“The best German restaurant in the Buffalo area!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 113 Restaurants in Amherst
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are located in a little plaza just south of Ellicott Creek Rd (next to the Classics V Banquet Center). Plenty of parking behind the plaza.
Buffalo, New York
“The best German restaurant in the Buffalo area!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I moved to Buffalo from the Milwaukee area. Being from Milwaukee, I grew up eating at some of the best German restaurants in the United States. As a result, I brought very high standards with me to Buffalo.

I have had some very nice and enjoyable meals at the city's other German restaurants; however, I did not find a truly magnificent German dinner until dining at the Black Forest Adler.

With your dinner entree, you get a bowl of the house salad. The house salad has greens on top with potato salad below. Both are fantastic and the buried potato salad arrives as an unexpected but very appreciated surprise.

I had the jaeger schnitzel as my entree with an additional side order of potato pancakes. The potato pancakes arrived as an order of four. The pancakes were fried to perfection with a nice crunchy "crust." I did not dress the pancakes with either sour cream or apple sauce and very much enjoyed the full potato taste.

The jaeger schnitzel was served with spaetzle. The spaetzle was also perfectly prepared - nice and firm, definitely not mushy. A good portion of the spaetzle was lightly browned with crisp edges.

Finally, the jaeger schnitzel blew me away. The sauce was perfect - well-flavored without being overpowering. Large chunks of fresh mushrooms complimented the sauce and the crisp coating surrounding the schnitzel.

The meal was amazing. The beer selection is also noteworthy. I tried three different German beers styles and they were all excellent. While I would have preferred the beers served from a tap rather than a bottle, that is a very small quibble with an otherwise amazing meal.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
blackforestadler, Owner at Black Forest Adler, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review, and we're so glad you enjoyed dining with us. Gerhard is not only a native German, he was trained in classic German cuisine and spent many years as a chef and
restaurant owner in Germany, which is why our new motto is "Authentic German Cuisine from Western New York's Authentic German Chef". We hope to someday take a culinary tour of German restaurants in the USA, and will be sure to enjoy dining in Milwaukee!

Amherst, New York
“Great German Food and Beer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Great German food like you remember it. Pretty good ambiance and German cooks. Great price for authentic dining.

Visited November 2013
Lewiston, New York
“Great German food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Since they only take reservations for 6 or more, we were advised to come early on a Saturday evening to avoid waiting. We arrived at 6:15, were seated promptly. The server was friendly, prompt and helpful. The Liver Dumpling Soup was delicious, Bavarian Roast Pork was tender and delicious and the German Salad was a great surprise. My husband ordered the pork with peaches & Swiss cheese but liked my dish better, the pork on his was a bit tough. We took home leftovers for lunch along with a piece of Black Forest Cake. We look forward to another visit in the near future & will tell our friends.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Buffalo, New York
“The best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

We love German food! We have found our new restaurant! If you are looking for authentic German food this is it. The atmosphere is good and friendly service is exceptional. I do wish that they would play more German music and bring in a more authentic German decor. You will not find a better place! Take your friends and introduce them to German food!

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Fabulous!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

A wonderful restaurant with great authentic German food. Make sure you go there hungry as the portions are huge and I've not been able to clean my plate yet! I've enjoyed many meals there, and one look around the full dining room tells me I'm not alone!

• Visited December 2013