“Awful experience” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Amherst
Hooksett, New Hampshire, United States
“Awful experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Staff was completely useless and extremely rude. Every time we asked to be taken somewhere (which by the way they tell you the shuttle takes you anywhere you want to to within range) we got rude looks and were treated like we were completely inconveniencing them. Not to mention all there drivers were terrible drivers. Then they refused to take us to the airport when we wanted to go. They never fully made our beds or gave us enough towels. There were bugs in the bathroom. There is also no complimentary breakfast and the restaurant there is really expensive. Definitely do not want to go back there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Marriott-Mgt, General Manager at Buffalo Marriott Niagara, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay and apologize for any inconvenience that occurred. The shuttle that the hotels provides is a courtesy shuttle which is mainly used to transport guests to and from the airport at designated times. When the staff has time they try to provide guests transportation to other places within a 4 mile radius. But unfortunately, if there is a request for airport transportation there may not be availability for transportation to other locations. We do use and recommend the airport taxi service which can accommodate guest needs as well.

Thank you for your comments and we hope this clears up any confusion regarding the courtesy shuttle. Have a great day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Overall positive experience. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating (which was different than the phone conversations I had with them). The hotel was well maintained and it was very quiet on my floor. The food at this hotel is excellent, and the bar staff was friendly and prices of drinks surprisingly reasonable. I also appreciated having a car rental agency on location as I flew in for a conference and rented a car for the day. I would return to this hotel on my next trip to Buffalo.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Marriott-Mgt, General Manager at Buffalo Marriott Niagara, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for all of the positive feedback which we will be sharing with our staff. We are glad we had a chance to enjoy our hotel. Have a great day.
London, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I didn't love my three night experience at the Marriott Buffalo Niagara, with it's $140 + tax price tag. While the hotel isn't a dump, there is no justification for the high cost.

Noise
I could hear every little sound from the hallway thanks to the one inch crack beneath my room door. It made for three sleep-disturbed nights.

Cleanliness
The housekeeping staff need a refresher on daily housekeeping chores. While my bed was made each day & dirty towels removed, that was the extent of the housekeeping services. The sink & shower were definitely not touched as hair, toothpaste and soap scum from the morning use was still evident when I returned to my room each evening.

Wi-Fi
As a business traveler, it was extremely frustrating to deal with such spotty, intermittent wi-fi service. While free, it's TERRIBLE. It was impossible to maintain a connection at a decent speed to conduct any work or conversations whatsoever.

Mattress & Pillows
I may be alone in the fact I prefer not to sleep on slightly softened rocks, but the mattress and pillows were extremely firm for my liking. My face and hip bones actually hurt after trying to sleep on my side for ten minutes. I'm sure this contributed to my sleep-deprived nights along with the hallway noise.

Location
Side of a highway/extremely busy road with nothing to walk to nearby. No scenery, trees or nice ambiance.

The one positive I can think of about this hotel is the shuttle driver, Trevor (I think). He was very helpful in assisting my colleagues & I when in need of a restaurant each night for dinner. We were often set astray by the ladies at the front desk who kept recommending these dingy, hole-in-the-wall restaurants in strip malls. I mean, I know it's Buffalo, but still - there have to be at least one or two classy restaurants to eat in! Anyways, thanks Trevor for your shuttle services!

Room Tip: Perhaps a room at the very end of the hallway would help reduce noise from the hallway as most peopl...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay and we apologize for you not being satisfied. Have a great day.
Markham, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed for one night after shopping in the area during the Victoria Day weekend. We are Marriott fans, so we expected this to be good, and the hotel itself is good. The room was clean, the beds were clean with the mattresses sealed to prevent bed bugs, the beds were comfortable. Our requests, though not guaranteed, was honored which were feather-free and high level floor away from elevators. Upon arrival, we were greeted warmly by the staff and everything went smoothly.

The hotel bar and grill served average (subpar for a Marriott though) fare at expensive prices. The mussels were so overcooked they might as well be rubber. The restaurant staff wasn't the most courteous and did not even bring enough cutlery for the 3 of us, even though the restaurant was practically empty and they were not busy.

Another gripe we had was the free WIFI - it was cut off the next morning before 6am, even though our checkout time was noon. We did tell the front desk when we checked out, and they said it wasn't normal to have that happen, but it did for us, and we only had free WIFI for the night we stayed. It wasn't that big a deal but it felt stingy to cut off the guests' WIFI like that before they even checked out.

Overall, the hotel itself is nice, but I can't say this is the best Marriott we stayed in.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Marriott-Mgt, General Manager at Buffalo Marriott Niagara, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for all of the posive feedback and we apologize for the issue with the WiFi. If at anytime you have a concern there is an 800 number provided in the room in which the vendor can diagnose the problem immmediately. We appreciate your time and your business. Have a great day.
Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed the Saturday June 1, 2013. Booked via Hot Wire and got a room for $65 CDN, taxes included and that was about what it was worth.

1) Check-in was fine.
2) Hallway to room spelled a bit funky, like the place didn't have proper air-flow.
3) Our room was fine and looked clean.
4) The fridge was making a humming sound, we quickly rectified that by unplugging it. We were staying one night and it was an easy fix - no big deal.
5) Air Conditioning: worked but there is a vibration coming from the wall, again, staying only one night and it didn't bother us so badly that we had to make an issue out of it but, I would recommend it get looked into (same with the fridge and the hallway muskiness)

Main issue: the doors - they SLAM! Also; we could hear the people in the room opposite our room. It didn't help that they were being completely inconsiderate by going in and out of their room constantly and letting the door slam. In hindsight, I should have called the front desk - their inconsideratation is not the fault of the hotel but the fact that the doors SLAM so loudly, is.

Check-out: we were not asked how our stay was - we were told your account is paid so you're good to go! We said we needed a receipt and were given one. Normally when I stay at a hotel upon check-out I am asked how everything was - this is an opportunity for front line staff to receive feedback from their customers who, I assume, they want to keep.

Purchase your room on Hot Wire if you're staying - it's not worth the regular rate and bring ear plugs.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the posive feedback and we apologize for the doors slamming by other guests. For safety reasons Marriott calls for doors to close from a 90 degree angle which makes sure that the door closes all the way. Sometimes people get busy or have their hands full so this helps ensure that the door closes. We appreciate your feedback and your business. Have a great day.
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Wait until you see this newly renovated hotel! We stayed here years ago and have just seen the newly renovated hotel. WOW! The lobby looks like a "big city" hotel with a Starbucks and a lovely restaurant and bar. No free breakfast - husband paid for his and said it was excellent. Also, they have a breakfast buffet with made-to-order omelets, fresh fruit and lots of other choices. Big workout room with treadmills and ellipticles with tvs on them. Nice indoor and outdoor pool with a large patio area. Rooms and nicely done and very clean. Staff is impressively helpful. The fellow who took the bags to our room was so proud of where he worked by telling me of all the changes to the hotel. Very friendly and helpful staff in all areas. The COOLEST thing is the barrels for people to discard unwanted clothing items. Sorry Canadians but it's known that "old " clothes are discarded so the new US purchased ones can be worn home. What a great idea for a hotel to make sure unwanted items can be donated to needy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for all of the positve feedback which we will be sharing with our staff. The donation barrels was an idea from one of the managers and has really taken off. Thanks for noticing and thank you for your business. Have a great day.
ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We just got back from another great stay at the Marriott. Service was wonderful. Check in was prompt and courteous. Stayed in a King room, standard on the fifth floor. Room was quiet, comfortable, and extremely clean. The Marriott NEVER disappoints. We booked our room last minute and got a great deal for 79.00 USD on Hotwire. The front desk was very polite to open up the gift shop after hours to accommodate my request for some snacks. In the morning, we had a fabulous brunch for 13.00 each, which includes: cereal, toast, bagels, fruit, yogurts, meat (bacon, sausage) eggs, omelette bar and includes coffee and juice. The charming "loud-mouthed Italian" lady working the omelette bar was amusing and fun (she called herself that a few times) and all staff were charming, accommodating and kind. I personally think the uniforms should be improved and that some of the workers uniforms appeared wrinkled or not worn properly, etc-so that is my only advice to mgmt-I am picky as I used to be a concierge so I notice these things, I know not everone does but uniform that is clean, pressed and not untucked counts!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for all of the positve feedback which we will be sharing with our staff. We appreciate your business. Have a great day.

Been to Buffalo Marriott Niagara? Share your experiences!