“Good for long stays” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 17 hotels in Amherst
Albany, New York
“Good for long stays”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This is an extended stay so the rooms come with a kitchenette: microwave, electric stovetop, fridge/freezer, even a dishwasher, and cabinets and drawers full of everything you need for the kitchen. There is a small kitchen table with one office chair and one dining chair and a flat screen TV with DirecTV. Also because of this being extended stay, they only do weekly housekeeping visits so it is rather nice not to worry about someone coming into your room daily. I don't mind not having my bed made everyday, its not an important detail to me.

I had enough towels for the week without having to request extras. The bathrooms are nicer than most hotels, with plenty of storage under the granite countered sink. They provide you with a conditioning shampoo by Pantene which is actually nice compared to many hotel shampoos. I used it the whole week and still took half the bottle home. The floor plan of the bathroom can be a bit awkward because the door swing comes within a centimeter or two of the countertop near the inside corner.

There is a thermostat so you can easily control the temperature in the room. It goes off when it doesn't detect your being in the room, but the moment I'd return every night I could hear it kick back on. What I didn't like about it was if it was too warm, I'd dial it down a few degrees and then the air conditioning would kick on but really I just wanted the heat to turn off and allow the room to drop to that temperature on its own. I had to use a lot of heat because there wasn't a heavy enough throw on the bed to keep warm.

The bed is soft enough, but my sleep wasn't the greatest. If you don't need to get up earlier than 6:45/7AM I would recommend requesting a room on the entrance side of the hotel. On Tuesday and Thursday mornings, the garbage man comes to the hotel perpendicular to the backside of the Candlewood and that woke me up miserably. The beeping is extremely loud and goes on for at least 15 minutes. Luckily the second time around I already had to be up but if I didn't, I would've been miserable again. Right after checking in, I was worried to see that my room was right off of the elevator but this noise actually didn't disturb me much. The one other noise that I think prevented my good sleep was the fridge. Of course a fridge goes on and off constantly, but to have it right where you sleep is distracting. I was considering attempting to unplug it since I really wasn't using it.

There is a decent gym room and they have what they call The Cupboard, which has drinks, small scale food items, toiletries you may have forgotten, candy, snacks, yogurts, some fruits, even tubs of ice cream. It works on the honor system so you serve yourself and you can either fill out a tab and charge it to your room or simply drop cash in the slot. Its pretty convenient for a small breakfast or a snack.

Checking out is also a breeze, you simply tell the desk your room number and that you are checking out. For the great price, you can't beat this hotel even for a shorter stay.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

98 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We were impressed with the amenities provided -- kitchenette included a dishwasher. Stovetop, full fridge, microwave, toaster -- everything you need if you prefer to do it yourself. Room was clean, staff very friendly, and room rate was very reasonable. The only downside was the WiFi, it wasn't terrific so I had spotty connectivity. Lots of great shopping and restaurants nearby.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Whitby, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stay here a few times per year. Always clean, quiet and comfortable. Staff is always eager to help out. They try to think of your every need while you are away and staying in a hotel. Love the kitchenette.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Markham, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights with our 3 month old on a weekend getaway/shopping trip.

Location/Access: roughly in between Niagara Fashion Outlets and Walden Galleria, so if you're planning on hitting each place on separate days, it's a great location; lots of restaurants close to the area;

Room: our room (#210) was directly above the entrance doors, so at times (especially at night), we can hear when people were coming in and out -- eventually though, it turns into background noise and don't even notice; the convenience of having a kitchenette was very convenient for travelling with a 3 month old, and heating up leftovers!

Staff: very friendly staff; quick and hassle free check-in/out;

Other: No, there is no daily housekeeping, but if you do not require daily towel changes or if you keep your room as clean as you would at home -- you should have any issues :)

Overall: both my wife and I are happy we chose to stay at Candlewood Suites!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Warsaw, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed one night on our way home from vacation. The hotel is very nice and in an excellent area, very safe. Lots of restaurants close to the hotel. The staff was very nice and helpful with any questions. The room was very clean and very nice, especially if you were staying for more than one night. The beds were comfortable. My only complaint would be that the only sink and mirror is in the bathroom, so it wasn't possible for all 3 of us to get ready at the same time. I prefer hotels that have a sink and mirror in the both the bathroom and outside the bathroom.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
North of Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

My teenaged daughter and I stayed here for a weekend shopping trip. The hotel was very clean, bright, well appointed and in a great location for shopping and restaurants. The room was very comfortable and the highlight was the kitchenette which we used several times for making popcorn in the microwave and for enjoying cheesecake and coffee (which we brought home from the Cheesecake Factory Restaurant). We enjoyed the free wifi and we also used the self-serve "kitchen cupboard" store in the lobby for drinks and snacks. Very convenient. My only complaint is that our room had only one queen bed. At check-in we were provided with a cot - which made the space in the room it bit tight. It was not a great solution for my very tall teenager. However, she didn't complain so I didn't push it.There is no daily housekeeping so fresh towels and sheets are conveniently located in a storage area near the lobby along with extra pillows and bedding. It was a great stay and I would go back again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three nights while we were in NY for a funeral. I loved the little kitchen and the room was quite comfortable. Everything was clean. I also liked the little 'honor system' store where you could buy snacks and where there was always free coffee. My only complaints are there isn't daily housekeeping service and you can hear a lot of noise from the room above you. It'd have been a perfect stay if we were on the top level!

Room Tip: Pick a room on the top level so you don't hear the people above you!