minutes ago and I remembered his face.(In English).He said,"how about spray?" in Japanese.Then,it dawned on me that they didn't carry any cough syrup.I said I didn't want spray and I showed him the cough syrup I bought at another store.I got a bit emotional and yelled "you rip-off" in Japanese.At that point,he took another look at my receipt and said it was the right receipt and handed me the money. I looked at the receipt.It was the right one.Why did he say it was not before?
Gentle reminder:wear a mask when you are under the weather
Super hotel is a big chain which boasts of environmental practices such as LED lights and recycled toilet papers.They are cheap and near the stations.But service was a bare minimum.(See my other post about another Japanese hotel which costs the same but has better service.)
I once had the honor to go to a Japanese hotel where the staff came out to greet you and knocked at your door when dinner-included-was ready.Sadly,these kinds of hotels cater to local clientele.The service of Super hotel maybe OK in some countries but in the Japanese ladder,they are near the bottom rung.
Breakfast has limited selections.
Stay here if 1)you are a disciple of Al Gore or/and
2)you are too tired/lazy to venture outside the vicinity of the station.
Every morning,in the lobby,the staff recite something in unison.I guess it is allegiance to the company and customers.I am impressed that these Confucious values are upheld when almost everywhere individualism is touted.

Room Tip: If given the choice,you should ask for a
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night during a trip round Japan. We paid ¥8,180/night for an en suite double room (12m²) including tax and breakfast.

The Super Hotel chain offer basic, budget rooms. For some reason you get a single bunk above the double bed. Our room also featured a fridge, desk and LAN internet access. As to be expected the room was very small, as was the bathroom (which was modular style ie all one unit). Less expected was the fact that our room overlooked some kind of narrow inner courtyard so we had virtually no daylight in our room. We stayed in another Super Hotel later on our trip, which had bigger rooms (and daylight!)

The hotel was located close to the station (about five minutes’ walk). The included breakfast was a buffet of both Japanese and Western options (fairly basic though - salad, rice, breads etc; also there was no fruit juice - only squash).

A nice touch is the selection of pillows in reception you can choose from; if you do want to have one of these in addition to the ones in your room, grab one as soon as you check in as they do all get taken quite quickly.

For the price this was an OK place to stay -- if you just want somewhere clean and functional to sleep for one night, it's more than adequate. I wouldn't suggest staying here more than one night though, not least because even if you're here for several nights you have no access to your room between 10.00am and 3.00pm.

Nagoya itself is not a great tourist destination. We stayed here to break our journey, and took the opportunity to visit the castle in nearby Inuyama.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Osaka, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

My GF loves staying different accommodations like every other woman. So we decided to spend a night in this one of the considerably new hotel chain in Japan.

To my surprise, it was a good one.
The price was reasonable and its just 10 mins walking from the main station of Nagoya, but not in a sketchy district. The hotel had good services like renting out different pillows and giving you packed chips in exchange of disposable toothbrush/shampoos in the room (they encourage that u bring ur own stuff).

Only one concern was that the room was small - the all-in-one bathroom as well. If you are used to North American/European standard of hotel rooms, you might think it's too small. But if you are used to the Japanese standard, it's just normal and definitely a go.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

We booked the Super Hotel for two nights as a break between Japanese style rooms in Kyoto and Tokyo. As such we took two rooms for two people each. Booking through the website was a breeze.

On arrival we found that both people on duty spoke acceptable to quite good English even though the website specifically warned that travelor should expect no English. The rooms were as small es expected but our two person rooms actually contained a double bed plus a single bunk bed above. Since we were travelling as 2 adults and 2 kids that didn't help up but it was a nice touch. Breakfast was very nice; nothing fancy but plenty of good breads, yogurt, a good salad, and coffee.

I would definitely stay at a Super Hotel again.

• Liked — Price and location combo
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Super Hotel Nagoya-ekimae? Share your experiences!