“BAIT & SWITCH!!!!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 17 hotels in Amherst
North Providence, Rhode Island
“BAIT & SWITCH!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

My husband and I made a trip to Niagara Falls in July. Being the 4th, most hotels motels Inns etc were full up or had jacked up their prices for this area...after doing much research on reviews for Motel 6, we decided to book the one in Amherst NY @ 4400 Maple Dr. I called this hotel DIRECTLY and told them for medical reasons I needed a fridge in my room, I was assured that was no problem! Upon arriving and checking into our room noticing NO FRIDGE I went to front desk directly, and was told there are only 4 fridges for the whole hotel! Someone was checking out and that refrigerator would be brought to our room by 3:30. We went for a ride to explore the area and returned at 4:30...STILL no fridge in room so back to front desk to be told the people decided to stay and we would NOT get the promised necessary fridge, instead they would be able to put medicine in employees fridge!!!!!!!! Would you trust your life line medicine in an employees lounge fridge???????? I was not willing to take that chance! I called Motel 6 Guest Relations Number spoke to a Ken K, who pretty much passed this problem back to this hotels front desk. Being fourth of July there are no more hotels with REASONABLE rates in this area...so we are stuck here But know this...if this medicine goes bad in the cooler we have and is used because there is no way to tell it has gone bad, SOMEONE will wish they had NOT played this BAIT & SWITCH game just to get a booking! In addition the water pipes in bathroom can be shook on the wall and shower hear, faucet and water spout shake in your hand, right in the wall! There was pubic hair on side of tub (which I cleaned off with toilet paper) This place is a RIP OFF...no hairdryer, no coffee in room or lobby (only in morning) no iron, no board and NO NECESSARY REFRIDGERATOR!!!!!!

Room Tip: Too Cold, Too Dark
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

72 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Hamilton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Motel 6 is going Green...or at least that's what the pamphlet on the bedside table said. By going green they obviously are referring to the potent smell of pot in the room when we first entered it....or maybe going green refers to not having a fridge, hair dryer or alarm clock in the room (or let alone any clock at all)...or maybe it's the cold hard floors instead of carpet so they won't have to vacuum it....or maybe it's referring to the shower pressure that you couldn't even rinse the shampoo out of your hair with?! Who knows, all I know that the room was nice for the price we paid, but the lack of perks to the room made me wish I had paid the same price for a less nicer room with more features. If you're looking for a nice clean place to sleep (and only sleep) at a decent price then this is it...just don't expect to have cold drinks or a nice shower...oh and make sure you bring a clock. Also, both times we went to reception we had to wait for a break in conversation on the personal calls being made by the receptionist. Almost felt like I was inconveniencing her with my question.....Can I get a cup of coffee?!...Anywhere?!...PLEASE!!!!

Room Tip: Bring a hairdryer, fridge and alarm clock with you and familiarize yourself with the ways of ganja...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Mount Albert ON
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband and I wanted to save $ staying 1 night at the Buffalo-Amherst NY Motel 6 on Maple Road for $57 instead of our usual reservation at Niagara Falls Blvd near Fashion Outlet Mall which is now over $100. We were very disappointed to see the construction site with renovations taking place in 1/2 of the hotel. Drywall dust everywhere oh what a mess! Limited parking spaces due to dumpsters, tractor trailers, old furniture etc. There is a $3.75 charge for 24 hr internet. I didn't pay this extra cost. No clock, no 2nd nightstand with lamp, no Kleenex, hardwood floors, simple cheap wood furniture (small table + 2 chairs), no free breakfast coffee machine only. The traffic noise from nearby interstate is loud the poor quality windows don't block it out. We took our own pillows. We had a 2nd floor room. Front desk receptionist not always available when she needed to go and help a guest.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Markham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My friend and I went to Buffalo for a shopping weekend and originally booked with Motel 6 by the airport. We used to stay in Amherst but thought this time we'd try another place. Upon arrival the manager asked if we could go to Amherst as his location was under renovation and overbooked by central reservations. Sure, no problem. He called ahead to Amherst and when we arrived about 15 minutes later the lady manager was ready for us. As they were also under renovations, she explained that central reservations refused to stop taking reservations and people were being shuttled about thus creating a lot of aggravation. Head office mandated the day before that she had to open up her newly renovated rooms thus her having to obtain pillows and drapes from another location in order to do this. So we were the first people in this room, new beds, new beige/orange bedspreads, new washroom and laminate floors. No pictures on the walls yet and the drapes were about 10 inches too short for the window. Too funny. We were only in the room for about 10 hours so just wanted someplace clean and respectable to sleep and shower. Our room was on the expressway side but we weren't much bothered by the noise. Ear plugs would solve that problem. The hallways/stairs cases also had a fresh coat of paint. Best part - Motel 6 picked up the tab including my friends WiFi. The manager thanked us for being understanding, saying some people had cussed her out. We got a free room - what's not to like.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
hamilton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

As my title states, stay away from this place. I am surprised I did not leave bitten from bed bugs or other insects. Not worth any money at all. Went over the boarder for the Canadian long weekend in September with my friend and her family. They were able to get a staff discount so thats one of the reasons this place was chosen. The other was because they had a non smoking room as non of us on this trip were smokers, also because it was close to places we were going to shop at for the weekend. This is what I observed when I arrived.

1. The person at the desk was rude, and unfriendly!

2. The stairwells were DIRTY! Cob webs, spiders, etc were everywhere. It was clear to see that it is not cleaned, just like the rest of the hotel.

3. The room oh my god, psh it was atrocious! The sheets had stains on them as well as hairs stuck in the sheet from previous guests. We reserved a non smoking room but when I walked in the bathroom, there was still cigarette ashes on the floor, again from a previous guest. The toilet paper holder was quite a reach when sitting on the toilet. There were hairs still in the tub, again from the previous guest. Thank God I brought a pair of long pants, and a long shirt with flip flops to sleep in.

4. We did not get a good sleep as people kept slamming the doors very loudly all night. So much that I was awaken in the middle of the night and was not able to get back to bed.

5. In the morning I wanted to iron my clothes as they wrinkled from being folded up all night. I phone numerous times to the desk and no one answered. When I finallly got someone on the phone, I asked for an iron and she stated someone was using the one they had, and it was the only one in the building. I asked if she knew when they would be done with it, she said she did not know. She was not at all helpful in this situation! I eneded up just wearing a different outfit that was not as wrinkled.

All in all, this was the worst hotel experience EVER! I would not return or recommend anyone to go there. In the morning we complained to the person at the desk and she gave us back half of our money. which was about $50. The total for the room was about $100 so we paid $50 in the end for that terrible service with NO amenities! The owner of this place needs to take some serious clues and hints as to what is going on in his establishment. I think it is almost safe to believe that they do not care as they do not respond back to anyones claims here on trip advisor as all of the other major hotels do. I think you should, it may earn you some better reviews. Many people on here do not have good things to say about your establishment.
Wish I took pictures to show all that was wrong with this place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Mississauga, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Cheap - with senior discount we paid $100.33 for two nights in late December, including $2.99/night for wifi coverage - which was good. The place was clean, staff friendly, checkin and checkout fast. Zero additional amenities except for free morning coffee.
The whole purpose of the trip was to do some cross border shopping - with the new 48 hour allowances it's well worth it. Beds not the most comfortable we've ever slept on - and some traffic and airplane noise.

But you get what you pay for - and we'd take this place over a Super8 any day.

Room Tip: less noise if you can get away from the highway. Ground floor seems to be completely non-smoking
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights Nov 9 &10.
We booked this motel because of the lower price, 2 nights for the same price of 1 @ others.
We had room 118 which is near the entrance.
We were constantly awaken by the traffic noise of the express way beside the motel.
The heater in the room sounded like a airplane taking off and the exhaust fan in the bathroom did not work, these were reported to the front desk but nothing was done.

Room Tip: take a backside room maybe less noise
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Motel 6 Buffalo - Amherst? Share your experiences!