“A beautiful vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Aqaba
Bucuresti
“A beautiful vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

The hotel is excellent. It is placed right in the center, near Paljor public and commercial area. Rooms are clean and spacious. Missing toilet brush. We could not use the hotel's Internet network. Public beaches should be avoided, it is populated with homeless people.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed at Mina Hotel for one night and enjoyed my time in Aqaba and at the hotel.

The good points were:
* Great location - just a short walk from the waterfront and various shops.
* Fantastic views from the bar and breakfast area on the top floor - you can see right across the town and down the Gulf of Aqaba towards Israel and Egypt. The beer was pretty expensive (standard for Jordan), but cheaper than in Amman. Pool table also a bonus.
* The bedroom had plenty of space, a safe and comfortable beds.
* The food (and puddings) were excellent for dinner. Breakfast was OK.
* The free wifi in the lobby was fairly speedy.

The main downside I experienced was with the en-suite bathroom. The fittings for the shower were very fragile, meaning that the water pressure caused the shower to squirt out everywhere and flood the bathroom - not economical in such a dry country. Otherwise the lifts were also very slow - even slower than some of the other hotels I stayed at in Jordan!

I'd definitely recommend Aqaba to others and the Mina Hotel.

Room Tip: I was on the sixth floor with a great view of the town. However, if you ask for a room with a sea vi...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Amman, Jordan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

this was of all the hotels in Jordan far the best, service with a smile, 24/7 adaptation.price in bar is normal, though quality of drinks and service worth it! to relax after touring through Jordan, best choice, nearby city centre

Room Tip: the room are wonderful with a nice pool view at first floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Jerusalem, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I had searched very very hard for the right hotel within my budget...and ended up settling for Hotel Mina....ok..it was not perfect...but...the staff were so friendly...and helpful...and my friend and I were so delighted to have a lovely clean room with the most amazing view!! We enjoyed the pool..although we were disappointed that the hot tub was not working..but pool was clean and a good size. We also were a little upset to not have internet connection..but understood that it was the network provider, not the fault of the hotel.
The hotel is in a great location, with shops and many restaurants close by and walking distance to the Old City and the Red Sea..
Our room was very clean and we were very happy...
If we had any problems..staff were very kind and helpful
The breakfast was impressive, with a large buffet of many types of food for everyone...
So...yes...there may be areas where this hotel could make improvements...but all in all...we enjoyed our stay...and if I am in Aqaba again...and could have the same room...I would be most happy to stay there again...

Room Tip: 6th floor is great...with balcony..looking out to the sea
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This hotel has a great location in the center of Aqaba , the rooms are spacious and clean, some with great view to the sea and nice balcony.
We stayed at the end of August and the rates were reasonable for the quality this hotel has to offer.
The staff were friendly and courteous and and when I inquired at front desk about the distance to the airport,

overall was a great stay.

Room Tip: rooms at the 7th floor have a nice sea view and quieter
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Irbid, Jordan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I chose this hotel based on reviews I read on-line. This hotel is being "refurbished", so be very careful to view the actual room that you will be staying in. At the time of our stay, the rooms were listed on-line for $45, the reviews suggested paying the additional $10 to upgrade to "deluxe" For a total of $55. When my husband went into the hotel, he was told 55 JDS, but they reduced the price to 50 JDS, with breakfast (breakfast is a typical amenity and it was already listed as inclusive). When I requested a room on the 6th or 7th floor, as suggested in another review, I was told that we could not have one of those rooms at the price we were paying (we were paying in JDS rather than Dollars, already paying just under one and a half times the list price!) . We were assigned a room on the fifth floor, furniture was very worn, but we had three double beds with crisp white sheets, good enough for me after a long day in Petra.

The power for the room had been off, so we figured it would take a little while for the room to cool off. The room never cooled down, they sent someone to check, suggesting we give it more time. After around 11pm,we requested another room and were obliged. Now sent to the fourth floor, the a/c was nice and cold, but this room obviously had been setting for a very long time, the sheets were thread-bare and dinghy gray, disgusting carpet and broken furniture. The bathroom was abysmal, luckily my husband and children had already showered in the previous room.

I decided that I was not going to settle for this, they had presented as though they were giving us a deal, though they had actually charged us considerably more. I went to the front desk and spoke with the manager. I politely told him that I chose this hotel based on reviews and that he needed to be aware that I would be posting my own review. He quickly responded, by "upgrading" us to the 6th floor.

Once there, the room was very nicely decorated, obviously very recently refurbished. But, guess what?! The a/c didn't work! By this point we were exhausted and feeling like royal pains, so we tried to make the best of it (and afraid of what we might end up with if we moved again). My husband ended up sleeping on the floor in front of the vent, to make it bearable. Next day, we requested several times for the A/C to be checked, to no avail. We opted to leave our room key in the sensor that supplied the power to the room, so the air could run continually. The front desk would then send someone to open the room for each re-entry, since we only had the one key. Eventually, when the same evening manager came on duty, he had the foresight to provide us with an additional key!

Good things that I have to say: 1). It really is a great location. 2) I was impressed with the breakfast buffet presentation and the professionalism of the staff in the dining room 3). There is potential for this hotel.

My husband is originally from this country and fellow countrymen are typically not as accommodating to him as they are to me (being a visitor). I think the issue of the price and original room assignment would not have occurred if I had been the one to originally go into the hotel to get a room. Definitely recommend booking on-line. For my next visit, I will be staying next door at the DoubleTree, tired of the quality of "budget" hotels in Jordan. Would love for someone to prove me wrong!

Room Tip: Book on-line. Check room for cleanliness and working a/c before accepting.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Aqaba
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Very good location, reception very good this lady Hala very kind and helpful, very nice woman. very slippery bathroom floor. poor breakfast for people from Europe. Hot water in shower very slow. Wifi in lobby and rooms too but slow

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to Mina Hotel? Share your experiences!