“Pleasant Stay & Super Friendly Staff - Great Location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Flint Road, Amherst, NY 14226 (Formerly Hotel Indigo Buffalo Amherst)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Family Fun Package
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Amherst
Toronto, ON
“Pleasant Stay & Super Friendly Staff - Great Location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

This hotel is situated in Amherst which is perfect if you're the shopper looking to score some deals. There are many big box stores up the street. Walden Galleria is approx 10 mins away and the Outlets are approx 30 mins away. The great things about this hotel are: friendly staff, room cleanliness, easy check-in & check out.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

TMolendaInnKeeper, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Hi Cosmikpink,

I appreciated the title of your review, Thank you. I also think you did a wonderful job detailing the shopping venues in our neighborhood, you could actually write ad copy for us. Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we appreciate all comments as they help us and everyone reading these make better decisions.

Tom Molenda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Clean hotel, very polite and pleasant staff. We were there for only one night and since my husband is a diamond member, they upgraded us to a suite. All in all, we had no problems. I always have one questions for most hotels - why do they not give shower caps? I always have to ask for one.

Hello Arctush,

Thank you for being a Hilton HHonor Diamond Member, we appreciate your loyalty. Also thank you for the kind words about our hotel and our hospitality team, we appreciate the feed back.
Lastly, the shower cap question. Good question by the way. I have been in the hospitality field for 30 years and have seen some amenities come and go. I am not exactly sure when the shower cap started making its exit from an in room standard but I do know if you make your reservation directly with me at my email below, I will ensure you will always have one waiting in your room.

Safe Travels,

tmolenda@harthotels.com
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

This is by far the worst Double tree hotel, in fact I found out that the staff are not trained originally with Hilton. The GM and other staff are the left overs of the bankrupt hotel called Indigo. Hilton took it over but really should have retrained the staff or sent them away. This explains the terrible customer service. I only liked the day staff at the coffee shop at breakfast. At the front desk, it depended on who was working. My daughter was asleep when we arrived, so I didn't get her a cookie. Then the following day she asked for a cookie. The front desk person said NO because it's for people when they arrive. Right there I should have realized something was wrong. Been to many DT's and they give cookies without any question. Maybe this place is too lazy to put more in the heater. What happened after that was funny. The maid came running after us and gave my daughter a cookie. She over heard and thought the person was out of line. Pretty sad when a maid gives better front desk service compared to front desk. Guess the maid was Hilton trained and not front desk. WE had a noisy heater in the room and the mirrors had smear marks. Management should use more eco friendly products because it's not the housekeeping fault with what they use. Very strong chemical smell. Found the hotel floors with hardwood not very practical. No closets and no fridge. I have never seen a hotel room without a mini fridge. The pool area had no towels every time we went. The bartender in the evening was so slow and kept screwing up orders. Also had drinks put on my bill which didn't belong to us. Took a long time to get that voided. All and all, I would have stayed at the other Hilton hotel down the street. I didn't know there was one there. I notice this manager only comments on a couple of reviews. The other hotels have managers answering all reviews within a week. No surprise.

So as mentioned in the title, This is not a real Hilton hotel. It is an old Indigo Hotel which was bought out by Hilton. They have not done a good job with this place. It needs to retrain management from the top down. Especially with the Marriot and other hotels near by. Better attention needs to be given to make this a believable Double Tree hotel. Also, bad toilets. They kept overflowing and needing a plunger after every use. YUCK!!!!!!
Hilton corporate needs to do a review on this hotel to improve it's image.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
TMolendaInnKeeper, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Hello Tessa W,

Thank you for your review. While I appreciate your comments, as I do all those who submit reviews, I would like to take this opportunity to provide some facts regarding some of the statements you made in your review then hopefully I can address the actual operational shortcomings you experienced during your stay.

- We are in fact a certified DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel. We are owned and operated by a management company which owns the property and operates under license from Hilton. This is common in the hotel industry as franchising by the brand allows them to grow in number and create market awareness for our guests. There are 288 DoubleTree by Hilton Hotels open in the America's today, most of which are owned by private owners, management companies, or publicly traded companies all operating under license from Hilton.

- The Hotel Indigo, which is a main stream boutique hotel brand operated by Intercontinental Hotels Group is in fact not bankrupt. They are actually doing fine with 60+ hotels open and operating under the Indigo flag. We opted to change our brand flag back in May of 2012 to become part of the Hilton family of brands. This conversion came with many expenses and countless hours of brand certified training. These training requirements do not end once we put a sign up. We have hundreds of training hours required annually as a property and we take them seriously. Additionally as the General Manager I scored a 93% on my Hilton entrance exam. While I did not receive a 100% I can assure you I strive for that score daily.

I will now address your operational concerns;

You are absolutely correct about the cookie. It is our Brand Standard that we provide a cookie to every guest at check in and upon request during ones stay. I have circled back with my team to reiterate this policy. We may have experienced a shortage of cookies due to a large amount of youth groups in the hotel which stressed our cookie supply. While this is not an excuse, we simply tried our best to service everyones needs. I can assure you, we are not to lazy to make cookies, we actually enjoy it as the smell of them baking fills the lobby. I would be more than happy to Federal Express you a tin of cookies for you and your families enjoyment.

Since I do not have all of your room information I cannot determine if we tried addressing some of your displeasures or to see if you registered any of these concerns while in the hotel as we always try and rectify any issues at the time they occur. We also understand that issues do arise and in general we are poised and ready to rectify them if by chance we missed something. I can speak to the comment of the hard wood flooring. This interior design choice usually comes with positive reviews from a cleanliness perspective and even just a different look and feel compared to the traditional in room carpeting which hides dirt and traps allergens. I am sorry you did not like them. All of our rooms do not come with refrigerators, however we do have many room types that do. I usually suggest to our guests to simply book that room style when making your reservations or call our guest service line and we will deliver one to your room. I will say that we only have a certain number of mobile units for on demand delivery and we provide these units on an as requested basis.

Tessa, our goal is to ensure 100% guest satisfaction. If we do not achieve this goal for what ever the reason, I always like to try and determine why. I welome the opportunity to speak with you personally about your stay as this review does not give me dates and time stamps for me to further my investigation into the matters at hand.

716.689.4414
tmolenda@harthotels.com
Miami, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Free airport shuttle not was "busy" - add $25 for Taxi from airport. Burger was way overcooked - unless you like it well done. And the heater was very loud in my room. The rooms and staff were nice and the breakfast for HHonors members was a good deal - hot off a short menu with a custom coffee.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

TMolendaInnKeeper, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Hello Glenn B,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I was troubled to hear we had a slow down with our shuttle service in picking you up from the airport. Our shuttle service is complimentary and we are usually spot on with our timing and service from this amenity. Please contact me directly so we may discuss the in room heater and so we may also discuss your overdone burger, as we do cook all burgers to a medium well doneness unless otherwise stated by our guests.

I am glad you enjoyed your accommodations, our Hilton Honors Breakfast, and service teams.

You should have also received an email directly from us to further discuss the items above.

Thank you again for your review.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

It's a very clean and friendly staffed hotel with a pool and whirlpool and only 30 mins from the falls and Canada border. Good at the hotel a little not reasonable but a great atmosphere. Hotel is easy access to the highway. The rooms are spacious and clean.

Stayed November 2013
Hello Aceblum 86,

Thank you for submitting your review. I was pleased to read that you were pleased with our friendly service, cleanliness standards and location. We hope you will visit again soon and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Safe Travels,

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Stayed here at the beginning of the month. Horrible service at the bar. Came back from a wedding reception that had no alcohol. We came back to the hotel bar and the very unpleasant woman said last call was made. The bar was full of people and we saw a guy still get served. We couldn't believe it. We ended up going to the pizza joint down the street. I thought I was at a Motel 8 not a Hilton. However as I read the reviews I noticed that we should have stayed at the Hilton homewood suites. The GM responds to all the reviews at homewood. I would not recommend this place. The pizza place said it happens all the time. They constantly get people from this hotel. I rate the pizza joint as the better place.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Hello Dee N.,

Thank you for your review. I do apologize for the bar giving last call prior to your arrival and prior to you being able to be served an alcoholic beverage. It was not our intention to refuse service to you, however our staff is trained in serving alcohol with care and in conjunction with security personnel felt it to be wise to adhere to the last call ruling based on certain situations which took place at the bar prior to your arrival. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience and would be more than happy to provide you with a complimentary bevergae on your next visit.

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stayed two nights in November 2013. Attractive hotel, very friendly staff, clean with very comfortable beds and pleasant room. Also great location if you are there for shopping. So why only 3 stars out of five?
I can't recall a meaner bathroom - I've occasionally stayed in hotels with similar bathrooms but they rated one or two stars, not three and a half. No bath, just a shower stall, nowhere to hang or rest towels etc. Also soundproofing between rooms and adjacent rooms and corridor was awful.
I got a good price on Priceline but if I had paid anywhere near the asking price I would not be happy..

Room Tip: Get a room away from ice-making machines.