“Great for price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Boulevard Inn

You added Boulevard Inn to your Saves list
Boulevard Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   785 Niagara Falls Boulevard, Amherst, NY 14226 (Formerly University Manor Motel)   |
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Amherst
“Great for price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

I stayed here in Jan of 2012. I booked a jacuzzi suite and was a little worried based on some other reviews. They were completely false. The staff was friendly and accomodating. My room was very clean, the jacuzzi tub was big and clean. I could tell the room had new carpeting and had been updated. The bathroom is a little dated, but again, it was nice and clean. I will absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Novosibirsk, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Boulevard Inn for two nights in November 2011. The room we had was cozy, though requiring a renewal in some ways. The bedding was clean, everything was in working order. It was a very convenient location for us to explore Buffalo and Niagara Falls. We would definitely be back if visiting Buffalo again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
rio grande, New Jersey, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

Clean room,low price, good location near mall and restaurants.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Baldwinsville, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

My husband and I booked a room for one night. We are not picky people; we have stayed in many hotels before. The second we stepped into the room, the smell was overwhelming. It was a mix of mold and cigarettes. The window was open on a 90 degree day, so I shut it and turned on the air conditioner. I immediately took off the coverlet to find a stained blanket and sheets. I opened the fridge to put our leftovers in it and discovered that someone had spilled something red in the freezer. No one bothered to clean it out. There was obviously some scary damage to the walls that they tried to cover up unsuccessfully. My husband and I asked for a refund, and we were told that he could not do that since we have already checked in five minutes before. The only thing they could do was upgrade us to the king jacuzzi room, but they charged us extra for it. Thinking that it would be better and since it was our only option, we did it to save us some sanity. It was not much better. The smell was less intense, but the room was definitely not clean! The blanket had stains on it, and the walls were dirty and damaged. In addition, the jacuzzi had dirt on the bottom of it and the mirrors surrounding the jacuzzi had hand prints all over it. We gave up and stayed the night...but we needed a few drinks to do it! At least the room was more spacious than the regular room. We definitely did not use their linens, and we left first thing in the morning!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Westminster, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

Badly needs renovating in total, carpet was very dirty, bad smells, paint and wall paper coming off. This was the worst motel I ever stayed at ! This is a dump to say the least.
I was charged $129 and saw a sign in the room stating $79 and they would not honor it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

This is a very convenient location. Recent renovations look good. The standard queen bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed November 2010
Warren, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

I read the reviews, but there were only three and not very current, so here is the scoop. First I want to say that I’m not a stuck up Ramada Inn only guy. In fact we usually stay at the cheaper hotels like hotel 6, Super 8 or even Red roof Inn. I wished we would have stayed at one of these places this time too. My wife and 14 year old daughter were with me on this trip.

When we pulled up to the room and saw the holes in the screen front window and the shutters broken we figured we were in trouble. We were right. We were told on the phone that the room was newly remodeled and painted. The (mildew?) smell hit you hard when you walked in the door but I figured we would turn on the air conditioner and go and eat and maybe the smell would be better when we got back. Wrong! If anything it was worse. I wondered why four or five rooms that were rented had their doors opened when we pulled up. Theirs smelled too maybe? We tried to get another room but they didn’t have another room with two beds. I drove around and tried to get another hotel but all were booked in the area for the night. A motel six worker even called several for me, bless her for that. I even called them all back the following afternoon hoping for cancellations, but still no rooms were available.
The plumbing was very old but worked except for the drain stopper for the tub that we found out the next day that you have to get from the manager, so no bath for my wife that night; that really made her happy. Also the hot in the sink barely ran more than a trickle. No counter space in the bathroom, just a wall hung sink. No electrical outlets in the bathroom for curling iron, hair blower or electric razor. I wonder, how many women would stay in a hotel if they knew there were no counter space or electrical outlets in the bathroom? The one usable outlet in the room was near the air conditioner by the door, so bring an extension cord if your wife needs to look in the mirror at the same time she uses her appliances. Oh, also the outlets for the fridge and microwave and by the air conditioner didn’t have electrical cover plates on them, so small children could get seriously hurt or even killed if not watched carefully. The manager told us it’s because they just painted and removed them for that. OK, how about putting them back. The smoke alarm didn’t work which they fixed for the next day, but still no covers on the plug receptacles. A strange observation made by my daughter, one side of the curtains over the air conditioner was a foot longer than the other side? There was also two areas of black something on top of the white baseboard molding that I thought was mold, but I was able to wipe it off with water so it doesn’t look like they clean like they should. If it was just painted how did black dirt get on the top of the molding so fast? There was a tile along the floor wall in the bathroom that was missing and it was very black inside there. Mold? Our daughter begged me to find another place to stay.

I told the manager that they made ozone air purifiers that would clean up the room smell and he said he would tell the owner. The manager was polite and tried his best to accommodate us.
However the manager told us he didn’t smell the smell in our room. He even said the help couldn’t smell it. They all must be used to it is all I can figure, cause its one of the worst smells I have ever smelled and I don’t have the best nose for smelling. The next day when we checked out, we drove for two hours and stopped to eat and the smell hit us again when we got back in our car. It must have absorbed into our clothes and suitcases and now our whole car smell like the hotel room.

Pluses: Price, fridge and microwave, beds were comfortable, Internet-very slow and have to get a key from the manager. It looks like the roof was newly shingled and the black top parking lot was nice except for one large pothole.

Minuses: No clock radio, smells, very old and run down, not as clean as should be, no electrical outlets where needed, bath tub stopper, almost everything.

I’m Sorry, but I could never stay or recommend anyone ever to this establishment. I didn’t ask for a refund or discount, didn’t figure there was any sense. I’m just caulking this up as lesson learned and hope to keep someone from making the same mistake we did. I know they’ll probably just write another “under new management” in the future to get people to stay there, but at least future goers to this place can ask if the electric has been updated so you can use a hair dryer in the bathroom. I guess the smell can’t be tested until you get there, so good luck if you try this place. I know I won’t again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
managerAmherst_NY, Manager at Boulevard Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2010
It is always unfortunate to have a guest that isn't happy. This was a puzzling situation because I was faced with a complaint about an odor that wasn't noticeable to anyone else. The room had been painted recently as well as having new a carpet installed. There was perhaps a slight scent from the new paint and carpet, which would be expected. Neither myself, nor my housekeeping staff, could find any evidence of the offensive odor cited by the guest.

A couple from Toronto rented the same room for the 3 days preceding this guest's stay and were completely satisfied with the accommodations. The same is true of a family that rented the room for 2 nights after.

The "slow" internet service they complained about is a high speed fiber service routed with top of the line Cisco access points. Most people understand the necessity of having the service secured with a WEP key and do not view that as an inconvenience.

I am not going to continue with a lengthy rebuttal of this guest's review except to say that once I told them we could not find the mysterious odor, I was immediately threatened with a Trip Advisor review. At that point, I can only conclude that they were on a witch hunt to come up with things to complain about, after all they did stay a 2nd night. I could have found them other accommodations with one phone call had they asked.

Been to Boulevard Inn? Share your experiences!