“Great Jazz OK Food” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Williamsville, New York
“Great Jazz OK Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have been to the Iris several times in the past few months, mainly for the music. The food has improved with new ownership, but the entrees are average at best. This may be because they seem to go through many chefs. Ask for a menu from the Library, a bar that is attached to the restaurant. I found the wine list very mediocre and I actually ordered beer and I seldom drink beer. They do have many excellent choices of beer and ales. If you like good jazz, I would suggest ordering appetizers or bar food and enjoy the atmosphere of the venue.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Buffalo, New York
“Drinks need help! Appetizers-not bad!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We decided to check out Iris to see a jazz quartet that was playing there on a Friday evening. We didn't have dinner, just drinks and snacks. A friend I was with had eaten dinner there before, and was not impressed.
I really like the atmosphere, it was comfortable, and fairly upscale. Very good set-up for listening to music, we sat near the bar and the music was near the back, so we could still carry on conversation while the music played.
The problem here is with the drinks, mixed drinks to be exact. I ordered a lemon drop martini, and a friend ordered vodka and cranberry with soda. The guys just ordered beer on tap, which of course was fine, and from a large selection. Well, drinks came, and I could not detect ANY vodka in my drink. Mostly tasted like drink mix. My friends cocktail was mainly soda. Fortunately, our waiter, an attentive and personable young man, came over to check on us and he asked about the drinks. We were honest, and told him that we were not thrilled. He took my drink back, and came back with a stronger version that basically had no taste, other than vodka. Long story short, both our drinks went back and he made us both a vodka drink using flavored vodkas and soda. We enjoyed the drinks, (not something I would have ordered), then I switched to beer, and my friend switched to wine!!
Appetizers were very good, chicken wings were perfectly made, crispy and great tasting. Chicken fingers were the same, fresh and hot.
I will definetly return to Iris, I just won't be ordering any mixed drinks, I'll be sticking to beer!

• Visited July 2012