“extremely helpful staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tsuchiya Hotel

Tsuchiya Hotel
You added Tsuchiya Hotel to your Saves list
Tsuchiya Hotel
2-16-2 Noritake, Nakamura-ku, Nagoya 453-0014, Aichi Prefecture (Nagoya Station)   |
Ranked #5 of 16 B&Bs / Inns in Nagoya
Fujisawa, Japan
“extremely helpful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

This is the place to stay if you want to experience old fashioned ryokan (bed and breakfast) style hospitality in big city Nagoya. I stayed 2 nights with my very elderly parents, husband and child, in a suite with both western and Japanese style rooms, and was extremely grateful for the 'out of this world' personal assistance we got, as you will see if you read to the end. But first, the basics. The hotel is very close to the station, the taxi gets you there on the minimum fare, which is 480 yen for small (kogata) taxis. We never walked, but the actual walking distance is less than 500 meters from the JR Highway bus center crossing. They gave us rides on their van any time we wanted to get to Nagoya station. Most taxi drivers knew where the hotel was, but it's also marked on the map that the Nagoya Tourist Info people give you. Ask the Tourist Info staff to mark the hotel for you so you can show the taxi driver. There is free wi-fi in the lobby, no need for password, easy to connect to. Also a desktop available. A/C in the rooms was very good and quiet. We had our own in-suite bathroom, complete with a Japanese bathtub that you'd find in a typical Japanese home. The hotel is adjacent to a Japanese shrine and playground if you want to take a quick morning walk, and is in a quiet area away from the sounds of traffic. Crisp sheets, linens, and yukata (Japanese sleepwear) were changed every day. We opted to have only breakfast included in our stay, and it was typical Japanese breakfast-fare with one local dish. There was a traditional communal bath on the ground floor, one for men, one for women. The women's bath had an outdoor portion (roten buro) with a tub for one person. There was a karaoke bar in the hotel that we didn't try.
I chose this hotel because my parents wanted western style beds and my family wanted a traditional futon experience. However, the staff turned out to be a godsend. The first night, I needed help getting dressed in a yukata in a hurry, and they sent a staff member who helped dress me. The next day, we left a wallet in a taxi, but didn't remember the name of the taxi company, and the staff called every taxi company in the phone book for us as well as the police. One of those turned out to be a hit, and we were able to get the wallet back two hours later. That evening, my mom who has dementia went wandering into the halls 3 times while I was out, and each time, the staff went looking for her and brought her back to our room. My dad had a sprained swollen wrist, and when I asked where the nearest pharmacy was, they provided us with an adhesive cold plaster. My dad is on a low-salt diet, and when I mentioned this, they made us miso soup and rice porridge with less salt for breakfast. My dad is unable to sit Japanese style, so they delivered a low stool to our room, and also set up breakfast at a table for us in the morning so we didn't have to sit on the tatami. All this emergency and time consuming individualized service delivered graciously and with a smile! I tried to tip them several times, but they said it was their job and refused.
I'm really happy we stayed there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

The Hotel is located a short walk from Nagoya train station in a quiet neighborhood.

Staff were very friendly and housekeeping was always spotless.

The room we had was gigantic, easily the largest Japanese style room we had in our entire holiday. It had a very large sleeping/living area with separate dining room, toilet and bathroom. The bathroom is set up for a traditional Japanese bathing experience and there are public baths which are very well stocked and maintained, but often crowded.

Room rate was expensive, but it was during the Formula One Grand Prix, so less popular times might have cheaper rates.

There are plenty of places to eat a block or two away, including a very cheap Ramen joint that is excellent.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
lovet-travel11
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

This hotel is very close to Nagoya train station (4 blocks away, but towards the opposite side of Nagoya city center). It is a "concrete" ryokan, which means you have a tranditional Japanese room in a concrete building, not a wooden building.

The whole hotel is very clean. The hot bath is wonderful. It is the best way to relax after a day. The Japanese breakfast is a must-try. Old Japanese ladies prepared colorful food and presented the food in a very interesting manner.

The hotel staffs are very helpful, although their English skill is very limited. I asked them to help me to find a buffet restaurant nearby. They made several phone calls immediately, and managed to find a very good one for me.

The hotel has one computer in the lobby with Internet access, free of charge to guests. But you may need to queue to use it.

If you want to stay there, you should better to get a hand-writing copy of the hotel's map. The hotel will send you by email. Without that map, you may have difficulty to locate the hotel.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Tsuchiya Hotel? Share your experiences!