The Marina Plaza is a really nice place. The rooms are nice and so are the bathrooms (spotless clean goes without saying), the staff are all smiling, friendly and serviceminded, the breakfeast buffet is enormous (and included), the swimmingpools are nice, and so are the beachclub (Don't worry that its not on the actual premisis - it's 100 m. or so).
There are however 3 things. 1 minor, and then 2 that was not satisfactory at all.
First the minor thing - THE FOOD QUALITY (NOT THE BREAKFEST)
We felt that it could have been better, considering what they are charging for it. Our basis is of course a little narrow, since we only had some sandwiches at the pool, and cake and coffee in the restaurant. The sandwiches are perhaps excusable, as you get enough for two persons in one order, and that you are never that hungry in the heat. Soft drinks and water at the poolside is ok. But after all, I guess they have to make their money on something..
Now the more serious things:
1) INTERNET. They charge 3 JD/HOUR!! for their wireless, and 6JD/HOUR (€6,5)!! for the internetcafe. I think that is tremendously overprized, and unreasonable, as this should be a service in a luxury resort. Especially also since they advertise free wireless on their website and in their welcome folder in the room. I could agree to pay a little for the internet cafe - but certainly not 6 JD/hour.
2) TAXISERVICE. The standard taxifare between downtown Aqaba and Marina Plaza is around 5-7 JD (€5,5-7,7), but if you ask the front desk to call you a taxi, they charge 20 JD (€22)!! This makes you makes you feel grossly ripped off. Calling a taxi is a standard hotel front desk service, and beeing charged 2-300% the fare for the service is not what you would expect from a 4 star establishment!!
Now, the hotel of course has a free bus service 5 times a day to the city centre, but that does not justify the above, if you need to go on different times than the bus schedule, or the bus might be full.
These 3 tings beeing said, I dont tink they outweigh, that the Marina Plaza is a quality resort, where you get a solid luxury resort experience for less money than its 5 star neighbours, Mövenpick and Radisson.
However I would really like to the management to comment on my experiences regarding Internet and taxiservice, whether they are official policy (and if so the reason for this), or if we have maybe fallen victim to rogue front desk staff.. - So management....?
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Marina Plaza
- Marina Plaza Aqaba
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A beautifull 4 star hotel located in Tala Bay Marina, 15km south of Aqaba city in Jordan. Enjoying a private beach club on the Red Sea, swimming pool, restaurant, spa with massage, kid's playground, it is a great place to stay and enjoy the Red Sea Beach and Sun or while visiting the sightseeing of Jordan. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda, Expedia, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Otel, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Marina Plaza Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.